Page 8 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

finished up the L56's....really like the little guys, like an L26 with slightly better bass and hf. the foam looks OK as long as you dont remember the original black stuff...also picked up some Advent P3arls. nice little wall hangers. Someone in the thrift found them b4 me and wired them to a boombox, but apparently gave up when sound only from 1 speaker, at least thats how I found them. I just swapped signal leads and the hot speaker moved, so I knew they both were OK.

The Advents can be wired as "mains" or "surrounds" (2 sets of 2 wiring posts, labeled as such)...would that mean a low filter is available ?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I picked up a pair of Tannoy Mallorcan for $30 at a yard sale today, pics and comments later. HF is intermittant on one, I think it is a bad contact in the plug to the driver, The good one sound very nice, Cabs a bit scuffy, but the drivers are choice, a monitor gold 12".
    I think this one is a serious score, I feel bad about talking them down from 35 to $30.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

That one is not mine//no affiliation etc
    Harry
    Last edited by hmolwitz; 06-14-2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Photos

Heil AMT-1

I have a friend who last night told me he has a pair of Heil AMT-1s stashed away he's intended to re-foam but he's unsure how the cabinets come apart. I've not seen them but my Googling tells me they came in a rectangular version as well as a triangular version. Don't know which these are but I'll ask. The question he asked was how they come apart to gain access to the woofers. Do the tops just pull off, or is there some hidden fastener to watch out for? If anyone has experience with these, I'd appreciate some tips to begin the process. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hmolwitz View Post
    I picked up a pair of Tannoy Mallorcan for $30 at a yard sale today, pics and comments later.
    Harry
    not familiar with that model, but it sounds like a fun project....you are in "the right spirit" ...look foreward to your pix.

this week I picked up and finished already a pair of AR38b's - 3 way, 8 incher- for $5 and a pair of Mission 760i's for $8.50 ,,all sounding nice. It's sometimes amazing whats out there, on the cheap !!! (its turned into a kind of game , anymore)

nice little set of L40's and ugly Warfdale Valdus 500's...total cost = less than 3 gallons of gas.

The L40's came out really nice ... very dynamic, good image and smooth for their compact size,,,mebbe slightly nicer than my fav L26's ?? hadnt noticed before..they are L40A's.

Pulled the LF and this was a surprise to me..the gaskets have tabs that are stapled thru to hold crisscrossed bats behind the driver...in all the JBL's I've opened, this is the first of that config.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    So is that the speaker safari over ?
    Mac - it seems the cheap speakers have dried up...they had some cheesey AR/teledyne 3 ways, but wanted $150 w/o grills and untested...not for this pup, and some crappy little Infinity's that i passed on too I did end up with a nice Technics SL-D3 with good AT cart and this brass 400 day clock..just needs suspension wire ( have fixed clocks for a long time ) ...looked it up, during the VN war, German clocks were being sold in the US PX's and Japan wanted a piece of that market and produced these clones from late 60's to 1975.

On the road again .......

you are a diverse man

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    you are a diverse man
    thanx Mac...thats the nicest thing anyone has called me in a long time..

diverse man = Renaissance man , right ?

OBTW: I like your kilt.

picked up another M&K sub today....will be stereo subs , I guess....

4 B&O CX-100's ..these pups are cast/ one piece solid Aluminum ? 12 pounds each ...hope they sound good as they look after 8 driver refoams I went out to see as the kid/seller who said they were perfect, yeah right ......all 8 need refoams, which I pointed out...he just said "take them", but heck, he needed the money more than I , so I gave him half the asking price ,,,couldn't just "take them".

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    picked up another M&K sub today....will be stereo subs , I guess....
    Wow - that wood strip in the grill is pure class!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Wow - that wood strip in the grill is pure class!
    Might be the nicest thing on the whole unit.

(Sorry, it's just a joke.)
    Out.

Thought I'd post this here, otherwise someone will accuse me of trying to drive the price DOWN!

I saw this ad on Craig's List this morning:
    Harman/Kardon / JBL Stereo System - $150

Harman/Kardon AVR 20-II receiver, Harman/Kardon FL8300 5 disc CD Changer and pair of JBL L5 speakers.

Want to sell as a unit. $150 or best offer.
    So, since it was near my brother-in-law's home in the northeast (the same guy I didn''t bother on a Sunday when spwal picked-up my L5s for me last year) I called and told him to give it a try. Hecalled and got an answering machine, but later got a call back. And now he's going to pick them up. I told him if he didn't like them I'd buy the L5s for the total price and he could pawn the rest of the stuff!

I think he's psyched about becoming a hi-fi guy. I'm hoping his wife won't like them and I'll get them to pass along. When he asked why I'd want them if I already had the L5 and L7s, I knew he didn't understand! The first step was to steal them from the owner. Looks like "mission accomplished" on that front, hopefully. I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Might be the nicest thing on the whole unit.

Taking over for that Az. guy ??

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Thought I'd post this here, otherwise someone will accuse me of trying to drive the price DOWN!

I saw this ad on Craig's List this morning: So, since it was near my brother-in-law's home in the northeast (the same guy I didn''t bother on a Sunday when spwal picked-up my L5s for me last year) I called and told him to give it a try. Hecalled and got an answering machine, but later got a call back. And now he's going to pick them up. I told him if he didn't like them I'd buy the L5s for the total price and he could pawn the rest of the stuff!

I think he's psyched about becoming a hi-fi guy. I'm hoping his wife won't like them and I'll get them to pass along. When he asked why I'd want them if I already had the L5 and L7s, I knew he didn't understand! The first step was to steal them from the owner. Looks like "mission accomplished" on that front, hopefully. I'll let you know.
    sounds like a heckofadeal if you can make it happen, even I wud do that one.

Thread Information