Page 46 of 63 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    90 degrees, nice bike ride.

grabbed a 1903 UK bible today. Was browsing and puzzled by this page....Britain, France & Ireland
    The Kings and Queens of England, as well as Great Britain, claimed the French throne from around 1340 until the 19th Century with a couple of brief intermissions in the 1360s and 1420s

James the VI/I and his "Authorized King James Version", First Edition, appeared in 1611 I believe, so there you go

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Smith Jr View Post
    The Kings and Queens of England, as well as Great Britain, claimed the French throne from around 1340 until the 19th Century with a couple of brief intermissions in the 1360s and 1420s

James the VI/I and his "Authorized King James Version", First Edition, appeared in 1611 I believe, so there you go
    Seems kinda strange now.
    You do get that 1611 date right too. here's another pic from that bible.

Where in USA are you ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Seems kinda strange now.
    What is kind of strange now?

there was a phone number ... I looked at it and thought "I know that number"
    Oh yeah , that's LHF member maggnepan's number. Hope I'm wrong. No. It was Dan who died last week. F*ck.... he's been a friend for 30 years.
    Called and talked to his son. He mentioned that Dan said I was one of his real friends. So I got in the truck and drove way over to Hillsboro. The boys had things stacked up for me.
    Said he was getting calls from Seattle,Eugene ,,San Fran ..etc.

Stuffed the truck with: ..... highlights

JBL 4671OK's (that I had sold to him)
    etc
    I sold the JBL's yesterday - for the 2nd time. Buyer was a longtime Klipsch guy who just wanted more sound in his system.
    Did a demo and he had a huge grin. Thankfully his son came along and I didn't have to do the speaker moving.

Was almost breaking even on the cost of his audio estate by selling some of the smaller things BEFORE the JBL's. They alone would have evened the books. Decided to keep the ESS's and TT , and still have a lot of Dan's things to move out.

Last month a CL buyer tipped me to another of his kids sales ... a huge lot of TT carts (30-40 ?) and headshells & arms for $100.

well, the cheap audio gear seems to have dried up

so on my long salvage rides now I mostly find things interesting to me....records, books, geegaws..etc.

yesterday I hauled home a Zyliss , Swiss made, alloy, 4 in 1 bench vice in it's box with accessories ... think it's a keeper.

Also 2 copies of the 1945 radio amateurs handbook. All tube, of course. Full of tech tables, lists,,,but the ads are most interesting. No JBL, but a nice Altec ad

here's more pix

HOT today, had to get out ....

picked up some small stuff at GW.
    electrical bins came out and I noticed a woman pick up a pair
    of Sennheiser HD-580's. Oh crap..how could I miss those

So I walked around a bit and crossed paths with her. I asked very nicely
    "could I buy those from you" ?? (I know those cans VERY well , having bought
    a pair in the 1990's and still loving them)

She replied "Oh, you'd like them ? Here ..glad somebody can appreciate them"
    I was floored. Took them with profuse thanx. Quizzed her on what she's looking
    for so I can return the favor. Plugged them into the Nano that's my little riding
    buddy , sounded great. Were about a pound.. at $1.69 per.

NEXT DAY ....they sounded great as expected, but both the headband foams were flat and the foam that's exposed in the middle of the earpads was rotten. The interweb as great about DIY fixes on those. Doing even better now.

OKAY ..here's the AFTER pic, white batting in the background. Much much better ...you can see that they were dead flat in #1 pic..... here's the link in case somebody else needs to do it http://logikir100.tripod.com/sennheiser.htm

Oh yeah, this thread goes OT sometimes and that's part of the fun for me

A friend who stays at the GW salvage 8 hours each day showed me what he had picked up.

A belt buckle. But it had a swastika on it. We researched a bit and found it was part of the uniform of "The Hitler Youth" organization. Dates to 1936.

All jazzed up till we found value. About $30.

The Sennheisers in prior post are NOT Germany produced. Made in Ireland

Oh yeah, this thread goes OT sometimes and that's part of the fun for me

A friend who stays at the GW salvage 8 hours each day showed me what he had picked up.

