Page 30 of 63 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

I mounted the Gallo single up high in a corner in the bathroom behind the sheer curtain and it's sure impressive on FM from the Advent 400. Punchy & nice dispersion.

Would love to hear a full & correct Gallo system
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

dragged home these little 414's .... sound so nice that maybe I'll spring for some original yellow earpads
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've bought three sets of 414s over the years, one for each kid plus mine from somewhere in the '70s.
    Kinda wish I still had my Stax but the 414s sure are nice.
    Share what you know, learn what you don't...

Quote Originally Posted by WDJ View Post
    I've bought three sets of 414s over the years, one for each kid plus mine from somewhere in the '70s.
    yeah, they kinda look like kids toys , but they sound good ... was reading that these were the first "miniature" cans , everything before them was huge.

Quote Originally Posted by WDJ View Post
    Hell of a comparison... "Wish I'd kept my Aston Martin, but I sure do enjoy the Karmann Ghia."

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    yeah, they kinda look like kids toys , but they sound good ... was reading that these were the first "miniature" cans , everything before them was huge.
    Oh yeah... don't you remember the sensation they created? Not much in the bass dept, but otherwise quite enjoyable.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Oh yeah... don't you remember the sensation they created? Not much in the bass dept, but otherwise quite enjoyable.

Widget
    well, they are a 50 y.o. model and there may have been improvements since then

there is an anniversary model of the 414's , but I'm pretty happy with my Senn HD-25-1 mk2's and HD-580's and even the PX 200's & PCX-150's ....

I think that what started me into cans was, of all things , time in the USN. In close quarters speakers were too large and invasive and phones fit the bill for high quality sound. In some cases the sound was better than comparably priced speakers anyway ..

FLASHBACK ALERT : I was just picturing delivering newspapers from my bike at 12 years old...had a crystal AM radio (built from a kit) on the handlebars and a single white twisted pair wire up to the the earpiece with a wire ear hanger... WOW

well, they are a 50 y.o. model and there may have been improvements since then

there is an anniversary model of the 414's , but I'm pretty happy with my Senn HD-25-1 mk2's and HD-580's and even the PX 200's & PCX-150's ....

I think that what started me into cans was, of all things , time in the USN. In close quarters speakers were too large and invasive and phones fit the bill for high quality sound. In some cases the sound was better than comparably priced speakers anyway ..

FLASHBACK ALERT : I was just picturing delivering newspapers from my bike at 12 years old...had a crystal AM radio (built from a kit) on the handlebars and a single white twisted pair wire up to the the earpiece with a wire ear hanger... WOW
    Seawolf97,

I may look into a better set for the summer. Open windows, new neighbors and life in a town home association considerations.

Any advantages to over-ear or around-ear in your experience with head phones? I have a set of Grado 60 and may want to move up the chain a bit. They over-ea... OK but tend to let in ambient noise and the bass lacks some punch.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Seawolf97,
    Any advantages to over-ear or around-ear in your experience with head phones? I have a set of Grado 60 and may want to move up the chain a bit. They over-ea... OK but tend to let in ambient noise and the bass lacks some punch.
    Don't know what your source is ... real amp or DAP ? but either of those drive my recommendation Senns very well . They were made for noise isolation and media field work and are "on ear". Now I've always sought out "around ear , open back" , but the 25's were comfortable for me and the sound is great.

there are a couple of different variants , I'd suggest the "-1" if you go with this set.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD2...iser+hd25-1+ii

"Overall, I really like the HD25-1. Neutral and balanced, yet also dynamic and punchy. (Most neutral phones lack punch, and most punchy phones lack neutrality and balance). It drives nicely straight from your DAP, but plug in an amp and it’ll go from punchy to seismic! Good sound, solid build quality, and a cool looking design too!"

http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd-25-1/

Sennheiser HD 25-II headphones

Iconic 'phones are the choice of DJs across the world

DJ EXPO 2013: Introduced in 1988, Sennheiser's HD 25 headphones have attained iconic status as the choice of DJs and music professionals the world over.
    The HD 25s made their commercial debut in in 1988. They were originally developed for outside broadcasting, featuring rotatable capsules that were ideal for one-ear monitoring and offered impressive attenuation of background noise, while staying comfortable for long periods of use.
    From 1989 to 2004 British Airways used the HD 25 BA for Concorde passengers. Due to their excellent performance in high-noise environments, they were perfectly suited for passenger use on planes, blocking engine and wind noise with their closed design and secure fit. Music professionals and performers travelling in style took notice. Passengers liked them so much; they occasionally took the headphones with them.
    From 2000 the headphones were increasingly seen behind the DJ decks of famous clubs. DJ fans include superstars such as Bob Sinclar, Luciano, QBert and equally rising stars such as Betoko.
    Sennheiser is celebrating the 25th anniversary of its HD 25 headphones with the launch of the HD 25 ALUMINIUM this year, a new version featuring a unique aluminium finish. Built to withstand even the most demanding professional use, the HD 25 ALUMINIUM delivers peerless sound quality in headphones that are durable, comfortable and now even more desirable.

