Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello - New to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Altec has the MAGIC!

Altec got the Magic and then "POOF" They Vanished

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    I was wondering if yiu are related to my cousin fubar?
    Regards
    Michael
    No sir . . . lol!

Quote Originally Posted by garyl View Post
    One thing I picked right up on Robin was "The wife didn't like the high end of the 19s"
    Second thing was that you repaired the leads!

My guess, The repair may have made the connection and also stymied the wonderful sound from one of Altecs premier HF drivers.

I would be willing to bet your wife would like them just fine if they were working right. Also considering the fact they were both fried, its also possible the heat caused some demag and a recharge was in order.

I would certainly match my 802-8Gs against anything you mentioned above. If the wife likes higher highs then get a set of BMS 4552s and bolt them right up with no other changes necessary.

You are in the right place and welcome aboard. I can't imagine needing or useing all the power you have available but then I've been know to get a little loud at times myself.

JBLs are some mighty fine speakers as well and you won't be unhappy with some of their higher end stuff. You will be a bit more broke with anything to meet or exceed what you have now in Altecs.

Gary
    Gary, thanks for the input. Those JBLs look quite interesting - I've never seen them either. As for the 19s, they're long gone. I did not mention though that the original foam around the horns was long gone by the time I'd gotten them. I'm not sure what kind of impact that would have on the overall sound . . . This is the only experience I've had with the 811 horns and honestly, I just didn't like the fact that the crossover point was so high. I guess I'd just gotten spoiled by the 511s in my others. Interestingly enough, I kind of expected that I'd feel similar about the 14s as the Mantaray horns in them are crossed over even higher. Much to my surprise, I simply love the way the 14s sound.

The repair on the lead wires to the diaphragms was easy - no chance that could have damaged the coils as I was super careful with the heat. I also did the repairs with the diaphragm out of the motor. I will tell you this, I would definitely give a second pair of 19s a chance though! What I find most interesting is how much I like the bass of the 14s, given the woofers in them are such a radically different design than 411-8As and along the lines of the "typical" Altec sound.

My experience with the vintage JBL stuff has been quite limited. I've only ever owned a pair of speakers someone built from JBL plans. They had a pair of LE15s, PR15s, LE85s, and a two way crossover that I can't remember the model number of. I pulled the components and sold them to David Yo (anyone remember him?) and raised enough cash to buy a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 5s, which I still own to this day. These speakers came with a McIntosh MX110 and MC240 that my dad bought as a "stereo set" at an auction for the lump sum of $70.00. That's what got me started. The Polks were a MUCH better match for the MC240, but I often wonder how much better the JBL stuff could have sounded in a different enclosure than they came to me in.

Of all the JBL stuff, what seems to catch my eye the most is the L300s. I've come close a couple times to buying a pair, but just couldn't make it happen. Maybe one of these days . . .

It's a two-hour drive, but you might want to at least chat with member Jackgiff in Prescott....

I live on the border of Phoenix and Tempe.

I would be honored if a forum member wanted to come take a listen to my JBL 250TIs.

FWIW, Zilch - Jack is only about an hour and a half...but whos counting?

-Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    It's a two-hour drive, but you might want to at least chat with member Jackgiff in Prescott....

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    BEST of all, my wife lets me keep these big boxy speakers around because she loves the sound of them as well.
    You don't have to have golden ears to hear pleasing sounds out of Altecs. Many of my non-audio friends were really impressed and surprised the first time they heard my home-built box with Altec/EV drivers. They all thought I was a speaker engineer/designer, but I had to correct them that I only built the box, the rest of the components came from a factory.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Altec got the Magic and then "POOF" They Vanished
    Yeah, but it wasnt by Altecs choice! Telex, The Evil Warlock, acquired Altec in the 90,s, and Telex ( EV,s parent company ) made Altec disappear!

But Bill H, The Good Speaker Prince, began Great Plains Audio to keep alive the tradition of well made American High Efficiency Magic Speakers, and I have found favor with their 416-8C Magic Woofers!

May The Voice Of The Theater Be With You!

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I live on the border of Phoenix and Tempe.

I would be honored if a forum member wanted to come take a listen to my JBL 250TIs.

FWIW, Zilch - Jack is only about an hour and a half...but whos counting?

-Storm
    I'm in Chandler, but work at Rockford in Tempe - might have to take you up on that . . .

Scotty!!!!

Yeah, but it wasnt by Altecs choice! Telex, The Evil Warlock, acquired Altec in the 90,s, and Telex ( EV,s parent company ) made Altec disappear!

But Bill H, The Good Speaker Prince, began Great Plains Audio to keep alive the tradition of well made American High Efficiency Magic Speakers, and I have found favor with their 416-8C Magic Woofers!

That's priceless.

00Robin

please forgive me if I am really that stupid but....are these new that you are talking about,and if so where are they available? Remember I'm just the nice lady that loves perfect sound.

If I may do the honors.......

Quote Originally Posted by 00Robin View Post
    please forgive me if I am really that stupid but....are these new that you are talking about,and if so where are they available? Remember I'm just the nice lady that loves perfect sound.

Yes, they are new. Here's the address:http://greatplainsaudio.com/ Call Bill if you have questions, he rarely answers emails.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    Yes, they are new. Here's the address:http://greatplainsaudio.com/ Call Bill if you have questions, he rarely answers emails.
    Yes, thats true, and call Bill around 4 to 5 his time, Oklahoma City is an hour behind NY time. he answers the phone. He will tell you what you want to know, make recommendations, etc!

And Bill is a really nice guy, and his products are superb!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by 00Robin View Post
    They are available on ebay, but you call Bill and do buisiness direct with him. Great Plains Audio 1-405-789-0221

The 416-8C,s are made brand new, and sound great. A forum member, Allen Mueller just got two and installed them in his A7,s in his home, PM and ask him for his opinion!
    scottyj

Well that's a nice fable but when I sat in Bill's office and had a chat with him over a cup of coffee the story was not so suger coated

Althought the part about Bill being a Good guy is spot on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Well that's a nice fable but when I sat in Bill's office and had a chat with him over a cup of coffee the story was not so suger coated

Althought the part about Bill being a Good guy is spot on!!!
    Yeah, Im sure about that. But, I made this up to be humorous. The part about keeping alive the tradition of well made American speakers is true as well.

Bill is a nice guy, and I am glad he is making speakers too. They sound good, they really do.

scottyj

Thread Information