A belt buckle. But it had a swastika on it. We researched a bit and found it was part of the uniform of "The Hitler Youth" organization. Dates to 1936.

All jazzed up till we found value. About $30.

The Sennheisers in prior post are NOT Germany produced. Made in Ireland
    That's where they've been making their headphones for almost, but not quite, 30 years now
    At least since the early 90s
    http://en-us.sennheiser.com/service-support-services

Thumbs down no audio again today ...

but as readers of this thread know .... I will always settle for clocks.

found this beautiful 1958 German anniversary clock today. Solid brass movement. Doesn't have a key, but I have a stash of them.

Even "she who doesn't approve of anything I bring home" was impressed , especially when I told her how much I paid for it

...haven't even cleaned it up yet

daveschott
    but as readers of this thread know .... I will always settle for clocks.

found this beautiful 1958 German anniversary clock today. Solid brass movement. Doesn't have a key, but I have a stash of them.

Even "she who doesn't approve of anything I bring home" was impressed , especially when I told her how much I paid for it

...haven't even cleaned it up yet

Is that a Schatz? Can't quite make out the name. I did a little research on these. My deceased brother brought one home for my parents from a Atlantic/Mediterranean deployment cruise in the mid 1950's (submariner). I was a bit surprised that they go so cheaply on ebay, tons of them were manufactured and many different models.

Yours looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by daveschott View Post
    Is that a Schatz? Can't quite make out the name. I did a little research on these. My deceased brother brought one home for my parents from a Atlantic/Mediterranean deployment cruise in the mid 1950's (submariner). I was a bit surprised that they go so cheaply on ebay, tons of them were manufactured and many different models.

Yours looks great.
    The dial says "Kundo" ..web shows Kieninger & Obergfell Kundo clock – West-Germany - 1958. http://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/3...t-germany-1958
    They are beautifully built ..heavy glass, brass works, but you are correct .. not high value. I just like clocks and so value is not the primary reason why I buy them. Living room has many displayed. Walls & tables.

I found one valuation at $175, but street/ebay is closer to 50.

Of all the Google photos, I haven't seen one with the same dial.

Should clean up nicely.

OBTW: It came from my favorite "priced by the pound" store. $1.69 per.

It weighed about 4.5 lbs. , but the glass top was 2 pounds of that total. Glass is priced at 39 cents/lb. So I paid for the top separately . totaled out at less than a BigMac.

Drug home 2 pairs of cans today ... some PSB's (have only seen in catalogs) and my DREAM pair .... Dr.DreDetox's. Both have mini plugs on each side and you can connect to either.

The PSB's ? Very dynamic. Great bass and highs. EXTREMELY comfortable , despite vanilla looks (that's not me in the pic) ... can't make the ANC work right, but on passive..it's great.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/headpho...-m4u-2-review/

Dr.DreDetox's ? MSRP $399. IMHO ...msrp should be about $9.95 MUD, no highs, construction OK. why do people buy this druck ? (except me ... I buy by the pound , that's my excuse ... and they will resell easily )

Drug home 2 pairs of cans today ... some PSB's (have only seen in catalogs) and my DREAM pair .... Dr.DreDetox's. Both have mini plugs on each side and you can connect to either.

The PSB's ? Very dynamic. Great bass and highs. EXTREMELY comfortable , despite vanilla looks (that's not me in the pic) ... can't make the ANC work right, but on passive..it's great.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/headpho...-m4u-2-review/

Dr.DreDetox's ? MSRP $399. IMHO ...msrp should be about $9.95 MUD, no highs, construction OK. why do people buy this druck ? (except me ... I buy by the pound , that's my excuse ... and they will resell easily )
    Cool
    There are lots of posts and articles on-line about Dre's beats, many are fake
    I've read a few write ups about how they use bits of metal to make them feel heavy to convey build quality
    Check them out carefully before you flip so you don't wind up with some irate c-lister

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Smith Jr View Post
    Check them out carefully before you flip so you don't wind up with some irate c-lister

before CL listing, I watched a half dozen Youtube vids about how to spot fakes. i THINK mine are real but will not guarantee.

spent some time last night with the PSB's. They really are quite good.

Thread Information