http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/te...dphones-578648

Don't know what your source is ... real amp or DAP ? but either of those drive my recommendation Senns very well . They were made for noise isolation and media field work and are "on ear". Now I've always sought out "around ear , open back" , but the 25's were comfortable for me and the sound is great.

there are a couple of different variants , I'd suggest the "-1" if you go with this set.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD2...iser+hd25-1+ii

"Overall, I really like the HD25-1. Neutral and balanced, yet also dynamic and punchy. (Most neutral phones lack punch, and most punchy phones lack neutrality and balance). It drives nicely straight from your DAP, but plug in an amp and it’ll go from punchy to seismic! Good sound, solid build quality, and a cool looking design too!"

http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd-25-1/

Sennheiser HD 25-II headphones

Iconic 'phones are the choice of DJs across the world

DJ EXPO 2013: Introduced in 1988, Sennheiser's HD 25 headphones have attained iconic status as the choice of DJs and music professionals the world over.
    The HD 25s made their commercial debut in in 1988. They were originally developed for outside broadcasting, featuring rotatable capsules that were ideal for one-ear monitoring and offered impressive attenuation of background noise, while staying comfortable for long periods of use.
    From 1989 to 2004 British Airways used the HD 25 BA for Concorde passengers. Due to their excellent performance in high-noise environments, they were perfectly suited for passenger use on planes, blocking engine and wind noise with their closed design and secure fit. Music professionals and performers travelling in style took notice. Passengers liked them so much; they occasionally took the headphones with them.
    From 2000 the headphones were increasingly seen behind the DJ decks of famous clubs. DJ fans include superstars such as Bob Sinclar, Luciano, QBert and equally rising stars such as Betoko.
    Sennheiser is celebrating the 25th anniversary of its HD 25 headphones with the launch of the HD 25 ALUMINIUM this year, a new version featuring a unique aluminium finish. Built to withstand even the most demanding professional use, the HD 25 ALUMINIUM delivers peerless sound quality in headphones that are durable, comfortable and now even more desirable.

http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/te...dphones-578648
    Thanks kindly for responding. Looks like a solid recommendation and a big time saver.

I am draggin' my ass into the digital world though I have made remarkable progress by transitioning to a music server. I have a pre amp with a phones-out and a coiled lead running to my seat. Just like 1972. Still tuck the wire under the amp face plate to relieve the stress off the plug.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Thanks kindly for responding. Looks like a solid recommendation and a big time saver.
    read those amazon reviews if you need convincing

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD2...owViewpoints=1

that's abt $50 under others prices + free shipping.

so I spent my Easter afternoon down at my favorite salvage emporium. Nothing much happening and then out came a Dynaco ST-70 & PAT-4 & FM-3 , but I was too slow. BUMMER

about an hour later more electrical gear, not much of interest , but I saw a closed up box ...said STAX on it , sure enough. I ran with it over to a chair to check it out ... beautiful condition.
    Then I remembered that it needs an energizer too. Went back searching for it, tho not remembering what it looked like.
    I did find this nice looking audio box with rca cables attached and snagged it up too. Picking it up exposed the STAX SRD-5 that I was seeking.

Q's ?? is there a proper way to reactivate the cans ? found another site said to plug them in overnight before testing .... does this seem right ? any other precautions ?

The Van Alstin box ... I think that it may be a tube CD player buffer/amp, but can't find anything online ... Anybody know ??
    Attached Images Attached Images    

The Van Alstin box ... I think that it may be a tube CD player buffer/amp, but can't find anything online ... Anybody know ??
    Sounds reasonable... they're still around to ask

[email protected] Mailing & UPS Address
    Audio by Van Alstine, LLC.
    2665 Brittany Lane
    Woodbury, MN 55125-3022 USA
    Phone
    651-330-9871

Wow ..I got a fast answer from Frank himself

it was designed for a Philips/Magnavox CD player

Wow ..I got a fast answer from Frank himself

it was designed for a Philips/Magnavox CD player
    Yeah, that's Frank. He is a very hands-on business guy. I have enjoyed talking with him a couple of times at the local HiFi show.

I have one of his tube pre amps and have his hybrid power amp high on the list for when the budget allows.
    David F
    San Jose

80sKid

RE: Sennheiser HD25

I would never pay $200 for headphones that sit ON the ear. That type of headphone is not comfortable long-term. For true high fidelity headphone listening you want a headphone that goes AROUND the ear. Not only for the aforementioned comfort factor, but because putting pressure on the outer ear changes the sound of what you hear, because your pinna is being compressed (and that is a large part of what you hear).

For 'phones that go around the ear, check out models like the 558 and 598.

Thread Information