Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any improvements that can be done to a B460 sub?

Any improvements that can be done to a B460 sub?

I have a pair of B460 subs that I have been holding onto for my listening room that I someday hope to setup. One of the cabinets needs a little repair work and that got me to wondering, are there any improvements anyone has ever done to a B460? (added more internal bracing, used a different driver than the 2245 etc.) I know the B460's are loved for there neat looks and great performance, but I have the time so if there are any improvements to be done I would like to hear any ideas.

I don't think one could "improve" one of the best woofers ever made for deep bass, or a cabinet built by JBL. If you want to improve the BX63 crossovers that go with them, PM me, I have done several, and it's night and day, without changing basic function or spec.

I don't know an improvement, but just because your using it differently than they designed it if for no other reason I'd be hesitant to say it couldn't be improved for your use. I'm a little wary of the "In 6 days JBL created sound and on the 7th day they rested" crowd.

Mirror-image the pair.

[Some disassembly required.... ]

Oh man dont I wish I could.... I know I should be happy that I was lucky enough to get my 2 B460's, but when I did have them set up on each side of my old listening room I did hate seeing the ports on one and not on the other one.

Maron Horonzakz
    Some people after the seventh day should rest there brains...That is one of the best subs ever designed.....Checking the xover for bad caps is all that may be needed

Maron , no offense but if I said 2+2 is 4 you would do research trying to prove me wrong. I'm not important enough to be concerned with and besides I didn't give any advice. I had forgotten that was your group.

Maron Horonzakz
    What makes you think that comment was pointed at you? Your so thin skinned..But your comment was disengenerous....That putdown of JBL shows your ignorents about that sub.

I'm trying to think of a piece of equipment you've mentioned in the same paragraph with a reference to myself without calling me ignorant and none come to mind. As far as thin skinned I'm not mad, upset, or offended but I felt like bringing attn. to my observation. Your probably a perfectly decent person. You do tend to think your experiences are how things are. I mentioned a Paragon someone had added PR's to and you said they didn't come that way and I was "the most" ignorant. No they didn't make them that way or he wouldn't have had to add them on. I don't care to pick you apart you just seem to have a compulsion to attack whatever I say. If you do it enough you will be right sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    That putdown of JBL shows your ignorents about...

you too funny....

I think the 2245 is a fantastic sub and the B460 is competently designed and built, but reading Greg Timbers' own words about the sub you discover that there are some technical compromises demanded by the marketplace.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1983-subs.htm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I for one, find the cabinet design pretty well dated and oh so 80's looking, but I guess if it fits into your decor....

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Some people after the seventh day should rest there brains...That is one of the best subs ever designed.....Checking the xover for bad caps is all that may be needed
    My feelings exactly. I have three of them....in three different systems.

There are several older JBL designs that could use improvememnt with modern technology....this isn't one of them, IMHO.

Maron Horonzakz
    Thom...You need to calm down and cry in your own toilet....My comments about the Paragon are true.. My comments about the sub are good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I'm trying to think of a piece of equipment you've mentioned in the same paragraph with a reference to myself without calling me ignorant and none come to mind. As far as thin skinned I'm not mad, upset, or offended but I felt like bringing attn. to my observation. Your probably a perfectly decent person. You do tend to think your experiences are how things are. I mentioned a Paragon someone had added PR's to and you said they didn't come that way and I was "the most" ignorant. No they didn't make them that way or he wouldn't have had to add them on. I don't care to pick you apart you just seam to have a compulsion to attack whatever I say.
    nah, you aren't wrong - except - he doesn't attack just you, its anyone that disagrees with him, and I think sometimes he attack just 'cause he's bored.

That world weary ennui he's got makes us all suffer for it!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Maron Horonzakz
    Hijames.....I never attack you, I wuv you !!! Your the apple of my eye..I would give up my Paragon for you.

Time for this thread to die.

Not to much much technical help going on here, my B460's are perfect and above improvement so please no more of this.

Thread Information