Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I'll see what they say ... (trying to manage my anger better, eh?)

How can I stay mad - I have a cat that LOVES to sleep on the subwoofer ... even when its playing ...
    A kinder , gentler HJ ?
    Maybe that sub gets warm ?

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Clock looks good too, compliments your ensemble
    clock is 1.5 inch black walnut - not veneer/plastic. There is a presentation plaque , given to some AT&T exec. Picked it up at GW. They charge by the pound ($1.59) and it was almost 8 pounds, but I kinda squeeked when they announced the price, so they made it a flat 5.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I've got a woofer on order.
    Another M&K ?? .....musta got a good deal ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    A kinder , gentler HJ ?
    Maybe that sub gets warm ?

Another M&K ?? .....musta got a good deal ?
    Well, the speaker was $50, but shipping doubled that ... so its not worth shipping back for a refund, but if I can get a rebate (even partial) ...

Worst case - I'll sell it locally via Craig's list ... but, I'm waiting to see what comes next ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I got these 3 way AR towers, but there is no model number tag....anyone know which they are ?? ( sound Ok, even in this condition) the tops and bottoms are solid walnut and the grills fit in between those wood plates and tilt back slightly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I got these 3 way AR towers, but there is no model number tag....anyone know which they are ?? .
    they were TSW 610's.

these things are going piece by piece to Oz ...including shipping , they will end up costing more than new ...also sold off the DAS pa's, the bose's , the wharfdales, the Pioneers and the Altecs ...used speaker market is hot.

yesterday picked up JBL J220's ..dont sound too bad for cheapie 2 ways and some Henry Kloss ensembles, - 2 eight in subs with 2 sats - not overpowering, but nice image.

need more storage space...working harder in retirement than when fulltime.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    DL160 is a high output MC in Denons 'light body' series. It will run well in that Thorens arm.with no tracking issues. Much more transparent sounding than the Shure.

1.6mV output. This is plenty because as a low impedence source the input of the pre will not be as noisy as with the Shure hence you can wind the gain up to compensate without any problems. I have sold dozens of these in my time and seriously for the $$$$ its hard to beat.
    Mac , are the other DL - 103,104,110 etc as good a deal ?

Nearly missed that one

The 103 series are probably too heavy bodied to run well in that arm, thats 103 M/ S / D /R there was also a 303 xxx series which were low output and no use to you unless you can score a step up transformer. In fact you should be able to scare one of those up for low $$$$ these days. The reason I suggested the DL160 from that lot is that it is plug and play for your system with no further ado and will work well in that arm.
    There is a DL110 also ( red body ) but it sounds turgid by comparison although I suppose as a starter MC it does OK.
    Oh I forgot the 103 series are low output also.
    IMHO Dynavector, Audio Technica, Ortofon are all too bright , but over the years did sell many Denons with JBL at the other end.
    PS I'm picking up your traits, scored a nice clean pair of L86 with stands for £60 at the weekend. Think I have them placed in the village here for £160 ish.
    Remember our prices are never as low as yours

The 103 series are probably too heavy bodied to run well in that arm, thats 103 M/ S / R there was also a 303 xxx series which were low output and no use to you unless you can score a step up transformer. In fact you should be able to scare one of those up for low $$$$ these days. The reason I suggested the DL160 from that lot is that it is plug and play for your system with no further ado and will work well in that arm.
    There is a DL110 also ( red body ) but it sounds turgid by comparison although I suppose as a starter MC it does OK.
    Oh I forgot the 103 series are low output also.
    IMHO Dynavector, Audio Technica, Ortofon are all too bright , but over the years did sell many Denons with JBL at the other end.
    PS I'm picking up your traits, scored a nice clean pair of L86 with stands for £60 at the weekend. Think I have them placed in the village here for £160 ish.
    Remember our prices are never as low as yours
    Thanx Mac - glad I asked as I see DL110's going for nearly as much as DL-160's.

