Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL L26

JBL L26

I got a chance to pick up a set of L26's for $40.00. Parts worth anything? I haven't looked at them yet but will go and see them Thursday.Guy said they were in his garage for the last 10 years. I figured they are going to need refoaming at least.What you guys think.

I like my L26's better than my L36's.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

i remember them well,my first jb's.new in about 76 with an hk 560,in line tracking hk tt,hk casette deck all for about a grand.

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I like my L26's better than my L36's.
    WOW!, Really? Are they similiar to the L19/4301B? What do you like about them MORE than the L36's?

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    I got a chance to pick up a set of L26's for $40.00. Parts worth anything? I haven't looked at them yet but will go and see them Thursday.Guy said they were in his garage for the last 10 years. I figured they are going to need refoaming at least.What you guys think.
    Go get 'em. I'll take them off your hands if you don't want them. If anything to verify Seawolf's claim..

clmrt
    I agree with Seawolf. I had 26's and then got 36's, and sold the 36's off even though it cost a mint to refurb them. (I found empty and trashed 36 cabs in a garbage pile - bought the complete driver set and grilles piece by piece)

The midrange driver fouls up an otherwise just-fine-thank-you two way speaker.

And yes, I know you can dial the pots back to suit, but it didn't matter. The 26 imaged better as well.

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt View Post
    The midrange driver fouls up an otherwise just-fine-thank-you two way speaker.
    And yes, I know you can dial the pots back to suit, but it didn't matter. The 26 imaged better as well.
    cudn't have said it better.

I was searching for replacement parts for these just in case and came across these woofers on ebay.Not to start a fire storm here but this model woofer looks "rinky dink to say the least". What makes these speakers sound so good then?

The last woofer that had that look was in my L56 and I must say is the only jbl from those days that I did not like the sound.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-JBL-125A...QQcmdZViewItem

Not to start a fire storm here but this model woofer looks "rinky dink to say the least".
    wire em up. lay speakers on their backs , firing straight up. play at low volume. you will get at least a sampling of their sound , with no extra $ invested, and shud not hurt woofers.

clmrt
    I was searching for replacement parts for these just in case and came across these woofers on ebay.Not to start a fire storm here but this model woofer looks "rinky dink to say the least". What makes these speakers sound so good then?

The last woofer that had that look was in my L56 and I must say is the only jbl from those days that I did not like the sound.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-JBL-125A...QQcmdZViewItem

I know what you mean. But they work.

I'll never say these are stellar, but they do work well, though.

Decade series woofers were an "economical" approach near the end of alnico production.

They depart from traditional JBLs in other significant ways, as well, as may be seen in their T/S parameters.

They have excellent extended bass response, and I have been working with them in closed-box alignments.

These are not high-power drivers, but the sound is quite good....

I forgot, everything doesn't have to be full blast. I just love that JBL punch. With that in mind I will take your word for it Zilch.I will check these out on Thursday. Thanks!

Well, I wouldn't call them particularly "punchy," but you listen and decide for yourself, KJ.

Looks like there's other forum members who'll be interested if you don't like them....

Nightbrace
    Get 'em kj, maybe one day I can bring my L36's up for a A/B comparison .

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Well, I wouldn't call them particularly "punchy," but you listen and decide for yourself, KJ.

Looks like there's other forum members who'll be interested if you don't like them....
    , if the bass is anything like my L36's, they dig pretty deep for such small speakers and are very realistic sounding, just the lack of upper bass is a bit of a concern, but with a little EQ I'm sure they would work pretty well.

Thread Information