Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jbl Sub1500 15" Subwoofer 4 Ohm

OMG!

How do I explain another pair of woofers to the wife!
    Last edited by Mr. Widget; 02-20-2004 at 07:34 PM.

RIP 2009
    By my calcs, 47.2 liters = 1.67 cu.ft. - wow! I guess I need to start plugging some numbers into my speaker program.

Yeah, I did those calculations myself. Too bad I bought all 400 of them. I guess we can negotiate a price on a couple.

Seriously, I think I will go the vented route. 4 cu ft with no EQ. But I suppose one can always play with an EQ and a sealed box later. My calc showed a 1.6 cu ft box will require a fair amount of EQ.

Race you to the phone in the morning. They're open at 9:00 AM ET.

RIP 2009
    Seriously, I think I will go the vented route. 4 cu ft with no EQ.
    Yeah, I think so too. That will still leave me room to put a .5 cu.ft. box inside for a 10" mid-bass, (live bass guitar, remember), and still be under my target 6 cu.ft. for mobility.

If I like this new 15", I'll probably sell the 18" 2245 to get a second one, if they're not sold out by then...that way I can have 2 nice subs for the stereo if the band goes bust...

Obsolete
    "I think I will go the vented route. 4 cu ft with no EQ."

I would try 4.0 to 5.0 cubic feet sealed first. It will go almost as low as the old B212 (121A/121H in 2.0 cu. ft. sealed volume with no EQ) in that sized volume without EQ. You might prefer the improved transient response of the sealed enclosure. The driver is designed specifically for use as a sub in small sealed volumes.

"My calc showed a 1.6 cu ft box will require a fair amount of EQ."

True, that's what it was originally designed for. The designer of the REVEL15 driver runs two of them in their original Ultima Gem Sub boxes (1.5 cu. ft. sealed) which is also electronically EQ'd through the Revel amp. In his room response is flat to ~ 15 Hz. The designer recommends running a pair of them in rooms of ~ 3,000 cu. ft.

Bakers Mantra;
    Fifteen inch drivers are not "faster" than eighteens. "Faster" needs deleted from the audio lexicon. End of rant.

Obsolete
    I expected this (micro?) rant days ago Mike. Been too busy?

El-Giskardo;
    Yeah, busy spending money; ordered two more networks from JBL; since they have provision to bi amp whenever I want, they sorta supplant the need for the others entirely, other than should I wish to tri amp (not particularly likely);
    Then I've been promising to set up my nephew with some gear; I was going to have the surrounds refoamed on some Pioneer HPM 40's that the neighbor threw out, but decided to give him my little "wood drum" noRh speakers and a cheapo powered sub I had laying around. This necessitated buying him an AV receiver and a CD player.
    Now I'll be trying the 3115's with my HT receiver rig.
    Now that the powered subs went to a new home, I had to replace them. They were on my deck, under small grill covers, doing year 'round duty.
    Enter E-Tent sale, which I hadn't patronized in awhile. I bought two Control 18S-WH, which includes the optimount hardware. I'll go passive "subs" on the deck now; no 110v juice flowing and much more weather resistant. Probably won't have the grunt that the powered subs did, but I've got plenty of power for them, and, well, we'll see. The response graph indicates they are more like a modest woofer, but that's okay, that's what I need under the Control 1AW's, which sound decent outside. Figure that by buying all real weather-resistant gear, I'll have less to worry about. I use the outdoor system 4-5 days a week, year round. It is four speakers and two subs. Kinda fun.
    Then, the Pioneer HPM100's come out of the loft and two powered subs and el-cheapo sats go up for living room sound. Rat Shack had a diecast speaker with 5.5 inch Kevlar driver and Linaeum tweeter for $29 on closeout. Less visually obtrusive than two HPM100's looming over the railing.
    I SHOULD have two of those SUB1500's sent to you from PE and let you build some 4 footers for them. Save space in the HT.
    What kind of power do you project they'd need?

MBB

Obsolete
    "I SHOULD have two of those SUB1500's sent to you from PE and let you build some 4 footers for them. Save space in the HT."

Bring 'em on!

We can A/B them with the 2245H's

"What kind of power do you project they'd need?"

What are you using on the 2245H's?

Hmmm, well, right now I am using my noRh LeAmps; 100 watts with a power supply good for a 400 watt amp. I have the pro amps, but don't like the fan noise in the house.

pangea

Jbl Sub1500 15" Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    Yeah, I did those calculations myself. Too bad I bought all 400 of them. I guess we can negotiate a price on a couple.

Seriously, I think I will go the vented route. 4 cu ft with no EQ. But I suppose one can always play with an EQ and a sealed box later. My calc showed a 1.6 cu ft box will require a fair amount of EQ.

Race you to the phone in the morning. They're open at 9:00 AM ET.
    Hey, what about me...couldn't you leave one or two to me, huh?

That's typical for damned Yankees... That's what you get for letting someone in on your secrets.

BR
    Roland

Wouldn't have been a secret for long; the day you posted, my PE flyer came and had those on the front. I try not to miss something about JBL.................

Hey Roland,

Thanks for the tip. Those are certainly some amazing woofers. I wonder if the Revel Sub 30 is really that much better.

Unfortunately what makes for a fun loudspeaker project doesn't necessarily make for domestic bliss so I will have to sneak these in under the cover of darkness.

Widget

RIP 2009
    Well, I broke down and ordered a second Sub1500 today, just to be sure I don't end up with a one of a kind...

I've got a dual-15 baffle available for my current ~7 cu.ft. bass guitar enclosure. I can temporarily drop them into that - 'should be fun...it's where my 2245H is now. I made the cabinet with a removable baffle so I can plug different speakers in for comparison - unfortunately, it's usually "seat of the pants" comparison because of just the one enclosure, though I do have an RTA and other testing equipment here if I decide to get technical.

It'll probably be a while before I can actually build optimized enclosures for these, since I'm hopefully moving into a new home next month, and don't have anywhere to set up a table saw until then. If any of you San Francisco area guys have access to a cabinet shop, feel free to let me know.

Obsolete
    "Well, I broke down and ordered a second Sub1500 today, just to be sure I don't end up with a one of a kind..."

Well, better safe than sorry and it is a fantastic subwoofer driver.

Thread Information