Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead ears?

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post

Another member has put me on to these: http://www.hammerdynamics.com/ Single driver, much larger, augmented with a neo tweet nearly on axis above 10khz. After my recent revelation I fully intend to build a pair of these in the future.

Clark in Peoria
    There are some very nice cabinet finishes in the photo section. It's an intriguing design.

also I hear sometimes gladly 1 way. An old Philips Fullrange, drive by 4 Watts of triode Amp (sorry Finish is not completely). I say always little bass, few heights however each much music. Very good imaging and pretty Vocals.

regards

juergen
    Attached Images Attached Images   

WOW!

I am very impressed.

Nice job!

-Storm.

JBL used to claim not to make 3-ways. By crossing at 7k or higher they called them augmented 2-ways, saying this was above all music fundamentals and therefore the crossover wasn't nearly so critical. If you disagree with this, I'm only quoting, and though it makes sense to me, I'm not informed enough to actually stake out a position on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    JBL used to claim not to make 3-ways. By crossing at 7k or higher they called them augmented 2-ways, saying this was above all music fundamentals and therefore the crossover wasn't nearly so critical. If you disagree with this, I'm only quoting, and though it makes sense to me, I'm not informed enough to actually stake out a position on this.
    Yes, thats the way I remember it too. I would prefer less crossover points in the critical midrange, and using a tweeter crossed at 7K is an augmented 2 way, but technically since my horn rolls off where the tweeter comes in, it really is 3 way, but I get the sound and coherence of 2 way through the midband, and a cleaner, and more extended top end using a tweeter, which my 2395,s just cant do.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Yes, thats the way I remember it too. I would prefer less crossover points in the critical midrange, and using a tweeter crossed at 7K is an augmented 2 way, but technically since my horn rolls off where the tweeter comes in, it really is 3 way, but I get the sound and coherence of 2 way through the midband, and a cleeaner, and more extended top end using a tweeter, which my 2395,s just cant do.
    Really, fellas, that is basically JBL marketing language, ghosting in from the past. I guess it's like a good breast augmentation. You know that's not a real boob, but you REALLY want to believe that it is, because, geez, wouldn't it be great if boobs really were like that?

OK, maybe it is.

BUT, I know what my ears tell me. And my ears love the midrange from a great 2 way, plus tweeter. I know, quasi three way!

Very coherent and seamless sounding. Of course, you have to have the right speakers, etc.

My absolute favorite sounding midrange is single point source coax.
    scottyj

Thread Information