Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any improvements that can be done to a B460 sub?

I think the best improvement is a new fresh recone and trying set them up as best you can in respect to placement.

Also dont skip on the power amp. Buy the biggest you can offord! I have seen power amps literally go into meltdown driving the B460. If you think the bass sounds crook it is the power amp..tust me.

Proper crossover transition to the main speaker will also require careful adjustment.

Most people overplay their subs at the beginning and they blame the sub for sounding odd.

In other words, the biggest improvement comes from the owner/user.

That was my next question for the board, I have 2 Crown com tech 810 series amps I am going to use for the subs, the specs are

Output Power in Bridge-Mono Mode:
    Maximum Average Power at 1 kHz with No More than 0.1% THD:
    Com-Tech 810: 975 watts into 8 ohms.

I was hoping these amps would be more than enough, but for home theater use etc. could the requirments of the B460's need even more than the 975 watts each monoed Crown will be putting out? or will I be real safe at least as far as amp headroom is concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    nah, you aren't wrong - except - he doesn't attack just you, its anyone that disagrees with him, and I think sometimes he attack just 'cause he's bored.

That world weary ennui he's got makes us all suffer for it!
    Thanks. I should have known I wasn't special. "Ennui"? I thought my vocabulary was suffering but my unabridged appears to have been abridged.

Quote Originally Posted by wsilva View Post
    That was my next question for the board, I have 2 Crown com tech 810 series amps...

I was hoping these amps would be more than enough, but for home theater use etc. could the requirments of the B460's need even more than the 975 watts each monoed Crown will be putting out? or will I be real safe at least as far as amp headroom is concerned?[/LEFT]
    For transients you do need gobs of power however if you have a very large room or play back at very high levels some care will need to be taken.

The 2242 was developed because the 2245 when used as a sub in THX theaters were too easily blown up when driven hard. They sound great, one of the very best sounding subs I have heard, but they do not have the extreme safety margin built in that subs like the 2242 have. Especially when run without a subsonic filter in line... the extremely low frequencies that are in today's soundtracks can really heat up a voicecoil and cause even an 18" woofer to run out of xmax.

For a typical home theater one or two 2245s in custom cabs or B460s should really do the trick as long as your amp(s) have headroom and lots of current capacity... big ass boat anchors, amps with massive supplies are typically the best sort of amps for woofers like these.

As for your Com Techs... you might try running them in standard stereo using one amp per woofer and leaving the second channel of each amp disconnected. This will limit your power but it will improve each amp's ability to control the woofer by improving the damping factor and increasing the current capacity of each amp. Usually the loss of 3dB of headroom is a small price to pay for tighter better defined bass.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    Some times improvements have the opposit effect... But restoration such as in the xover will be audible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

big ass boat anchors,

Widget
    Checked this out on google with interesting results

Thread Information