Thread: Need advice guys

Need advice guys

I need some advice for a new friend down here. Can someone suggest a decent quality home theater sound system in the 2 grand or better yet, less range? A 5.1 system. He needs 2 of them.

Also any suggestions re LCD 45 to 55 inch flat screens. Once again he needs 2 of them.

His budget is 10 to 12k

Ken

LCD

Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR2 (46") does it for me.

Ken, I can't help with the speaker systems unless he is willing to homebrew some horns. I have an idea for the video display though.

I bought an Epson Cinema 400 720p LCD projector a few months ago. It made several of my friends instantly unhappy with their 40" and 50" plasma sets. Nothing like a bright, clear 8' picture to command your attention for home theatre. Broadcast HD is a real gas.

Epson was running a $500 rebate promotion recently, lowering the price of the 400 to $899. This is several hundred $$ less than I paid. The promotion no longer appears on the Epson site, but is still listed on the Costco.com site:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...at28314&topnav=

pelly3s
    Hitachi makes some great plasmas, with tons of features. I cant remember the model I put into my mothers house but it is one of the better tv's i have worked with. I do deal with some of the Samsung Pro models at work and they seem to be great too.

for a 5.1 system if its just speakers for that then the Tannoy Arena line is great and looks as good as it sounds.

If he doesn't need new, he can free up cash for the speakers and others stuff by using Denon AVR-3600DTS 5.1 receivers. They go for about $150-$300 on eBay and are an incredible value for the money. Stable (but not rated) down to 2 ohms (390WPC) and 110W x 5 into 8 ohms. The sound is near the top of the receiver class (and has been likened to sound "component-like" whatever that means. I love mine!

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s View Post
    Hitachi makes some great plasmas, with tons of features. I cant remember the model I put into my mothers house but it is one of the better tv's i have worked with. I do deal with some of the Samsung Pro models at work and they seem to be great too.

for a 5.1 system if its just speakers for that then the Tannoy Arena line is great and looks as good as it sounds.

I have to vouch for BOTH of these recommendations... especially the Tannoy Arenas. Best satellite-sub system I've encountered, PERIOD, at any price, IMHO.

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thread Information