Thread: Looky what I got...4313B's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looky what I got...4313B's

Hello Folks!
    Picked these up recently on the bay, the seller listed them as needing to be re-coned. That kind of made me wonder, maybe they just needed to be refoamed (the guy did not deal in hifi per se, it was one of those ebay depot things). Cosmetically they looked like they were not given much respect but the drivers seemed ok aside from the dented tweet and the mid, also they only had one speaker grille. I heard so many good things about these speakers on the forum I figured I’d take a chance and bid on em anyway.
    Well I won the auction and waited patiently for them to arrive. Within a week I looked again at eBay’s offerings and by Jove! there they were again, being offered by the same seller, same pictures and all, only difference was that they now had two grilles to go along with the set??? I contacted the seller and he quickly emailed me telling me they had a second pair and not to worry. I was a little uneasy for a few days but then the speakers arrived. The cabs were pretty beaten up but again the drivers looked ok, I hooked them up and everything worked fine, nice and clean! Then I thought about the second pair and looked long and hard at them and decided to bid on em as well. Funny thing was no one bid on that second pair, I was the only one and I can’t help but think that everyone probably had the same initial thought I had about this guy trying to pull a fast on so no one even bothered to bid on them and I got them even cheaper than the first pair. As you can see from the pics they obviously need some serious TLC at least cosmetically.
    The second pair arrived and they were fine as well. So now I have two projects that I am looking forward to working on. I ordered new surrounds from R. Cobb. I have a couple of other speakers that I will be refoaming before I get to the 4313’s, plus that will give me a chance to improve my skills a bit before tackling these guys. A question that did arise in my mind is, how do you know when a driver needs to be re-coned? The spiders on the drivers look ok to me but what do I know! Like I said they sound clean but maybe there is more to it? I did consider having one pair re-coned to see if there is a big difference in sound, what do you guys think? The grilles need new material and I need to replace the single missing grille, they all need new foilcals, any suggestions
    on replacing the foilcals. The insulation on one of them you can see it looks kind of dirty and that’s what I thought at first glace then I noticed that it is actually overspray of the JBL Blue, is that something any one here would even bother replacing, when would you replace the padding in the cabs? One of the LF drivers is missing the rubber gasket/ring that goes between the driver and the cab, how crucial is that and can they still be obtained these days. One of the tweet and two mids have dents as you can see, they sound ok but will probably replace at some point soon.
    Now the main reason I got these aside from their reputation is that I am sucker for fixer uppers, I enjoy taking items that have been abused or mistreated and giving them back their dignity. I am definitely going to re-veneer these puppies, I have and idea of what wood species I am going to go with but I will probably try something un-orthodox with one set of them. I do plan on veneering the baffle on one set of them (Riessen inspired) due to the damage on the paint on that surface, the other pair will retain the JBL Blue just in case the JBL inspectors come a-knocking. This leads me to my next question, how do I remove the tags on the baffles, a hair dryer perhaps and how do you re-attach them? Also once the tag is off are there screws that hold the LF HF adjustment knobs in place, I will need to remove these in order to veneer that surface. This should be a lot of fun and will post work in progress pictures from time to time.
    If anyone has any parts that I may need for these Johnnies and would like to make available please let me know.
    All suggestions, comments and ballyhoo welcomed, Thank you all !
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Here are a couple of more pictures....
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Very nice! Shame about the NumbNuts that couldn't keep their fingertips up their own noses instead of into your tweeters, but you've got the basis for some nice projects there.

Good luck!

je

Thank you Mr. Sanford, I agree! Should be fun!

Nice score there --- you didnt mention what you paid. Sharing is caring.
    They are easy fixed up with the resources on hand in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Nice score there --- you didnt mention what you paid. Sharing is caring.
    They are easy fixed up with the resources on hand in this forum.
    Thanks Mac, not a big secret, got em both for about $350.

I was interested in this auction but I didn´t bid because shipping cost was too expensive for Spain. I knew this was a great deal.

Hi Krunchy,

Super nice score on these 4313's!! I actually had inquired about them since they were here in Orange County and about 40 minutes from my house. However, Adding another 4 JBL speakers to the fold just wasn't gonna happen per the wifey.

A couple of things. If you do the veneer, maybe consider a thin bolt-on sheet that could be reversibly attached to the baffle and held in with all the driver mounting screws/frames and the grille pins. That way, you could have a number of different looks without having to irreveribly get away from the JBL Blue. Don't know how easy that would be but it shouldn't add any appreciable volume so the cabinet tuning should be good.

The overspray inside IMO should be left alone. Pulling and replacing fiberglass is a bit of a headache and it doesn't really change anything acoustically. Besides, that is the way they were produced and JBL QC let 'em ride.

The woofers should be no problem to refoam. Check for the spiders to be level with the frame and not in or out at rest. If the spiders feel decently springy, they will likely be good. There was a recent post by edgewound on perhaps re-heat forming spiders if you thought they were really shot. Worth a try before going the recone route.

The mid center covers can be replaced but I would suggest replace in pairs so the pairs look symmetrical. The tweeters will be much more of a problem. Recone/redome kits are NLA from the factory IIRC and the come up very rarely on ebay. Otherwise expect to pay at least $120-150 / pair for good used tweeters.

The foilcals can be removed with a heat gun/hair dryer and a thin putty knife, just don't crinkle them. there have been a few recent folks who can produce duplicate/reproduction foilcals at about $25 per. Search for that topic or for ebayer sign-shop IIRC. Yes, the crossover mounting bolts are under the foilcals and once unbolted will take the pots with them. Zilch can provide the grille cloth, again, probably replace in pairs.

Regards,

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Thread Information