Page 35 of 63 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Wink They followed me home ,, honest

. at least that's what I'm telling her.

(haven't even wiped them down yet, busy listening )

if I didn't have better, could easily live with these ....
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

On the L-88's

seller's story (and I did believe him) was ...

"Dad bought 4 of them new (late 70's) for his QUAD system. When he passed, I took 1 pair and hooked them
    to my guitar amp. Immediately blew a tweeter. Sold that pair cheap. These are the survivors. Where are those boxes ?"

Smile you have to love the hyperbole (BOLD is mine)

JBL Ti 120 speakers with stands - $400 (sw portland)

A pair of JBL Ti 120 speakers with stands. Excellent condition and well cared for. Original boxes included for transporting them.

Considered to be the best consumer speaker JBL ever produced - see the independent online reviews.

$400 cash, firm.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/4649152980.html

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    JBL Ti 120 speakers with stands - $400 (sw portland)
    Buy 'em, put 'em on Ebay and let the Japanese collectors move that decimal over for you . . .

oh, that's another thread, isn't it?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

This is kinda cool, in kitchey kinda way

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/4645577014.html

tubes and only $75

Oh yeah, the PhaseTech's just walked out the door ... there was a lot of interest in them . Everybody loved the re-stain job.

I like to keep things simple

and this L-88 network .... as simple as you can get
    (but it does it's job well )

Unbuilt Heathkit AS 1373 3 Way SpeakerPair

Got a pair of these off of the bay. Now I get to put them together. The woofer foam surrounds and the grille foam (similar to the L100) all are pretty much intact.

Larry

Toob Rube here ...

it seems like every CLister coming to my place wants toob gear , so today I grabbed a mono amp. Looks to be in good shape.

also a 1966 Dead poster. Far as I can tell , it MAY be original

the little amp be gone

thanx, I didn't mention the big issue in the rehab.

The Ti domes were both crushed in. I have opened and straightened those before. The first one got reformed with no problems. Figured smooth sailing on the second too. Nope.

The interior foam plug had turned sticky , and it stuck hard to the pole piece and to the dented dome. When I carefully lifted the HF plinth off ..it made a bad sound. The Ti got pulled down by the foam and made a crack. I re-rounded it from the backside, but there was about 1/8th inch where the crack was that I could now see light through it. F*ck.

Not too much problem. i have 2 extra 044ti's and put them away in a secure location. Went to where I remembered that to be ...NOPE. Tried 4 or 5 alternates...No Joy. Yeah, I have 2 spares , but can't find them. Too secure.
    That morning I had been reading bike tips on the web. They said that if you get a tire cut and don't want to leave it open , drop a little Superglue into it.
    Hmmm... so I put a drop on the inside of the dome where the light passed and a drop on the outside of same location. figured that it may get me by until I can locate the spares.

Well, heck ...it works pretty well. Tried today at higher gain and it still held up. No, it's not the permanent fix , but will get it done till the replacements present themselves. .
    I started noticing that the tweet with the cracked dia (repaired with superglue) was raspy at higher gain levels , so I tried a little harder to find my 2 spare 044Ti's.

For 2 months, no luck locating. Yesterday while looking for the Hafler pre, I found a box on top of the pile marked 044ti , just where they should be and marked correctly.

Of course, replacing the HF isn't quite so easy. It is back mounted . remove the LF and wires. get arm between port tube and MF box to catch driver as you unscrew from the front, and vv to install.

It was worth the effort, they sound great now. I think they are my fave bookshelf.

I went on speaker safari last Monday and brought home a box, but not the kind I was looking for.

I bought my workhorse PC in 2003...a Dell P4,3 Ghz , 200 gb drive , 1 gb ram. Have slowly upgraded components and it has soldiered on pretty well until the power supply croaked 3 months back.

Switched over to my Vaio laptop = core duo , 4gb ram, 320 hd, 19 in screen. It's been nice.

So in the thrift store the "computer guy" is bringing the new stock out to the glass case. I'm standing there and he remarks "this black one here is the biggest, baddest PC that we've ever had"

There was a beautiful black Antec case ..he had noted some specs on a label ....Intel i5 2500K, quad core ....(the K is significant as it means the CPU is NOT speed locked). 8gb ram , 400 gb hard drive , lots of USB 2 & 3 ports , optical o/p, firewire, gigabit Ethernet, 7.1 audio, Plextor fast (24x) DVD burner , nice ASUS mb, super quiet .... I figure it for maybe 2 years old...for $100. (That's not too much more than reviving my 12 y.o. Dell.)

the cpu is clocked at 3.3 Ghz , but many reports say it runs fine on air cooling at 4.3
    (faster than an i7)

case is beautiful. had to buy it. have W7 up and running. gonna move the hd from old box over too.

I went on speaker safari last Monday and brought home a box, but not the kind I was looking for.

I bought my workhorse PC in 2003...a Dell P4,3 Ghz , 200 gb drive , 1 gb ram. Have slowly upgraded components and it has soldiered on pretty well until the power supply croaked 3 months back.

Switched over to my Vaio laptop = core duo , 4gb ram, 320 hd, 19 in screen. It's been nice.

So in the thrift store the "computer guy" is bringing the new stock out to the glass case. I'm standing there and he remarks "this black one here is the biggest, baddest PC that we've ever had"

There was a beautiful black Antec case ..he had noted some specs on a label ....Intel i5 2500K, quad core ....(the K is significant as it means the CPU is NOT speed locked). 8gb ram , 400 gb hard drive , lots of USB 2 & 3 ports , optical o/p, firewire, gigabit Ethernet, 7.1 audio, Plextor fast (24x) DVD burner , nice ASUS mb, super quiet .... I figure it for maybe 2 years old...for $100. (That's not too much more than reviving my 12 y.o. Dell.)

the cpu is clocked at 3.3 Ghz , but many reports say it runs fine on air cooling at 4.3
    (faster than an i7)

case is beautiful. had to buy it. have W7 up and running. gonna move the hd from old box over too.
    got it running at 4 ghz
    moved HD from old Dell ...650GB inside, 3TB external
    Gigabit ethernet is fast.
    shared ram gives 2gb memory for video
    back to a 24 inch screen , surprising how much bigger it is than the laptop's 19
    whisper quiet
    LightScribe Plextor DVD burner
    USB audio through external DAC sounds great going to amp with ESS speakers
    still loading it up.

Oh yeah ...I ran into the thrift's PC guy again. Asked how he had priced it. Says GW gives him a pricing guide,
    but this one was too new and not on the list.

He would have put $300 or more, but GW won't allow him to price at higher than 100 , no matter what it is ..

Finally done building the PC .... running at 4.4 Ghz , sucker is fast

Like Steve McQueen
    All I need's a fast machine

about to switch over to the new Gigbit gateway , things should get even
    better online.

Flashed to bios that's 2 newer . Installed Realtec drivers , sound is great.
    My Firefox is setup to not run Flash, so Pandora wouldn't work , so I switched
    the streams over to Chrome and that setup seems even better . No problem
    running 2 browsers.

__________________________________________________ _____________

grabbed one of these yesterday

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/4794978864.html

Question Weird CL interaction

so a guy and his wife come over for TT belt about 3 weeks ago ...I'm fitting one and look over
    and she is fondling my 250ti's. It was late , so I didn't demo them (plus NOT for sale)

then she looked at the 120's

got this email last night from them:

"If you ever want to sell either pair of your teak JBL's. Give me a hollar I would cherish them and give them a great home."

It happens to me all the time, but I find the young chicks really dig that black ash look!

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information