Page 27 of 63 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

sometimes when buying used electronics, I'm not sure how WIGGY they will turn out to be when they get home... I now have a solution

a WIGGY meter ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    got a pair of RS "Super Tweets" today ...almost new condition. Anybody have a good guess as to who made them ?

Most likely FOSTER ( Japanese ).

Foster also ended up making the Fostex line of components .

The connection/lineage is pretty well established/described ( within the single driver crowd ) .

got a pair of RS "Super Tweets" today ...almost new condition. Anybody have a good guess as to who made them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Most likely FOSTER ( Japanese ).

Foster also ended up making the Fostex line of components .

The connection/lineage is pretty well established/described ( within the single driver crowd ) .

They certainly look like a pair of Fostex super tweeters, but then I remember a ribbon tweeter RS sold that looked exactly like the JVC ribbon tweeter except that it had made in Taiwan printed on the magnet where it should have had the JVC part number... they looked great! They didn't sound the same as the JVC though!

Widget

new MP3 player

picked up this guy today, along with factory box & packings..

FF & REW work fine , PLAY .... ? (suspect belt problem) ..heads looks good as does walnut , lights and face ..little signs of use.

anybody need a 3 motor , crossfield heads Tandberg 9000x ?

today I picked up a "Joe Meek" VC1Q , without really knowing exactly what it was ... great condition. Made by FLETCHER ElectroAcoustics..UK

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug0...es/joemeek.htm

even has a sticker that it has been optimized by audioupgrades.com
    115 & 230 50/60

powers up ...not sure what to do with it...anybody need one at less than going rate ?

went on safari today looking for stereo gear and all I got was this crummy old foreign watch ... , but it was cheap and works perfectly.

went on safari today looking for stereo gear and all I got was this crummy old foreign watch ... , but it was cheap and works perfectly.
    Looks like the version that came in the launch kit for the original BMW diesel in the U.S., the 524td. The outside of the box said "The only diesel that won't be embarrassed by this . . . " Open the box and there was a blue Heuer stopwatch. Doesn't have a BMW emblem on the back, does it?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Doesn't have a BMW emblem on the back, does it?
    nope, wish it did ...can't figure out the red/green areas of the minute recorder dial ?

Rotel, Mourdant-Short, Linn Craig's List purchase

I was browsing CL today and came upon an interesting ad for a Rotel integrated, tuner, tape deck, Mordaunt-Short speakers, Denon CD carousel, Adcom speaker switch, and a Linn Basik TT. Guy was asking $250 which I figured was reasonable . . . if one wanted such stuff. I asked for more pictures and told him I only had $151 in my pockets and would be busy the rest of the week. He replied that he was moving in five days and would take $150 if I could do it today.

I hopped in the car figuring "what the heck". He was a very nice man and the original owner. The Rotel stuff is in great condition: R-840BX4 amp, RT-850A tuner, RD-855 deck. Speakers are MS 3.10 with matching original stands. Denon is DCM420. TT is Linn Basik with Linn Akito arm and Linn K5 cart in great condition but no dust cover. Adcom GFS-6 looks new. When I asked he found a bag in the basement with the Denon remote, the tuner AM antenna, a Terk coax, and some huge speaker cables with the two leads separated with a continuous web like an FM dipole wire with molded banana ends.

I'm putting it all together to see what I've got and will probably gift the electronics to my daughter in NYC who just told me her computer speakers crapped out (again—cheap Altecs with subs seem to last about five years). I'm not a vinyl guy and already have to TTs I hardly ever use but I noticed just the arm on this thing seems to bring $250-$500 on the Bay.

Photos later if I get around to it. I'm a little crowded in the living room right now.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Very nice deal

It's an okay deal. With a bit more time I realize the cartridge needs a new stylus (or the arm needs a new cart, more likely), the cassette deck has a tape stuck, won't eject, and makes odd noises like broken belts. Didn't really care about the deck but the amp was giving me fits and I took it apart expecting to find blown caps only to realize the tone defeat switch and the function switch were both dirty causing channel drop-outs and distortion. I think I've got that one handled. The little speakers really sing once mounted to their stands Really an integral part with four screws for each, recesses in the boxes that align with the stands, and three legs with spikes. Floor speakers they are not!

Oh well.

I was only really considering the MS pair and the turntable, but a new cartridge required
    does kind of suck the wind out of the "great deal" category. Hope the switch cleaning
    holds up on the Rotel for awhile.

I shot the small amount of Deoxit I had left which wasn't enough. Couldn't score any more in town today, so I used some Wurth product from work: "Contact Ol" oxidation remover, and it really did the job! No drop-outs or ugly noises now.

Figured out how to hold my tongue just right to get the Linn K5 stylus out of the cart body and yes, the stylus shaft is f'd up. Don't see any replacement stylus for that model, but I'm open to any suggestions that would keep this thing out of the landfill.

Also figured out that the funky flat speaker wire was designed that way so it would fit up the hole in the stand with the fixed bananas in place. They come up from the bottom and exit under the speakers through an opening and connect to the input cups. A fairly elegant design though the stands seem to be made of some recycled bottle material with spikes in the legs. I must admit, listening to the local NPR Jazz show, that they sound quite nice.

Here are the little MS 3.10 boxes from a Google image:

Name:  46978-0_5.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  119.1 KB

and this is what the stands look like:

Name:  _wsb_100x241_MS3_20_01.PNG
Views: 879
Size:  62.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Oh well.

I was only really considering the MS pair and the turntable, but a new cartridge required
    does kind of suck the wind out of the "great deal" category. Hope the switch cleaning
    holds up on the Rotel for awhile.
    A Linn Forum has recommended the AT 95E as an essentially similar replacement for the K5. It seems Linn had their's made by AT and though just the stylus will fit, supposedly, the entire replacement cartridge is available for only $49. Seems to make sense, at least as a starter.

went into SalvArmy today , half price sale. usually not much of interest , but today they had this Technics "new class A" integrated amp ...rather heavy , so flipped it around , draws 355W, so I figured that it must be a bit over 100 wpc (actually 130) ,,,nice shape ..everything seemed to function .

Bungied the nearly 22 pounds of electronics + 18 LP's to the bike and hoped for the best. Guess what ? it actually works , can find NO problems ,,its Dolby surround, but I'll just use it in 2channel with the PC. Its got a light on that doesn't show in pic ..says "FET direct coupling"

Been listening for abt an hour with headphones ...pretty detailed , lots of power . Heat sink fan hasn't come on yet. 50 cents more than lunch was ..and I eat cheap

(pic from the web)

Thread Information