Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Project- Olympus C50

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo72 View Post
    1) What is the difference between a waveguide and a horn in relation to this cab?
    A horn is a subclass of waveguide. "Waveguide" usually refers to shorter devices with rapid flares functioning primarly to control high frequency dispersion characteristics as opposed to coaxing low frequency response from a compression driver. In relation to this cabinet, it doesn't matter, unless you particularly want the crossover frequncy below 1 kHz. My 2370A horns in the pic are crossed at 800 Hz.

2) When tuning this box what is the best way to do it? (never done it before).
    As I stated above, you'll cut holes for tuning ducts as shown in my pic, and vary the length of those ducts to tune the cabinet. Modeling software will calculate an initial length, once the internal volume of the cabinet is known and the woofer chosen. After that, it's listening and measuring using a signal generator or test-tone disk. More precision can be achieved via additionally using a multimeter and a resistor to perform electrical measurements.

3) How much baffle cutting will be needed to go with the waveguide or a horn?
    Using the vintage exponential horns, your baffles are already cut to fit. For the waveguides I'm suggesting, the round horn hole above the woofer becomes a 10.5" x 5" rectangular cutout. To squeeze a 2370A horn in that space, you need to notch the flange a bit, as shown....

Amazing. Thanks again Zilch. If you have a book out there somewhere that you have written I would buy it in a second!
    DAVID
    DETROIT ROCK CITY

Thread Information