Page 25 of 63 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Quote Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
    Cypress Lightning 521 center

That sounds interesting.... When I just did a web search I got zippo. I'm very curious about this unit. Could you post some pics?
    OK,, here's the pics ...it's only 11 inches wide , but 4 pounds ...havn't had time to test yet.

also today, picked up a Pioneer SX-1010 ....here are pics of what it will look like when I'm done ....sucker is 50 pounds and really not bad shape as purchased , rounding on the rear wood corners, needs some lights of course ...
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    OK,, here's the pics ...it's only 11 inches wide , but 4 pounds ...havn't had time to test yet.

also today, picked up a Pioneer SX-1010 ....here are pics of what it will look like when I'm done ....sucker is 50 pounds and really not bad shape as purchased , rounding on the rear wood corners, needs some lights of course ...
    Ooh, I'm not a fan of the Pioneer series but that's the exception - really like those SX-1010 s. Great tuner and nice warm sound unlike most Pioneers. Makes me wonder if they are re-badged Sansuis.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

80sKid
    Well that Cypress speaker is interesting.... It could very well be a no-name, no quality brand and not be worth your time. And that's what these folks in these old forum discussions think....

http://tinyurl.com/d8o89v6
    http://tinyurl.com/cmlr2vg

Both threads make reference to cypressaudio.com, but the URL is dead.

There are actually a number of legit, regional speaker makers around the country, that don't get national notice. They custom make speakers and don't market themselves at all, just rely on their small dealer network to bring them sales. One such example is in my area of central Connecticut, and they are called Source Technologies. They make very high quality speakers, that rival some of the best known brands, yet very few people outside of New England have heard of them.

However, whereas Source speakers are hand made in America, those Cypress speakers say Malaysia. To me that increases the chances that they're just a cheapo brand with any old brand name thrown on them.

But of course what ultimately matter is whether or not they (or "it") sound any good. So I'll be curious to hear what you think when you hook it up.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Ooh, I'm not a fan of the Pioneer series but that's the exception - really like those SX-1010 s. Great tuner and nice warm sound unlike most Pioneers. Makes me wonder if they are re-badged Sansuis.
    I do like the late 70's wood sided , blue glow Pioneers ....have opened a few and their layouts and construction is way above what you expect in that price range.

Unlike that speaker, there is a lot of info on the SX-1010 ...it seems to be the model that started the Power Wars of that era ...some describe it as "tube sounding" and others say they prefer it to the higher end 1250 & 1980 ...I will find out..it was Pioneers top at the time it was made....seems fully operational , I hooked it up to some cheapo speakers in the store (while it was balanced on top of a TV), and that setup even sounded good ....it was pulling FM stereo like crazy , even with no antenna.

think it came out to abt a quarter a pound (it was half price day and the thrift didn't know what they had , and were prolly sore from carrying it)

re-badged Sansuis ????

funny, since most Sansui's don't soound good to me, BUT the exceptions (to me) were the 8080 & 9090db , both of which were fantastic and we joked must be "re-badged Pioneers"

I hooked it up to some cheapo speakers in the store (while it was balanced on top of a TV), and that setup even sounded good ....it was pulling FM stereo like crazy , even with no antenna.
    Yep, I was definitely impressed by the really great tuner (and the warm Sansui-like sound) on the SX-1010 that I had.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Series 3

We stood before them and began to freeze inside from the exertion. We questioned the speakers, berated it, made love to it, prayed to it: We called it mother, called it whore and slut, called it our beloved, called it BOSE

won't be around long, nice shape but going to sell needing all refoams ...

Did they come with the Series 3 equalizer? I'd love to hear a pair of properly set up Series 3 or 4 901s.

Give us a report when they are done... they do require a big amp.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Did they come with the Series 3 equalizer? I'd love to hear a pair of properly set up Series 3 or 4 901s.

Give us a report when they are done... they do require a big amp.

Widget
    I have no interest in refoaming 18 drivers, but have friends who are always looking for BOSE ....victims of advertising. (for some unknown reason, many of the Asians that I know think B's are the bees knees and most likely they will get shipped over there where some drone can refoam them on a street corner) .... the operational pair that I've heard in the past were NOT impressive.

no EQ ..had one last year but it went out the door. Understand regular EQ will do just fine, except you have to do more than just push a button.

Cabinetry seems nice tho ...

l sold Bose at Circuit city from appro 90-93. we had 901's on display (I think series VI) and never sold a pair without help from Bose, as we could never get them to sound good in our small soundroom filled with other speakers. The only time we sold a pair was when the Bose Truck came, which had a room built specifically for them. When they stopped doing the truck tour, they sold me their DBX power amplifier, which still sounds great on my Dad's 250Ti's
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    they sold me their DBX power amplifier, which still sounds great on my Dad's 250Ti's
    saw a big BOSE power amp ..with 3 inch white lighted logo lettering that doubled as a touch sensitive power switch ...sounded nice , was later told that they were made by BGW.

amazing how the general public equates BOSE with high quality.

I was born in 1970 and grew up in a small town, so I missed most of the 70's Hifi scene, but Bose did make an effort at high end separates (1801 amplifier?). My dad had his S7's run by heathkit, later upgraded to a pair of Kenwood L-05M monoblock amplifiers and their matching preamplifier, which he still has somewhere. Our neighbor had a pair of Klipsch LaScalas that he ran with a Nakamichi stack which I don't really remember, except that the components were really tall and shallow (It was a 2 pillar rack, not the 4 pillar racks we're used to). The components might have been angled back, but my memory is really vague on that one...
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/ele/3481713935.html

This is a real Miscellaneous speaker. I have not seen this configuration before.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/ele/3481713935.html

This is a real Miscellaneous speaker. I have not seen this configuration before.
    getting the grilles on must be tough ?

(pic from ad - for posterity)

For the life of me I do not understand why these have not sold yet!
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

"speaker placement is critical", no wonder mine never sound right

Thread Information