L86's ? If you are carefull when buying, I think its better investment than putting money in the bank. My dad who was a PHD and in "whos who in America" ..etc..etc always said " You make your money the day you buy, not the day you sell"

Of all the speakers that I've sold (many) , only 1 set has been to a female , and she was buying for a bf. Men like speakers. (and HJ too).

Yup And Yup

Weirdly there is another set of L86 nearby for £50 , I might snag em too even just to have the mid an top drivers.
    It was ever thus with those carts , the extra few bucks gets you a lot more in the end. Basically a better diamond.
    High o/p MC carts are tricky to make because there are more turns on the coil and since the coil ( s ) are mounted on the cantilever you dont want to add mass etc etc . Denon did a good job with these and have been running them 20 plus years.
    If you want to go low output, DL301 will do the trick but you will need the step up. look for Denon AU 320.

If you are carefull when buying, I think its better investment than putting money in the bank. My dad who was a PHD and in "whos who in America" ..etc..etc always said " You make your money the day you buy, not the day you sell"
    Sage advise!

Hunting's getting pretty good over there too huh Mac
    Just Play Music.

Nope

Slim Pickings. Hens teeth etc.

going to look at a Pioneer PL-530 today. Any sage advise ?

Nothing to report

Generic early DD. Not a keeper IMHO

Generic early DD. Not a keeper IMHO
    this is what the web says ...

DUAL MOTOR - DIRECT PLATTER DRIVE AND A SPECIAL SERVO-DRIVE MOTOR EXCLUSIVE TO TONE ARM TRACKING AND AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT FEATURES.
    PL-530: Fully automatic and direct drive. A unique and fairly complicated turntable for the late 1970's. Two motors. One for the platter and one for the tone arm. The platter operates at a minimal 0.03% WRMS / wow and flutter. The tone arm is far advanced from other mass-produced units of it's time. The arm pivots on "open" or "loose" ball bearings. Open bearings in races. There's 3 pivot points opposed to the usual four. 26 loose bearings for vertical movement, and 12 loose (larger) bearings for horizontal tracking. An audiophile arm for it's time. The controls operate on actual cables. Like bicycle brake cables. Where standard turntables - Marantz 6300 - Technics etc... use wire.

PL-530
    Elegant and wide record player with a direct-drive Hall-effect motor and a separate motor for the tonearm wrapped up in attractive look-at-me looks.

Double float system: The PL-530 Has a standard wood press board plinth base . And a steel sub- chassis. The tone arm connects to the subchassis. The subchassis is suspended from the plinth, along with the tone arm. All vibrations are absorbed twice, before they have a chance to spoil the record's tonal quality.

PL - 530 features a pre-formed "Monocoque Walnut Grained" cabinet. So the grain all flows correct.

here's one that went for $361
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-PL-530-T...QQcmdZViewItem

OK ...later

yeah , I bought it ...pristine condition with a ADC XLM mk2 cart ...sounds quite nice,
    the guy even delivered...all for a couple of quid.

Just won this auction on Ebay. Looks like a half-decent pair of L26s to me, but I can't tell and the seller wasn't replying. They're mine now. What do you think? Ebay item #150236438225

i own a pair of 26 too. i dont know what to do with them either!
    oh yeah and mr. seawolf -youre amazing!!

cheers,
    mikey

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Just won this auction on Ebay. Looks like a half-decent pair of L26s to me, but I can't tell and the seller wasn't replying. They're mine now. What do you think? Ebay item #150236438225
    for $30 you cant go wrong...the logos are worth at least that ....(last logo pair I saw went for $51) ....I think you may be impressed if they work right. Maybe missing cardboard gaskets on fronts of 125A's ? Worth an EZ $175 on CL.

Anyway ..imaging is outstanding on these ...nice score !!!!!

...also sold off the DAS pa's, the bose's , the wharfdales, the Pioneers and the Altecs ...used speaker market is hot.

yesterday picked up JBL J220's ..dont sound too bad for cheapie 2 ways .
    The J220's are gone, only had them a week - they were the consumer version of 4355's ( ) ...uh huh , and the CS88a's and the Hitch DD tt and the Technix DD tt and the Kenwood Stone tt are gone too ...been busy.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information