Thread: Replacement for LSR 32s?

Replacement for LSR 32s?

Hi
    I have a home recording studio that has a bunch of oddball equipment that eats my mid-range drivers on my LSR 32s. This oddball equipment includes old modular synthesizers who can spit and bubble all kinds of cool stuff, but the LSRs don't like the modulars. Its a shame because the LSR 32s sound good.

I have had these in the shop maybe 2x/year. It is not the volume I am listening at, it is the transients. They are being powered by an Adcom GFA 555 power amp - 200 watts and good current capacity.

I am having problems finding replacement mid-ranges here. Plus, the cost of going in and out of the shop is killing me. I think it is time to either upgrade or retire these speakers.

I am looking for mid-field monitors - I have plenty of near fields. I would prefer passive rather than active since I already own the 200W/C amp.

Any suggestions? I have looked at numerous small PA speakers from JBL to do the job but there is a brightness about them...

Thanks

Maybe you could use the Bi-amp capability to raise the crossover frequency between the woofer and the midrange. I have no experience trying this myself, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.

I don't think you can bypass the internal crossover when biamping.
    I can imagine the little midrange driver is having a hard time going down to 250Hz !

What about the 6332s how are they different?

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    I don't think you can bypass the internal crossover when biamping.
    I can imagine the little midrange driver is having a hard time going down to 250Hz !
    All it takes is one piece of wire connected from the input terminal to the woofer to bypass the woofer's crossover.

I'll have to look for the specs to compare the lsr32 to the 6332,, but the crossover frequency is the same, and I think that the power handling is the same too.

Edit, I checked the tech sheets, the power handling rating is the same for the two.

Maybe the low crossover frequency was chosen to have a precise imaging when used in near-filed, with most of the frequency spectrum handled by the mid and high drivers. So that would make sense to raise this frequency when used as midfield monitors, with more SPL needs and less "point source" issues?

Thread Information