Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2235H is back and...

2235H is back and...

I noticed that the color of the cone in much darker than the older one. Is it normal that the cone gets much more grey over the years?

Is it just the "paper" changing color, or is something "coming off" over time.

Does this have a influence to the performance of the woofer?

As long as it's a factory cone kit....no worries.

Could be differences in production run colors...and yes...they do fade over time.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Of course it is original JBL kits. Do you think I would use some scum parts? Reducing the value, not to forget the performance? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Of course it is original JBL kits. Do you think I would use some scum parts? Reducing the value, not to forget the performance? No.

Here is a pic of my 4435.

Right is a brandnew cone, left is a bit older.

Oh, and both are original.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I know the older cones had a dark black color but then they started making them with a slight hint of purple in the cone if viewed in daylight???

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Could be differences in production run colors...
    The 2245's are just the opposite, with the original (L) and newer (R)... :dont-know
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

OK. After what I can make of this, some are greyer and some are darker, and there is no real answer to what is what for sure.

Anyway, my system plays again, and I guess what happened (that the yellow spider come loose) will not happen again.

I wonder what is the price for a re-cone job at a professional JBL store in the US? Here in Norway the price is US$ 472,00 (today's exchange NKR>US$) witch include all work and taxes. Freight to and from the importer must be added.

Just wondering.

Lowest price I heard of 6 months ago was around $175 installed by USA dealer

Rolf, it's about C$300.00 here in Canada by an authorised dealer. U.S. / Canadian dollars are getting close to each other.

I'm not trying to pick scabs or suggest that people buy other than factory parts so before the hate mail please read that part again. Also, I'm aware of the factory tie in to this forum. I always hear that aftermarket parts are trash and I'm sure that some are and I'm not sure that any aren't. But with the factory putting out replacement parts on their own schedule I would think a second source would be desirable. Also it wouldn't be that far fetched to think the factory might like the "nuisance" business to go elsewhere, unless of course they have said so. Does JBL make their cones? It seems silly to say that nobody else could make as good a cone so is the theory that only they have the specs? Then how about the drivers where the old specs are liked better than the new ones? Or is the theory that other company's aren't putting their name on it so they don't have the same interest in making sure every is right? Please I'm not advocating anything. Don't waste your hate mail on me I think it's fine to buy only JBL I just have these questions. Also how about the hemp cones? If I get a bunch of hate mail over this it will just mean that someone needs to get a life. Thank you.

Just collecting information Thom

If you put a 2245 surround on a 2240 could you expect it to act like a 2245 as long as you stayed inside 2240 xmax?

I got and am trying to return on Ebay a 2245 frame with a cone with double m surround. This isn't like my 2240's. What cone is it. Speaker was packed wrong so is academic but am curious.

I wonder what is the price for a re-cone job at a professional JBL store in the US? Here in Norway the price is US$ 472,00 (today's exchange NKR>US$) witch include all work and taxes. Freight to and from the importer must be added.

Just wondering.
    This is the price list for Orange County Speaker in Santa Ana, CA. They are factory authorized to do JBLs and I've had several done there. They also do the other major brands.

My last were three 2205s reconed as 2235s in Dec 2005 for $178 each + 7.75% sales tax (now $180 each + tax).

They also sell refoam kits, even through evil-bay.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/ocsrepairprice.html

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    Thank you. Just collecting information Thom
    You didn't hear the one about moose turd pie?

It's just a suggestion, but maybe you could set up a lab and start working on this project. You could begin with the drivers for which JBL no longer makes cones:

112/2108
    124/2203
    D208/2110
    LE8T-2/2115
    LE14A
    LE20

If you could identify recone kits for these speakers that meet original specs you would endear yourself to a lot of people.

David

Just wondering.
    Rolf,

The current price is $180.00usd.

I just check my price list.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    Just collecting information Thom

If you put a 2245 surround on a 2240 could you expect it to act like a 2245 as long as you stayed inside 2240 xmax?

I got and am trying to return on Ebay a 2245 frame with a cone with double m surround. This isn't like my 2240's. What cone is it. Speaker was packed wrong so is academic but am curious.

Information in the wrong ear will surely be disseminated incorrectly somewhere down the line.

But...It sounds like your 2245 with the m-roll surround was reconed with a 2240 kit....or a facsimile of some sorts thereof. Hmmm....I sound like a lawyer...sorry.

But to answer your question....no.

Of course....somebody will probably "yes" though.

2245 and 2240 are different cone assemblies, but the frames are identical.

Thread Information