Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

what an epiphany ...

I came to the startling realization that the better source you send to the 120's, the
    better the output sound

Played the Orbison concert DVD "A Black & White Night" ...since I had subbed a DVD player into the system to replace the CD deck. Wow

Also now that they are on stands where they reflect light, I noticed a cup ring on the top.
    Dredging back into LHF archives , the answer appeared. TOOTHPASTE

Got a rag and buffed it in ... ring gone ... (and my speaker now smells minty fresh )
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Picked up this pair of L-110's today. Pristine cabs/grilles ...just need woof refoams. Thought of Larry (Mr. L110) when grabbing them.

had never seen any with the hybrid foilcals and pots in braille before.

NO DENTED DOMES...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Some nice 3 way's coming through now , you're on a roll

I'll be interested to hear how you find the 110's v the 120's

Tom, they look like they are the first generation L110s, not L110As. Am I correct?

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by LRBacon View Post
    Tom, they look like they are the first generation L110s, not L110As. Am I correct?

Larry
    although they have twist lock binding posts (indicates A on some models) , no imbedded A near serial numbers.
    The wife looked at them and agreed that there is NOTHING to do to them other than refoam. Cabs/grilles/drivers are nearly perfect . Even the bottoms are unscratched (first time I'd ever seen that) . Seller remarked that his Dad bought them new and they've sat on a shelf and never moved.
    I kept looking at the woof , trying to figure out the size. It's not really a 10 , but it's bigger than an 8. They'll have to sit for a while , I don't have anywhere to play them.

Biggest fear is that they'll get dinged up while being stored after living their whole lives safely.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Some nice 3 way's coming through now , you're on a roll
    yeah, this stuff comes in cycles. The 120ti's are keepers. but I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the 110's.

Tom, if they were the "A"s I'd take them off your hands.
    I have nice pair of first generation that I bought from a fellow forum member 7-8 years ago.

Larry

Tom, if they were the "A"s I'd take them off your hands.
    I have nice pair of first generation that I bought from a fellow forum member 7-8 years ago.

Larry
    serials are 15234 & 17866

'Twas oznob that I bought the pair from, along with a pair JBL like speaker stands.
    I recapped the networks and installed re-coned LE111As that 4313B had done for me.
    They are currently stored in their boxes in my garage.

They are currently stored in their boxes in my garage.
    I don't even have room in the garage for them .... off to CL , I guess ...unless somebody on LHF and near PDX wants them.

I heard them at the sellers home , and while they are very nice, they just won't displace the 120Ti's . (and those displaced the Missions, 18ti's and about 5-6 others) ... I only have so many ears/hours of listening time/hookups and storage space ... and refuse to rent a warehouse.

aside: 2 Xmas's ago , I sold off 32 pairs (Boses/Advents/JBL's*) ...they took ocean voyages to Saigon. My JBL collection has faded down to the 250ti's , 18ti's, 120Ti's ,
    L-110's, Ps-100, CL-505 & UB212.

*L-26's,L-36's,L-40's,L-56's,L-65's,L-88's,L-86's,L-166's,4408's,4410's,4412's

got the grilles today

thanx again JBLNut , the grilles look great . hard to remember how poor they looked with nasty veneer , drivers hanging out, crushed HF & MF domes , ratty LF foam almost 2 weeks ago ...and they look and sound fine now. Very definitely keepers.

They sound pretty nice stuck on top of the chairs (we never use those anyway) and are tilted up a bit .. and out of the way for when we start stacking ready firewood for the stove this winter.

If you don't mind waiting , and keeping your eyes open, your objet du désir , may present itself ...(if you are lucky )

doing it on a budget is the tricky part.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    that's obvious , the 120's are 10 better than the 110's ..(elementary , my dear Mac...)

Saw these the other day, but were too heavy to carry on the bike. Better half took me to Mongolian Grill for brunch today and it wasn't very far away , so ..... well, you know.

they do get nice reviews ... http://www.stereophile.com/content/p...60-loudspeaker , so I gambled , They actually sound pretty good.

Summing Up - Stereophile
    "Overall I find the PC-60 to be nicely balanced and eminently listenable. The lower range just beats the pants off the present competition. Enough said—this speaker is highly recommended."

Judging by the excellence of the finish of our review samples—I love the light oak veneer—the two-way, sealed-enclosure PC-60 ($400/pair) would not appear to the product of a novice company. And indeed, Phase Technology has been in business for almost 30 years, most of this time under the name United Speaker Systems. When, then, aren't these names familiar to you? Well, because for all those years the company ahs been designing and fabricating loudspeakers for other manufacturers, starting in 1959 with Fisher Radio, and since then for McIntosh, Yamaha, Pioneer, ElectroVoice, Dynaco, and others—brandnames well-known to all of us. Designer Bill Hecht, who, by the way, holds the US patent on the very popular soft-dome tweeter, must be one of the least-known "grand old men" of audio.

I haven't looked into Phase Tech speakers for probably 15yrs, but when I managed a HT store, I remember Phase Tech having an interesting concept in dealer protection - you had to buy into the company for some nominal amount, and got paid a divedend over time out of profits. This was their way of keeping fly-by-nights away, gaining brand loyalty and assuring you kept selling the brand. The local dealer that did buy in didn't seem to get much out of it...
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

the Phase Tech cabs were very dry and scratched. I discovered that the mandarin Teak tungseal from the 120's was still out , so I did the PT's also. Came out pretty good.

The really do look nice! Those rounded corners remind me of the
    M&K Volkswoofer you pointed out to me a few years back!
    Lush woods!

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    the Phase Tech cabs were very dry and scratched. I discovered that the mandarin Teak tungseal from the 120's was still out , so I did the PT's also. Came out pretty good.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

It's funny, Mr. DD just got a pair of 120Ti's too and has just about the same reaction. and he has figured out also that they aren't super resale value , but I'm of the opinion that they MAY be the best bookshelves that I've heard

I would recommend that IF you find a pair at a reasonable price & like this size , they can cure you of ever wanting L-65's or L-100's again.

Quote Originally Posted by DingDing View Post
    The 120Ti sounds amazing, they surely do. Yup, I tried both positions on the switches. Had them singing for 3 weeks and loved it, they throw a really nice soundstage and they have great attack too. Kept them around because they're to darn good to give up for what they're worth. After three weeks of adjusting to the 120Ti and going back to the 4343B I actually had to check all connections, because I thought there was something wrong with the highs in the big boys, haha. Comes to show how we adapt.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDing View Post

With 120Ti it's wonderful. You get great soundstage with depth, again the the attack is just wonderful and, well, they're great amps.

Thread Information