Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best JBL´s for my amp?

I´m agree that 4301b are killers but, I´m looking for more efficient speakers.

For many years ago I used a DB-Systems power amp witch had 2x40W (8ohm) with my Paragon, and this is a high efficient speaker. At that time I thought it sounded good, but after I started to use larger amps I found out what it could really do.

I have tried some low powered amps on my systems over the years with little success. No matter what speaker system, they need more to do their best.

I recommend a new power to your existing speakers, rather than looking for more efficient speakers.

majick47

Best JBLs for my amp

The first version, the 4301, would be more efficent than the 4301b, but would probably require more wattage than your present amp to reach their full potential. I'm hard pressed to think of any super efficent book shelf sized JBL speakers that would match that amp. You might want to read the extensive thread re powering Storms 250ti and consider what a number of senior LH members had to say re an appropriate amp/power for the 250ti and other JBL speakers.

The sound reinforcement offerings are as much as 10 dB more efficient than the monitors.

From the early Cabaret to current AE Series, there's likely something that will satisfy.

I'd go for mid/high boxes and supplement with subs on a separate amp, as none will provide particularly extended bass....

Quote Originally Posted by tweeter View Post
    I´m looking for speakers that make me feel alive.
    Can't go wrong with L100's they are VERY lively..

What size speakers are you wanting to use?? If you can go bigger, the L300 is a MUCH better choice..

On a budjet the L36's will do quite nicely... Good luck..

I´ve founded a pair of 4425 in near mint condition.
    What would be the appropiate price for those monitors?
    Are these speakers easy to drive and how is its sound?

The 4425 are good as a mid field monitor, not too efficient, but okay for that amp in a small room.. for their size they are quite good. What will you be using the speakers for?? Where will you be placing them?? What is the room size?? These factors will make more of a differences than the speakers themselves. There is no "holy grail" of speakers, just a speaker that works well for your application and budget..

Not sure of the prices in your area.. maybe someone oversaes can help ya better than I could..

First, this is just from my personal experience on how these sounded to my ears. If sharp, crisp, and 'cool' sound is what you like, the 4312A and 4425 are unbeatlable. For a more neutral and a bit warmer sound, I would recommend the 4313, the 'newer' 120Ti, or the Vecchio A622 or A822 (the last two I believe were only available outside of the US).
    Also, check out http://www.audio-heritage.jp/JBL/index.html where almost all the JBL speakers ever sold are cataloged.

Steve K

majick47

Best Speakers For My Amp

I'm sure it can be done with a lot of effort/luck but I think you are working in reverse order here. From my experience the speakers are first in line in creating a audio system that will fit/work in your enviroment/listening room. After you have selected the speakers that best fit your taste/room size/budget you attempt to choose an amp that will sufficently power the speakers. You might be lucky and already own an amp that matches the speakers but for many people that is rarely the case. Not to say that your amp isn't a good one but it will possibly be very limiting in your choice of JBL speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by majick47 View Post
    I'm sure it can be done with a lot of effort/luck but I think you are working in reverse order here. From my experience the speakers are first in line in creating a audio system that will fit/work in your enviroment/listening room. After you have selected the speakers that best fit your taste/room size/budget you attempt to choose an amp that will sufficently power the speakers. You might be lucky and already own an amp that matches the speakers but for many people that is rarely the case. Not to say that your amp isn't a good one but it will possibly be very limiting in your choice of JBL speakers.
    I second that

I agree, in fact my equipment was born starting with a wrong speakers.
    For those, I bought an amplifier that I don´t want to change.
    After restoration of 4301B´s, I realized that I love that sound, but I want more. For this reason, I´m searching for anothers JBL with more efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by tweeter View Post
    I agree, in fact my equipment was born starting with a wrong speakers.
    For those, I bought an amplifier that I don´t want to change.
    After restoration of 4301B´s, I realized that I love that sound, but I want more. For this reason, I´m searching for anothers JBL with more efficiency.

With that amp I would not go with anything other than the JBL CF series . I would highly recommend a higher wpc amp.

Thread Information