Thread: woofer impedance folded horns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

woofer impedance folded horns

I have 2 "K" type folded horns with JBL 2205 woofers rated at 16ohms.
    I understand that the woofers should be 3.2ohms. Can I place resistors across the woofer terminals ( Pos. to Neg.) to lower the impedance? What values on the resistors do I need?

I am using the LX-5 network ,8ohms, and the 2440 drivers with horn and lens assembly. The LX-5 actually measures
    12.5ohms.
    Last edited by Esoteric; 08-14-2007 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Addded crossover information.

Uh, that's not a great idea; the resistors would get most of the power and it would just be radiated as heat.

The right answer to the resistor problem would be adding a 4 Ohm resistor in parallel across the 16 Ohm speaker to achieve a 3.2 Ohm load, but it's not the right solution.

The correct solution is to use a different amp that can properly drive the woofer, or recone the speaker to the desired impedance.

folded horns

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    Uh, that's not a great idea; the resistors would get most of the power and it would just be radiated as heat.

The right answer to the resistor problem would be adding a 4 Ohm resistor in parallel across the 16 Ohm speaker to achieve a 3.2 Ohm load, but it's not the right solution.

The correct solution is to use a different amp that can properly drive the woofer, or recone the speaker to the desired impedance.
    Thank you, Harvey for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post

If your current amp is able to drive the speaker/enclosure to a level you are happy with then there is no reason for a new amp. Now the only question is does the crossover match the woofer. If it doesnt it can be modified or replaced. If it is looking for 4ohms and sees 16 it will cross much higher. This may or may not be audible as you undoubtedly have a lot of mechanical roll off as well.

It's also possible that it is so efficient that you are using so little power that you actually could parallel it with a power resistor but I would make sure that I had a problem before I started fixing it.

foldeed horns

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Why is that?
    Hal Cox suggested that impedance and I think Klipsch used 3.2 drivers.

I think the impedance of the original woofers used was a 4ohm woofer, as 3.2 ohms is the DC resistance, not the impedance. Many 4 ohm woofers of the past would read 3.2 ohms on a meter.
    scottyj

folded horns

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I think the impedance of the original woofers used was a 4ohm woofer, as 3.2 ohms is the DC resistance, not the impedance. Many 4 ohm woofers of the past would read 3.2 ohms on a meter.
    You're right. My mistake. The woofers were 4ohms. I don't understand why
    because my woofers blend nicely with the 2440s, but I just wondered what I was missing if anything. The curse of us hi-fi nuts!

Yeah, but if the crossover networks were designed to see a 4 ohm impedance, you arent getting the correct performance using 16 ohm coils.
    scottyj

Thread Information