Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worth fixing old Sansui?

I want to thank Rj for putting me in touch with Jim Masingill. For troubleshooting and basic repair it is going to cost about $150, $300 for a full blown re-build. That's not including the shipping cost to Orange County and back. Fixing it will have to wait for some other projects to be finished. I do intend to get it working sometime in the not too distant future.

Mark

No problem Mark. Glad to be of some help. Jim is supposed to be the best of the best.
    I just drove down to Ohio yesterday and got my 9090db back from my east coast tech who gave it a thorough going over to include- new tuner string, replace all lamps, replace meter lamps with super brite LEDS, added a rectifier and a cap for the supply to the LEDS, cleaned all controls, burnished speaker relay contacts, modified the relay circuit so it does'nt short the speakers to ground when the relay is turned off, resoldered all the feedthrus on the dolby board, align the tuner, adjust the poweramp offset and idle current adjust the dolby gains adjust the meter calibration, bench tested 24 hrs.
    Now I am going to reveneer the case and she'll be done. Yeah, I like this receiver. She's a keeper.
    Last edited by bigstereo; 09-04-2007 at 04:12 AM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by bigstereo View Post
    Now I am going to reveneer the case and she'll be done. .
    Got to admit, the original "veneer" was the cheesiest wood print plastic film veneer that I've ever seen on a great receiver.

The assembly folks were out of synch, I guess.....
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Got to admit, the original "veneer" was the cheesiest wood print plastic film veneer that I've ever seen on a great receiver.

I'm thinking more along the lines they put the money inside which is why they are still worth repairing and keeping. It is some cheesy vinyl junk and I can't help but wonder just how much more it would have cost to do these cabinets in real wood veneer.

I have redone a few of my G 8000 and G 9000 units and they sure do look great with nice wood dresses but what caused me to even want to spend the time and effort was the great sound quality and the pretty face.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

Actually Seawolf you are thinking of the Sansui G series receivers that have the vinyl. Other than the covering on the G series they are beautiful pieces. I'd love to add a pristine G9000 to my collection someday.
    My 9090db and the rest of the XOXO series has real wood veneer, although it's not the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstereo View Post
    Actually Seawolf you are thinking of the Sansui G series receivers that have the vinyl. Other than the covering on the G series they are beautiful pieces. I'd love to add a pristine G9000 to my collection someday.
    My 9090db and the rest of the XOXO series has real wood veneer, although it's not the greatest.
    I've never seen a "G" series, I do have an 8080db tho.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=12785

When I got it, the film ( not even printed vinyl) that is wood printed , that goes over a "kinda beige" substrate was peeling off. It was just a cheesy film, like Pioneer did in the 80's.

I peeled it all off, since it looked so bad, had planned to add real veneer over the substrate before the weak channel thing started.
    Now I have so many other choices among my inventory that the Sansui project is just one of many in the que.

( I dont listen to FM anymore , just XM....so I wud be using the Sansui for switching and power,,,,,,but I got a great APT/Holman preamp last month and a huge BGW 750D amp that is providing 450wpc into my 4 ohm system - ONLY 375wpc into 8 ohm) so really the need for the restored Sansui is low....anybody in the market for 1 ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

One of the previous owners must have re-covered yours with that stuff at one point. AFAIK the XOXO's all had wood veneer over plywood.
    The G series were the last of the monster receivers built by Sansui just prior to the end of the receiver wars of the late 70's that went on between Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui, and even Kenwood tried to throw their hat in the ring. The G series were the most powerful of all Sansui's.

Yeah

Yeah, from my own experience- fix it ! It's a nice receiver !

I now have 3 vintage era receivers, and all of them are 125wpc beasts.
    I've got a Marantz 2325, a Sansui 9090DB, and a Kenwood KR-8010, and in my opinion, that's the order I'd rank them in quality and sound, with the Sansui only a half a notch lower than the Marantz. You can easily see the quality construction of the Kenwood is down from the other two.
    Dave Lyons - Zanesville, Oh = L300, L36, L40,
    L100a & L100a Century, J2050, S36AWII

I do plan on getting it fixed I just can't see putting it in my garage, that and I have other projects going. There may be a pair of 4412's in my future also? I have a nice main system that I really do not want to replace, plus it has remote control. Not a big deal to some but I'm getting lazy as I get older. I guess it's only money!

Thread Information