Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paragon & C35's in a Theater Room?

Question Paragon & C35's in a Theater Room?

I’m building a theater/media room in my basement, 16’x 23’x 9’, and would like your guys’ opinions on using some old JBL speakers for the room vs. new speakers…

I have a Paragon. Although it sounds excellent for music, I don’t think that it would lend itself great to the theater room’s front L&R channels because of the nature of the Paragon’s design (I don’t think that it would have distinct enough lefts & rights for movies, etc.). So, I was considering using the Paragon as a center channel speaker. However, I was wondering the best way to wire it in; obviously it has L & R inputs, but I would only be using it as one speaker.

I also have a pair of three-way JBL C-35’s, which have complementary components to the Paragon that I think would be good for the FL & FR speakers since you can separate them and point them toward the audience.

So, my question is, do you think that those three speakers would sound good in a theater room? If so, what should I use for the rest of the speakers (rear surrounds, sub-woofer, etc.) so that they sound okay as a whole package?

Or, am I wasting some excellent JBL speakers on a theater room when they could be better utilized somewhere else in the house to solely listen to music? In which case, I would need to buy a whole matching set of new speakers for the theater room.

Quote Originally Posted by arwun View Post
    Or, am I wasting some excellent JBL speakers on a theater room when they could be better utilized somewhere else in the house to solely listen to music?
    Yes.
    But not just wasting. The vintage stuff offers a...vintage listening experience. For watching TV (well, that's really what it is) you're probably better off with a multi-channel setup with some subs. And, of course, give the old stuff to me!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    For watching TV you're probably better off with a multi-channel setup with some subs.
    Another option would be to use the C35's as my LF & LR, and leave the Paragon in another part of the house for music. Then I would need to find something else to use as my center-channel speaker that would sound right along wiht the C35's. Is there such a speaker available in the new marketplace?

If the paragon fits I don't see why not. As for waste you have to judge that. You could be storing it. If you just hook the two sides up parallel I'm sure it isn't a four ohm set up so it would be at least four ohms when hooked up parallel but I'm sure I hear keystrokes in the background telling me how ignorant I am of paragons, unless he's on vacation. Regardless, just parallel the two sides.

I have considered it.

The primary difficulty is combing from the two 075s.

Needs a single horn smack in the middle, it seems....

Was I correct about the Paragon not being ideal as my FL & FR channels/speakers for a theater room setup because the separation isn't distinct enough?

If I can do that, then the wife may be more happy. I don't think that she's crazy about having the C35's in the theater room because of their size. I know that the Paragon is even larger, but it is a piece of art.

Another reason why I'd like to somehow use the Paragon in the theater room is because I want to keep it out of the main traffic areas in the basement. For some reason guests tend to see the large flat surface and decide that it's a nice place to throw their car keys or set their drink down, at which point I become unglued. Also, it would free up some room in the rest of the basement for a pool table, etc.

Maron Horonzakz
    The Paragon makes a excellent left,,Right,,and a good center blend all by itself...You,ve been listening to it that way and should know its blending properties...no matter where you sit...The dynamic range and explosive wave fronts are hard to match in that position. Plus the dialog has good definition. I use it that way with the other speakers placed left & right rear...The over all ambient field is well spread overall...I,ve found Too many speakers smear the surround field. Why complicate things.

Maron Horonzakz
    As far as guests placing drinks on the speakers...I have a small sign on my wall "slobs will be punished" Thats what the coffee table in front of chair is for that seperates the chairs from the Paragon.

Why don't you just hook it up and see what you think instead of pondering over it?

Maron Horonzakz
    Your not going to stress the amp or speakers. Hook it up and see what you find.

Maron Horonzakz
    Dont worry about seperation,,,Not too much lost there,, but about cohesion.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    Why don't you just hook it up and see what you think instead of pondering over it?
    That's a good point... only you can decide if this will work for you.

Not too long ago I was visiting a fellow with his Paragon being used in this way... He had a 60" plasma over his Paragon and had his processor set to phantom center... it worked fine for the Evening News and your basic TV fair... I wasn't terribly impressed with it for a movie experience though. Subs would have helped, but the speaker just drew too much attention to itself. I've heard far less exotic systems that worked much better for home theater duty.

Using three C35s up front with a proper sub would probably work pretty well... you should be able to track down a matching third C35 to be used as your center or have one built.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That's a good point... only you can decide if this will work for you.

Using three C35s up front with a proper sub would probably work pretty well... you should be able to track down a matching third C35 to be used as your center or have one built.
    Is there anything in the current (new) marketplace that would work as a center along w/ the C35's (maybe smaller, so I can hide it in the wall)? Does it really need to match the other front speakers; how important is that?

Well I see the paragon "expert" showed up so you should be in good hands. I've never understood too much about this center channel stuff, as with proper imaging a stereo pair can put a soloist front and center so that you'd believe there was a center channel. Now, I can't say for sure, but probably nobody here can accurately judge how your wife is going to react. You are supposed to be the expert there, and I for one wish you good luck, as that can be difficult. I didn't really catch when he said cohesion if perhaps he was referring to the same thing and I know that more than the amp can easily become stressed.

Quote Originally Posted by arwun View Post
    Is there anything in the current (new) marketplace that would work as a center along w/ the C35's (maybe smaller, so I can hide it in the wall)? Does it really need to match the other front speakers; how important is that?
    For the best performance you need the front three speakers to be identical in a HT application. For the best performances to be enjoyed by more than one person, a center channel is necessary.

You need to decide the level of compromise. Perhaps three contemporary small bookshelf speakers will give you a more acceptable appearance as well as better performance than your C35s... especially if you end up with a mismatched set of speakers.

As far as in-wall speakers... that is the surest way to mediocre sound.

Widget

Thread Information