Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You Are Invited to Our Garden Railroad Open House

You Are Invited to Our Garden Railroad Open House

As an August treat, Linda and I would like to invite all LHF members and their guests to night and day runs of the Tortoise and Lizard Bash Garden Railroad.
    Open houses will be held on Saturday, August 25 between 4:00 pm and 8:00 pm, and on Sunday August 26 between 12:00 pm and 4:00 pm.

We are located in the hills of unincorporated Orange County, CA above Tustin/Santa Ana/Orange. E-mail me for directions.

Tortoise and Lizard Bash Rail Road
    This garden scale, front yard layout is quite innovative and incorporates features not seen on other garden railroad displays. The landscape covers about 1,200 square feet with over 600 feet of track and six bridges, including a 14-foot long trestle. Twenty-one turnouts allow multiple trains to navigate the landscapes simultaneously.

The layout was built in a volcanic area that was thought to be inactive. However, recent eruptions have been noted at two of the craters in one area. These craters spew “lava” into upper, then lower lakes through two waterfalls. All vegetation in the miniature garden is real and to scale. The entire layout is detailed with structures, over 300 people and animals, cars, motorcycles, etc. all at a scale of ½” per foot.
    Trains can run fully automated, or “hands on” with as many as four simultaneous engineers, all in contact by wireless control. The automation system is of our own concept, design, and construction and allows seven trains to run simultaneously, pausing and waiting for each other as necessary. Fully automated signals accompany these train movements. And best of all, no more unexpected “corn field meets” at the crossing point!

The major urban area is Tortoise Town and all structures are named for their reptilian counterparts. When sheriff “Chuck Walla” isn’t getting a soda at Dragon Lizard Drugs, he may be getting a haircut at Cooter’s Clip Joint or calling on Ms. Lizzie at Collard Lizard Clothiers. “The Lounge Lizards” jazz band is featured entertainment in the town circle. Brody's B&B (Booze and Babes) includes a “red light” district and is next to the Bear Whiz Beer Brewery and the hot air balloon launch facilities. Two farm/ranches operate in the area as well as a feed and grain facility for the chickens, cows, sheep, and horses. An active gold mine is continually conducting blasting - day and night. The locals may take a train to Lizard Lake to engage in some fishing, or to Chameleon Caverns Mineral Springs to take in the hot tubs and ever-changing, multi-colored mist that waifs out of the cavern. All buildings and major structures (three dozen) have lighting for night operations. Additionally, the volcanoes and caverns put on their best displays after dark.

The OC Home Magazine has a write-up at the link.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1548744.php

Nice pictures!!! Reminded me of my father's HO trains in my youth. A wonderful offer!! Wrong coast

I hope everyone takes advantage and has a great time

Mark

Thanks for the invite. If I was on the West Coast I would be comming. Great layout!

Rob

Some of my kids and my grandson will be in town then. He's 10. Could I bring him?

that is so cool looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Some of my kids and my grandson will be in town then. He's 10. Could I bring him?

Thanks guys. Of course, everyone is welcome. We only ask that children are behaved and can keep their hands to themselves.

I so wish I was in CA -- I would LOVE to stop by.

My boyfriend and I are thinking of taking a trip to Disneyland soon. May we possibly stop by for a visit?

Thanks.

-Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I so wish I was in CA -- I would LOVE to stop by.

My boyfriend and I are thinking of taking a trip to Disneyland soon. May we possibly stop by for a visit?

Thanks.

-Storm

Of course you can. The buildings remain out until October. We are also doing open house on Aug 11 if that works for you. BTW, we are about 15 miles SE of Dizzyland.

Todd

Just a reminder (and a bump).

Thank you for inviting us to see your outdoor trains. It is a fantastic layout & everyone enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Thank you for inviting us to see your outdoor trains. It is a fantastic layout & everyone enjoyed it!
    Thanks for coming, we're glad you enjoyed it.

We had over 100 people on Saturday and another 125-150 on Sunday. We also had some rain on Sunday (the one day of the year it rains ) but the trains run in the rain with no problem (except some wheel slip on the grades). On Sunday, ther were about 35 Corvettes lining the street from two clubs. So the show was both in and out of the yard.

Night Falls on the T&LBRR

For those who were not able to attend our open house the other day, included at the link are pics of the layout as evening falls.

Enjoy

http://mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48260

Todd,

That layout is amazing....AMAZING!!!

I'd love to be able to see it in person sometime when schedules don't conflict.

Your setup looks like it rivals the LA County Fair outdoor train.

Very cool.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Todd,

That layout is amazing....AMAZING!!!

I'd love to be able to see it in person sometime when schedules don't conflict.

Your setup looks like it rivals the LA County Fair outdoor train.

Very cool.
    Not for size (LA County is 30,000 sq ft and ours is 1,200 sq ft), but certainly for quality.

And for electronic innovation..., fergetaboutit, we've got them beat in spades.

OT: T&LB Garden Railroad Launches a New Web Site!

Linda has been very busy learning web design and has now set up a preliminary web site for our Tortoise & Lizard Bash Garden Railroad. For those who are interested, the temporary site (until a permanent one can be established under our own account) can be found at the link.

http://michelleswebkids.com.p12.hostingprod.com/linda.html

Thread Information