Thread: Amp Recommendations / Comments

tmckien

Amp Recommendations / Comments

A number of you are using pro amps such as QSC and Crown, as well as the traditional audiophile McIntosh, BK, etc. There is a huge difference in price... $600 or so for a nice QSC vs $2k or more for some of the "high end" amps. Do the QSC and Crown have the same deep bass and sound as clean as the Adcom, BK, etc? If so, why the huge price difference? I am looking for something around 300 watts/channel into 8 ohms for my L150s and have been looking at old Yamaha M80-M85 amps and an Adcom 5802. Those are selling for as much or more than a new QSC. Can anyone enlighten me?
    Thanks, Terry M

Hey, Terry...

Good to see you back, here. Been a while...

Widget came by my place a few weeks back for a sampling of the 4345's driven by QSC's (CX-502 on the 2245H's, CX-302 on the rest), and he was, I believe, quite impressed. I racked these from my road gear, where the QSC's always delivered impressive clarity and bass response with little (or no... ) power draw. Great transients and fullness, to the ends of the spectrum. Incredible. I can't imagine an improvement.

I posted a recent RTA of the EQ on Ian's 4345 thread.

Bass response, as you know, is highly room dependent, and my floor is "live", hardwood, and luckily participates nicely without any boominess.

The DCA-1622 would fit your needs, and be a most pleasureable experience. XLR, TRS and terminal block inputs; Neutrik and barrier strip outs. Nice switchable 30Hz/50Hz hi-pass filter on-board, too. Clever... QSC DCA-series - Link Makes me wish I was there right now!

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hello Tmckien

I am using Crown PS-200's and DC-150 Series 2's. I like them and they are very reasonable to buy used. Far as I can tell there is nothing lacking but I have never compared them to one of the other amps you mention so I can't comment on any differences there may be. I like these designs because they can be strapped at the flip of a switch and the PS-200'S have a balanced input option that really made a big difference in system noise. They are also all cooled by convection so no noisey fans! That is one thing I would be very wary of. Both amps when strapped will give 300+ watts.

Rob

was quite happy with an old Perreaux 2150B
    and my L150As... although the power switch
    wasn't up to the task and I replaced it with an
    ugly/bulletproof one. Sold it (unwisely) and
    eventually found another Perreaux 3150, which
    I enjoyed a bit less (sold it too). Currently
    underpowered (70w/ch PS Audio). Even at
    lower levels I miss the older Perreaux. Looking
    at a used Bryston.

I have a lesser Crown (PT-3.1) amp that I tried
    for grins, but the fans get too loud. Bass end
    was solid.

Could always get a new QSC (for example) from
    a vendor with a good attitude and return policy...
    some will let you borrow a demo unit if you're up
    front about what you're doing.

-grumpy

Unless you have a second room (closet etc. like Bo has) to put your amps in I would stay away from fan cooled amps. Unfortunately one of the ways the pro amps keep cost down is by using fans instead of acres of costly and space demanding heat sinks.

If you have a line on a reasonably priced Adcom 5802 I would go that route. I have not heard that particular amp, but I have the matching preamp and CD player from that series and they are both exceptionally good.

Widget

Talking Crown K2

I have used a Crown K2 for about 2 years with my L250's.
    I bought it new so I had to break it in but I think it sounds Great.
    I had a Krell KAV250a before that and I thought it was a poor amp for retail of about $3000.00. The K2 does not have fans so it is good in your rack.

My opinion for what it is worth!
    Shane

Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    Unfortunately one of the ways the pro amps keep cost down is by using fans instead of acres of costly and space demanding heat sinks.
    FWIW, the QSC's generate materially less heat than do comparable Class A amps. The heat specs (and comparable low ampere demand) are found in that Link I posted. I put the damned rack in the pantry to get it outa sight - the wifey is much happier! The fans were never that much of a nuisance to me (ol' tin ear...) - certainly never as loud as the ground loops I've struggled with between the preamp (unbalanced) and EQ (balanced). Now, completely solved...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Back when I had the money to chase the latest audio fetish (sighhhhh) I had a range of high end audiophile amps, and really wound up with my current bi amped Crown DC300As by accident, but I think they're just terrific, even if they were considerably more than they were I'd still recommend them heartily. Matter of fact, based on my experience I bought a Behringer crossover that wasn't "audiophile" but more intended for sound reinforcement and I've been delighted with it as well... YMMV

Paul

Originally posted by PaulB
    ...I bought a Behringer crossover that wasn't "audiophile" but more intended for sound reinforcement and I've been delighted with it as well...
    Behringer's business plan is to copy well, and offer at competitive (i.e., less) cost, and be armed with good lawyers for defense. Behringer do really pretty well, particularly on the rack effects, etc. My only gripe is with their small (home studio) boards - the faders are short throw, and their mic preamps aren't quite those offered by others. But they offer quality gear at good price points.

Now, is "YMMV"...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Your Mileage May Vary
    Just out of curiousity, who did they copy? I was really impressed with their technology for the price and I'd hate to think I abetted "reverse engineering"

Thread Information