Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worth fixing old Sansui?

Worth fixing old Sansui?

A friend of mine just gave me a beast of a receiver. It is a Sansui 9090DB. He bought it new and said it has tons of power. He tells me there is no sound from the left channel but other than that it works fine. I did a quick check on he web and it appears to be pretty highly regarded. I am looking for something to run my garage speakers. Anyone have any experience with this receiver and/or know someone in NoCal that may be able to fix it? Really don't want to ship it as it weighs about 50 lbs.!

Thanks,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by oznob View Post
    A friend of mine just gave me a beast of a receiver. It is a Sansui 9090DB. Mark
    I have an 8080db....after about 20 minutes, one channel goes weak, but those ARE a sweet 20 minutes....I would say its worth fixing as long as you dont get too deep..they are only worth about $200 if working perfectly.

Most Sansui receivers were CR*P, the 8080 and 9090 were the exceptions..IMHO
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thanks for the info Wolf, I appreciate it. One thing I found interesting was the Dolby switch that I assume was for Dolby cassettes? Hopefully I can get it working without too much trouble.

hi Oznob,

The 9090DB is a really nice receiver with some pretty smooth power. The most common problem with signal or channel loss IS the Dolby switch and then the selector switch and tape monitor switches. All of them are prone to corroding or getting dirty with intermittent to full loss of signal. A really thorough cleaning and maintenance with DeOxit will usually get them going again if the channels do work.

Surf over to audiokarma.org and check the Sansui forum or Vintage solid state where there are plenty of posts on the 8080DB/9090DB and how to troubleshoot them. I'm pretty confident you can get them going.

If you need someone to fix it, try The SoundWell in Berkeley. I had some contact with one of their techs last year and they seemed decent enough. they've been around for decades. Other NorCal LH's will probably chime in or do some searching here or on AK for a recommendation.

BTW, the Dolby was for FM Dolby broadcasts IIRC. I'm not sure you can switch it in for tape purposes. Best to check with the Sansui guys at AK for that.

Regards,

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Thanks a bunch for the help Bart! A friend of mine does some "garage" repairs on tube stuff and has a bunch of Deoxit so he may have a project soon. Although, if I go to The Bay, I can check in on Zilchster and Johnaec. I need to do that just haven't had the time. I will also go to the pages you mentioned and inquire.

Thanks again and

Mark

sansui

I like the older Sansui's. I had a 7070Db which was high quality and had
    a beautiful glow when turned on. The sound was decent, but I have
    heard the extra watts really help the 9090. My current amp (reciever) is the Sansui G-901 a European version of the G-9000 series, and the sound
    is amazing with my vintage Jubals.

I would fix this reciever, if nothing else you will get at least $300 or more
    with a tuned 9090db on ebay!

Good luck

"Curious as a tree full of hoot owls"

My friend opened it up and couldn't find anything obviously out of place like burnt caps, bad solder joints etc. It turned on fine, all the lights were lit, swithches and dials set correctly but, no sound? I know a guy in Roseville, CA that repairs mostly old radios and tube amps. Oh, he's a big Quad fan but I don't hold that against him. He did fix my old Hafler PA amp so I may take it to him to fix, as long as it doesn't cost too much $$$. As my grandfather used to say, "I am just curious as a tree full of hoot owls" to hear how this receiver sounds! I will probably bite the bullet and get it fixed, eventually.

Yes they are worth fixing. Do it. The 9090db is considered by a lot of folks to be the best Sansui ever built. I just sank $$$ plus parts into mine for a restoration and there was'nt even anything wrong with it except the dial pointer lamp was out, the tuner string was almost melted in half by me with a soldering iron while trying to replace the pointer lamp , and it needed a cleaning.
    Go over to AK and browse the Sansui forum-"Exclusively Sansui".*edit*- There are some very highly respected Sansui Techs over there who may be able to help you out.
    -*edit*
    I edited this post, pending. I may add the info back later.

Mark you have a pm. In case you are interested in having the unit worked on by The God of Sansui's.

Rj

Mark, although I've never tried it, as I do not own a tape deck it appears that recording and playback is incorporated into the dolby switch as seen in this photo of my 9090db

I have to beg to differ on the statement that most Sansui receivers were Cr**p!

Any of the G series receivers are quite nice and the big ones are awesome receivers G-8000, 9000, 22000, 33000 are very hard to beat!

The DB models like 8080 & 9090 are also highly prized units and some of Sansuis best units.

We are all entitled to our own opinions but blanket statements like this simply don't have wings unless you add that it is your own opinion.

I have owned many receivers in my 40+ years of audio bliss and from many manufacturers, Pioneer, Sony, Marantz, to name a few. It will take a mighty fine receiver to knock my G 9000 off the top shelf here.

Get that one repaired and enjoy some very good quality sound. If it is in great condition otherwise, I would bet you will move it in to your home rather then to keep it in the garage!

Gary

My brother had a 9090 and a set of Infinity 4-ways with the EMIT tweeters. His 9090 didn't much like these speakers that presented an unstable load and burned out both the speaker mids and and the power transistors on the amp.

My friend Gary, the original owner, said he "fried" his share of spekaers with this beast, most notably some old Infinity's and late 70's vintage Pioneers. He didn't remember the model numbers. Gary's an old Navy man and liked to throw parties back in the day. In fact he bought this in 1977 at a PX in The Phillipines along with the obligatory Akai Reel to Reel and those lattice grill Sansui speakers. He ended up giving away the speakers and Akai years ago.

I have a bunch of projects going on right now so the Sansui may be on the back burner for a few weeks.

I have a g7700 that seems fine except some dirty contacts and the little electronic tuning part just goes nuts but the unit does tune things in normally. It is my test to make sure all is normal w/other equipment/only analog (no electronic anything) amp/receiver. 115 or 130 a channel, seems that their watts are bigger than Sony's

any insight on that tuner/signal strength do-hicky?

Mark

from my experience, if you get the Sansui working right, it will have been worth the effort
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

JBL 4645
    I like the look of that and a built in Dolby noise reduction system. Can you get the Dolby system to patch in with one of the two front channels or other as some DVD titles do have a little hash or hiss on some films transferred to DVD!

Thread Information