Thread: Zilch, How Goes the W10GTI 2-Way Project?

Zilch, How Goes the W10GTI 2-Way Project?

Two more 2425Js arrived today, these on 2370 horns. How goes the testing with the W10GTI? These could make killer little monitors in compact cabinets. Anything to report yet?

It's here. Maybe this week....

Interesting that in direct comparison, my LE175/HL-91s are about 0.2-0.4 dBA louder than the 2425/2370. The 175 also has more power in the lower octave (probably due to the older aluminum(?) diaphram).

jbl
    Todd,
    I think you'll like the 2425/2370 combo. Better than the 175, IMO.
    The 2425 combo offers very realistic sound. A neighbor has the 175DLH and says mine sounds better. I agree.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    Todd,
    I think you'll like the 2425/2370 combo. Better than the 175, IMO.
    The 2425 combo offers very realistic sound. A neighbor has the 175DLH and says mine sounds better. I agree.

Ron
    It is not really possible to make a valid comparison in that manner. The only way to tell is to have the two mids looked up in the same system on the same speaker with the same woofer/tweeter/crossover using an A/B switch. That's how I do/did it and even then the results are not exactly comparable because the horns occupy different locations with respect to the woofer/tweeter/baffleboard.

For example, as noted, the LE175 seems slightly louder when the mic is held about 10 feet away between the horns. But raising or lowering the mic will shift the balance such that one or the other horn can be louder relative to the other. They are that close. With musical content they sound quite similar, but pink noise really sounds quite different.

While the 2425 sounds a little more open, and maybe articulate, the 175 seems to better fill the dent at around 700-800 Hz in the midrange response. But there may be a price to pay as there also seems to be a "roughness" in this area that hurts intelligibility.

Listening to the two using the A/B switch, the preference almost changed by the minute and was highly dependant on the audio content. We were listening to "Money For Nothing" and one moment, I would prefer one, the the next, the other.

I had my wife do the same and gave here the A/B switch, and she had the same reaction!

Recognize that in either case, the horn is crossed over to an 075 at about 7,250 Hz so the 2425 may be smoother and/or go higher in frequency than the 175 if used in a 2-way.

But, I've done direct comparisons between my 175s and LE85s and found that my 175s went higher in freq response and sounded better than the 85s I tried. The LE85s were unmolested with the S7 load in early studio cabinets. Go figure?

Thread Information