Page 28 of 63 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

I learned a little today ..

from DIYAUDIO:

new class A is an innovative bias circuit that keeps the output transistors in the ready state, eliminating crossover distortion, though keeping idling current low in order for more efficiency
    - some models had computer drive which had an onboard microprocessor controling Icq of the output stage based on thermal and signal parametrics.

the sound of them?...
    fantastic to say the least (well the amps from '78-91) - i should know by now - i have around 75 or so Technics amplifiers in my collection now (some models including SU-V2,V3,V4,V5,V6,V7,V8,V9,V1X,V2X,V4X,V6X,V8X,V40,V5 0,V60,V90D,V460,SE-A3MK2,SE-A5,SE-A7,SE-M100,SU-500,600,700,800,810,SU-G50,70,90,SU-Z22,Z400,Z600,Z780(SU-V78),SU-Z980(V98),SU-Z65 - a few recievers SA-TX50,SA-R430,R377 Hi Density SU-X90 SU-X101,X102

the best bits being clean sound, lots of current, wide dynamic range & loads of good bass - their bad point is they run quite warm and some models heatsinks leave a bit to be desired
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I HAD been quite happy with my PC audio playback system ....pr. ESS AMT 10-b's down low and Sonance MB-30's suspended from the ceiling ... source from an Audlgy ZX-2 sound card and pushed by a Technics - class H - 60 wpc receiver.

Swapped in the Technics integrated amp in today and auditioned ... WOW ..it felt like everything was new.

The ESS's really like the extra power (60 vs 130). Sound is even cleaner. Bass is VERY solid. Feels like more separation. Haven't tried PHONO yet, but no reason it won't be fine too. The surround mode seems to add a little (reverb ?) to the overall sound. Now I have level control on the "B" speakers. And a quantized gain level meter for better control. And a better, latching power switch.

The removed receiver should be worth 10x what I paid for the "new to me" integrated amp. Upgrade and make money at the same time . Love it

I'm really, really impressed with my cheapo system.

did fnd a little more info on "new Class A"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

80sKid
    Thanks for sharing the New Class A info. Interesting! I certainly remember those Technics pieces from back in the day.

Glad to hear you're enjoying a significant improvement in your system. That's always gratifying to slip in a "new" piece and find greater joy.

The number of amps/receivers you've got is pretty crazy! I feel like I'm overdoing it with the dozen I've got in my basement!

I used to have a similar surplus of speakers, but I whittled those down over the last 2 years with craigslist selling. In fact the only "spare" JBL items that I now have on hand are a few of their "Harmony" all-in-one cd/radio/speaker units (their answer to the Bose Wave Radio).

Quote Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
    Thanks for sharing the New Class A info. Interesting! I certainly remember those Technics pieces from back in the day.

The number of amps/receivers you've got is pretty crazy! I feel like I'm overdoing it with the dozen I've got in my basement!
    that was a quote from DIY site , I've only got 20-25

I used to have a similar surplus of speakers, but I whittled those down over the last 2 years with craigslist selling.
    I put my L-86's on CL (shudda kept them) ...buyer came out to get them , ended up buying 32 pairs of various speakers from me. Sent them all to Asia. Then they brought me a jade carved horse for an Xmas present and he being a general contractor, just re-roofed my home last week.

found this book while looking for gear yesterday , it mentions the "presumed next Queen" = Princess Elizabeth .

Was out garage sale-ing on the bike today and ran across these Athena's,
    price was so cheap that there must be something wrong to be leftover on a Sunday. Looked at the back and one of them had busted off binding posts. Did have built-in spikes tho.

Owner told me he had been fighting them for years, as his way to connect the speaker wires was to tape them on the broken posts. Then a week or 2 later they'd fall off and would require another taping.

Paid for them and picked up a couple of hours later. Swapping new binding posts took about 5 minutes ... hooked them up and WOW , mighty nice for 8 inch , 2 ways. Clear mids and clean highs, punchy bass . Listened to them through dinner and they would be keepers, IF I needed more speakers.

80sKid
    Yeah, Athena speakers are great value for money. They're Canadian and take advantage of all that nationally-funded audio research facility they have up there.

Regarding your two pairs of speakers you mentioned earlier.... I've found that typically when two pairs of speakers are so far separated like you have, there is a disconnect in the sound and some musical elements "appear" to come from one pair, and some from the other pair. This is usually exacerbated when the two pairs of speakers are dissimilar and have a different sound character and FR.

Just something to think about with your speaker placement and perhaps you should give some consideration to getting the two pairs closer together.

But before you even try that, I would give the Athenas a shot in place of the Sonance/ESS pairing. They might be superior to both.

But before you even try that, I would give the Athenas a shot in place of the Sonance/ESS pairing. They might be superior to both.
    thanx for the response. The ESS/Sonance are where they are due to space limitations . The Athena towers just wouldn't fit , besides , I have a thang about black vinyl wood printed speakers.

I just got the old L100's out for my son who is visiting , we are going to transport to his home in Chicago. I wired them up and tested to make sure they are still functioning. They sounded better than I had recalled , but would be a tossup in comparison with the ESS's , which have a smoother top end. That AMT Heil mid/tweet is a sweet driver.

Taking along a pair of foams and glue to re-foam his L56's so he can resell them. Even when perfect, they didn't have the bass response that he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I just got the old L100's out for my son who is visiting , we are going to transport to his home in Chicago. I wired them up and tested to make sure they are still functioning. They sounded better than I had recalled
    Up in Chicago, got son's L56's refoamed. They still sound like L-56's. .....we dragged the L100's cross country and hooked them up at his place. Despite all the knocks that they get (including from me) , they MAY be fake, but they ARE fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    got a pair of RS "Super Tweets" today ...almost new condition. Anybody have a good guess as to who made them ?
    My beloved Walsh F's have been down a bit on HF response. That is a symptom of their age (made somewhere between 1972-1978) ...anyway, I wired up the RS super tweets and vampired onto the F's , had bought them for resale, but the result was so nice that they'll stay right where they now are ..

snagged one of these today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orban-674A-S...-/170604626036

also another Advent 400 FM mono radio ..works great

and a Wi-Fi blu-ray player

and 3 rather rare-ish and hard to find LP's (Wanda Jackson , who my son saw in concert and really likes) , a Joe Cocker picture disk and a low prod D. Brubeck LP.

great ride today , over 20 lbs. bungied to the rear rack.

I got some "new" speakers for my livingroom last week
    Name:  IMG_2795.jpg
Views: 4891
Size:  98.1 KB
    I've always wanted to try these since I first listned to them 20 years ago...

Wow - they look great - please, tell us more!

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Dynaudio tweeter? Definitely not a Dynaudio woofer... I'm intrigued, yes, please do tell us more.

Widget

They are a pair of Jamo Oriel, Jamo's attempt into hiend spekaers in the mid 90s. You are right about the tweeter, it's Dynaudio (Esotar T-330D), the mid is Eton hexagon and woofers are a pair of Peerless 8" in a bandbass Box:

One word.

Sexy.

Thread Information