Page 41 of 63 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Quote Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
    Wow, awesome. I'm definitely checking it out when I'm down there (should be this week).
    don't think that you can spend 10 minutes and find something great. first trip (for me) was just observing the culture of the place and operation. We've been frequenting it about 30 years since.

I ride bike down there and don't remove my helmet when shopping (shades the light) ... other shoppers pick up on it and grab bike related stuff for me - just to make contact and be nice.

Good Hunting !!! (I may bike down there today )

LATER: no audio today. did grab a Vietnam era poncho liner (very collectable and useable) , an 1850's German bible , Italian leather bike saddle , Gossen Luna Pro ..etc...etc.

It was hot on the trip home , so I stopped at the river and soaked feet & gloves , continued on and had a nice lunch, then when crossing a main street (82nd) ...whoosh. Flat tire. Pushed over to a big walnut tree and found a nice patch of grass and swapped tubes. That screwed my mellow day
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    better pics

the best info that I can find shows that it's Sterling and approx. 200 years old. would be interesting to see
    it's journey over that time from China to USA to GW to SW.
    I took it in to my beautiful Chinese librarian (it's tough, but had to do it) .... she deciphered the bottom
    and was backed up by the web , bottom says "GOLD BIRD" . Don't know if that advanced the research
    (but it was fun) ... on both sides of the top is the symbol for "fortune" . She ventured a guess that it was
    Ching Dynasty and I was impressed until I looked it up.

Ching/Qing was the last imperial dynasty of China, ruling from 1644 to 1912 with a brief, abortive restoration in 1917.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qing_dynasty

that didn't narrow it down much .

bags were full of good stuff today. only audio related was one of these , with cable.

Oh yeah, I grabbed one of these ,,, full kit (but SPECIAL EDITION) ...seems to work great
    http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/deta...vi-1300lm.html

nothing new today, but

I may have discovered the missing link between 4311's & L-100's

(while fixing the broken grille)

Smile lookin for speakers, today .. but caught a tuna

lots of features ... may keep it.

Oh yeah, one of my friends picked up a US currency guide. it was holding 13 bills ...Japanese printed Pesos & Centavos ...on closer inspection , it was occupation money issued in the Philippians WW2 . That store is like a treasure hunt.

no speakers today, but

a SL-1900 in pretty good shape with good Grado cart
    has the dreaded cueing problem , a new winter project

17 pounds hanging off the bikes left side ... right turns were harder

80sKid
    You must live in an exceptional area!

I visited the Goodwill outlet in Hamden CT and it was almost entirely crap. All the A/V stuff certainly was. Every single speaker was Technics Sanyo Pioneer (from the old days) or little Sony / Aiwa shelf speakers. All crap.

They had office chairs for $4 and every single one of them was stained, which isn't a deal breaker, but discouraging. I spotted the best one of the bunch and I pushed it all the way to the back and put some other chairs in front of it. Someone must have noticed. When I returned not 10 minutes later, it was gone.

I realize that it's not going to be good stuff every single time, but based on how lousy it was this time (and how far a trip it is for me), I'll not be bothering to return again.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
    You must live in an exceptional area!

I visited the Goodwill outlet in Hamden CT and it was almost entirely crap. .
    At our OUTLET store , buyers descend on new tables and 3 minutes later .. all that was good is gone, only crap remains for the bottom feeders. It's a full contact sport. , but the regulars know and help each other.

People bring me bike or audio gear ... just out of nowhere. Even people that I don't know.

we have 4 GW outlet stores in the area and thrifting is a local past time. There are 12 various stores within my biking radius.

3 of them are clean, namby pamby , standard GW outlet stores. The other is at the end of a long bike path, hectic , with a Wild West atmosphere, day job to many dealers , a treasure hunt, and actually has more than crap.

Guess which one that I shop at ? They have so much stuff coming out that it really can't be sorted well. To keep from getting buried in the donations, the entire inventory is removed/replaced every 2 hours (or less) . Shoppers jockey for position when new tables are wheeled out and the grab fest starts.

Yeah, it's a big "free for all" , but I've been doing it since 1984. Some of the deals I've hauled home would astound you.

too bad that yours didn't work out.

off to rolling down to the salvage store today.... hauled back some Sennheiser HD 130's
    and Acutex 312 LPM (lowest possible mass) , but the best find prolly made by my bud.

He got a Platinum record mounted in a frame with a clock emerging from the spindle hole ..
    presented to our local rock station ..KGON ..from ARISTA records ... for million sales of Al Stewart's "Time Passages"

similar to this:

Despite the thread title, doesn't seem to be many speakers to discover anymore
    so I just find small audio or things of interest.

yesterday, among others: a MS desktop PC GPS attachment , some bOZE QC headphones (crappy construction)
    a SONY 16 MP pocket camera (seems to work well) and my old standby & love ...windup clock.

this one is German, from the 1950's (?) , it's a chimer (NOT WM), maybe St. Michael's (?) ... online
    only found one pic ...that's from an old clock shop in Saigon....been running all night.

http://donghoxuacu.com/ms-t038/

Despite the thread title, doesn't seem to be many speakers to discover anymore
    so I just find small audio or things of interest.
    and then ,,,, just as I say "there are no more" ..... the day we go to the beach, my bud (the 8 hour a day in that store guy)
    snags some odd ones .... http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...images/164207/

oh well, wud have been tough to bungie onto the bike

Grabbed a pretty presentable pair of Dynaco A25's today...too heavy to bungee to the bike rack,
    so gonna have to return to retrieve in a 4 wheeled vehicle tomorrow ....

been reading reviews (have never heard a pair) and look forward to playing with them.
    (have ALWAYS liked little 2 way systems)

Grabbed a pretty presentable pair of Dynaco A25's today...too heavy to bungee to the bike rack,
    so gonna have to return to retrieve in a 4 wheeled vehicle tomorrow ....

been reading reviews (have never heard a pair) and look forward to playing with them.
    (have ALWAYS liked little 2 way systems)
    I haven't owned or listened to a pair in 40 years, but I used to think they sounded absolutely fantastic. Nice score.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I haven't owned or listened to a pair in 40 years, but I used to think they sounded absolutely fantastic. Nice score.
    I knew they were budget priced (what I'm reading is that 600K pairs were sold) , but did NOT realize that
    the are Danish and populated with ScanSpeak or SEAS drivers.

LATER: In addition to the Dynas, dragged home (all pristine) late model dual TT w/ nice Ortofon cart , a HK receiver (680i) and pair M&K sat 2 speakers , HK cassette deck (bad belt )
    all included owners manuals and paperwork.

walked into thrift yesterday and found a beautiful Sansui FM tuner. yeah, I don't need
    one, but the condition was so good and price so low that, well ...you know.

25 pounds. Another customer gave me a workable bag from her car to strap it onto the bike.
    left turns were easy, rights..not so much.

also this somewhat rare manual.

Thread Information