Page 26 of 63 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

took a ride 2day

all for less than lunch

the sound guard fluid is gone, but I wouldn't use it anyway, but the brush's ..yes
    the stylus brush/inspection mirror is nice.

I had a DH101 in the past and liked it, but it had some shortcomings and looks as if the 110
    corrects some of those.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Super Nice score I gotta keep an eye for a set myself.
    I got my TT almost ready to go, just have to figure out how to tune the stylus/arm as it skids across the record when lowered.
    Just Play Music.

I think I have the tuner that goes with that... DH-330 stashed away somewhere.
    was a good bang for the buck series (also available as mostly assembled kits),
    that included the DH-220 amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    I got my TT almost ready to go, just have to figure out how to tune the stylus/arm as it skids across the record when lowered.
    grab the arm and hold level , turn the counter balance weight until the arm floats at the level position, then zero out the gram weight ring (not the weight itself) ...now its set at zero ....then rotate weight (the scale will move along with it) and start at about 1.5 grams ,
    (or lookup the suggested setting and use that) ...now set the antiskate to zero and give it a try...

if it still skates, dial in a little more until it stops ,,,sometimes a little more VTF (tracking force is needed , but I try to set it as low as it will still track OK)

also check to see if there is a stylus in the cartridge (and the tip is still there)

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I think I have the tuner that goes with that... DH-330 stashed away somewhere.
    was a good bang for the buck series (also available as mostly assembled kits),
    that included the DH-220 amp.
    yeah, the Hafler stuff is similar to Adcom (reasonably priced, decent quality) ..have heard this has a nice phono section ( 2 tt inputs) and there was an optional MC module that could be added.

I have a 3rd living room system consisting of 18TI's & PS100 sub run by a Denon DRA-775RD (85wpc) with a Sony ES CD deck and MD.

been happy with the 18TI's that I got from CLMRT ... last night I grabbed the Haf 110 and wired it into the PRE inputs on the Denon ....lots of grungy noise that the gain control didn't control ...I hit the "tone" button and it disappeared , but then there was no bass or treble response from their knobs.
    Sure..noisy switch. turned off power and worked the tone switch in and out abt 20 times and gave another try ...JOY grunge was gone and B&T now worked.

Ran the CD of "Ray Sings, Basie Swings" ....wow the Haf has a lot of potential ...very smooth and dynamic with good detail. Had trouble pulling myself away ....Its mebbe a keeper after I clean all the switches ...

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    grab the arm and hold level , turn the counter balance weight until the arm floats at the level position, then zero out the gram weight ring (not the weight itself) ...now its set at zero ....then rotate weight (the scale will move along with it) and start at about 1.5 grams ,
    (or lookup the suggested setting and use that) ...now set the antiskate to zero and give it a try...

if it still skates, dial in a little more until it stops ,,,sometimes a little more VTF (tracking force is needed , but I try to set it as low as it will still track OK)

also check to see if there is a stylus in the cartridge (and the tip is still there)
    Thanks for the tip Seawolf, I'll give it a try This is all very new to me, these fancy arms & weights.
    Just Play Music.

I see test LP's all the time in consignment shops and they work real well to calibrate a turntable. The instruction audio are on the LP. All for a $ or 3.

Nice find Seawolf!
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

picked up another DVD player today , didn't need it , but was intrigued by the notation on the unit .... with the thought that it may make a good audio source in a 2 channel system.

thots ?

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    192 kHz/24-bit
    Same description for the H/K DVD-22 I bought new from the Harman Ebay store for $32 with Wolfson DACs five years ago.

Audiophile-grade 24-bit/192 kHz Wolfson digital-to-analog converters ensure the highest possible fidelity and resolution
    It is, in fact, my favorite transport for playing CDs and is the equal on its own to most anything else I play through my Musical Fidelity V-DAC. I liked it enough to replace a blown cap in it that kept it from powering up. Been working flawlessly the past four years.

What brand did you find?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    It is, in fact, my favorite transport for playing CDs and is the equal on its own to most anything else I play through my Musical Fidelity V-DAC. I liked it enough to replace a blown cap in it that kept it from powering up. Been working flawlessly the past four years.

What brand did you find?
    Panasonic .. also thot the 200x search was cool. It had a THX-DVD in it when I powered up to test.

will wire it in to the Hafler pre today and see if I wasted $ or not.

LATER: I wired it up , really sounds as good or mebbe better than the ES player already in the system ... cannot find any reference to which DAC it is ... but did find this

"Audio CD Reproduction. For music reproduction, we tried both the stereo analog connection and the optical digital audio connection to our receiver, and with both types of connections the sound was really good. The sound has good tonal qualities and is well-balanced with deep bass extension. Imaging is good. Overall, I was quite pleased with the audio quality . It serves well as a single-disc CD player."

looks like it was abt a hunnert new ...used ? my lunch cost more ...new

biked down to the run & grab salvage store thats so much fun ...light drizzle and had a flat on the outbound leg. Almost turned around to go home, but persevered. Walked straight in to a pair of NHT model 1's ... the teak veneer is buggered a bit, grabbed them for only a bit more than my Taco Bell lunch cost.

bought a pair of cloth shopping bags and set them to each side of my rear rack...they are heavy enough to affect the bike's steering. ...anyway, they look like fun ...NHT says this

"NHT’s first loudspeaker design. The Model 1 incorporated NHT’s proprietary Focused Image Geometry technology (F.I.G.) featuring a unique 21-degree baffle. This design improved imaging and detail, creating a wide sweet spot. The Model 1 was the foundation for a series of stereo speaker systems developed between 1986 and 1994."

also snagged a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40fs headphones that don't sound half bad ,,
    and a Supremes Lp that had never seen b4.

80sKid
    Those NHTs are a great score. Once they're refoamed, you'll hear some wonderful sounds. Just make sure that you switch the two speakers to the opposite sides of what you show in the picture. NHTs early speakers were designed so that while the rear baffle is parallel to the wall behind them, the front baffle is aimed in at the listener. Of course that angle of the front baffle is based on a presumption of how far away your listening position will be. So you have to either be willing to adjust your chair or tweak the angle of the speakers. I look forward to hearing what you think of them. I still have a pair of their SuperZero, which was one of the best small speakers ever made by any brand, in any decade (and so popular that the company has revived the model, with a slightly modified design).

Quote Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
    I look forward to hearing what you think of them. I still have a pair of their SuperZero, which was one of the best small speakers ever made by any brand, in any decade (and so popular that the company has revived the model, with a slightly modified design).
    Finally got around to hooking them up ....they've got some real potential.
    I'm out of 6.5's foams right now (have a batch of those & 8's on the way from VN right now) , so I laid them on their backs, shooting up..
    in the setup where the 18Ti's are and gave them moderate power , can see what the fuss is about ....the house is saturated with speakers right now , so may use these for surrounds in place of the ADS L300's

picked up an AudioControl D-11 today ..looks like this stock pic ,,,not much info on the web ...it'll be fun to play around wif ..

got a pair of RS "Super Tweets" today ...almost new condition. Anybody have a good guess as to who made them ?

Thread Information