Page 18 of 63 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    I bet those sound really nice.

I have a pair of aDs 710s with those same wonderful mids and tweeters.

They sit out of the rotation, but I swapped them into the bedroom system a couple of weeks ago while I had to put new foam on the JBL 4425 monitors.

I was very happy with the 710s, using with a Manley tube amp and Cambridge Audio 640p phone amp. Wonderful sounding mids and HF's.
    YES..between cast drivers , German walnut cabinets , bi-ampability , (even a hidden compartment for the elusive Energiser ) they are clear and very detailed and musical...a nice quality speaker...I walked into a thrift and saw them as I was crossing the doorway.. ...couldnt check them out in store as there is a hidden screw down panel hiding the binding posts, so bought them on faith....worked out well...
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

biking around today and found this pair of AR90's at GW...electric guy assured me that the hf & mf's are OK...but the front 8 and the 2 side firing 10's all need refoaming....the veneer was fantastic,,grills not too bad ....downloaded the manual..AR claims a FR of 23hz to 30khz..101 pounds not bad .(no, didnt bungie them to the bike, had to make a return trip with the truck...GW drone & I had trouble lifting them to the truck)
    we'll see.

LATER;SUNDAY ...got up and put low signal to them briefly , hf and mf very clear and good condition....

.HiFi engine says http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/ac...ch/ar-90.shtml

"The Acoustic Research AR-90 are very high precision devices, designed and built to tolerances comparable only to professional studio microphones. They far exceed the performance capabilities of the classic laboratory reference standard and AR LSTs.
    All of the modern technology in speaker design, as well as the most sophisticated of computer techniques, were used, not only in the development, but continually throughout their design and manufacture.
    The three most distinctive applications of this technology in the AR-90s are the Acoustic Blanket, the vertical, upper-range driver array, and the positioning of the two woofers, one on each side of the enclosure.
    The former two insuring unprecedented imaging and precision of localization and the latter unequalled flat frequency response in any listening environment, particularly at lowest music frequencies.
    Indeed, the clarity of the AR-90s will make you aware of limitations in associated equipment, including the finest electronics. As a result, any improvements in the chain preceding the AR-90 will seem to continually improve the overall performance."
    Attached Images Attached Images   

AR90's

well, I finished them up and could only get 10 minutes listening in....but they are
    very nice.....extended highs and powerful bass.

similar to the departed L7's....as least with the limited listening so far..

on the very last screw of the last driver to be installed , the powerdriver slipped and poked
    a hole in the foam of the 8 ...first time I've ever done that, prolly because they are so heavy to
    lay on their backs to work on ....installing drivers vertically is a bitch... (last time I'll ever do that)

so 1 eight to re-refoam .....and I'm very critical of my own work, and there is 1 ten incher that
    works fine, but I wasn’t happy with the appearance of the refoam, so I'll redo that also.

they are nice enough to make sure they are done right, even if I'm the only one who knows what isn't 100% perfect.

got to wondering about the surface area comparison of the 14 on the 250ti's and the 2 tens of the AR's.

according to my HS math

a 14 is abt 154 sqin.
    2 tens are abt 157 sqin
    a 12 is abt 113

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    on the very last screw of the last driver to be installed , the powerdriver slipped and poked
    a hole in the foam of the 8 ...
    Been there, done that ...and I didn't have the excuse of installing the driver vertically.

Those look well worth the effort, and lots of fun listening ahead.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Been there, done that ...and I didn't have the excuse of installing the driver vertically.

Those look well worth the effort, and lots of fun listening ahead.
    thanx...glad I'm not the only one.....a dumb rookie mistake and I've done so many that its nearly inexcusable......that new glue was great stuff, very difficult to remove, guess I paid my penance for stupid damages. The 8 is out for re-re-foaming right now.

I had them up and going at good volume yesterday and was blown away ....the highs and mids are really nice , and the bass sounds like a much bigger box...the walnut veneer is furniture grade , oiled them up...Oh My !!! If my Denon AVR is 4 ohm compatible, these may displace the a/d/s L1290's

One of my rehabbing friends sent me an email saying
    "Those are in my top 5 wants of ANY audio gear.......if you sell them let me know."

My AR experience goes back to AR3's, 3A's, 4's, 4x's and PS 428 towers in the HT ......these certainly are a different animal......since they are a little earlier, they seem like an inspiration for JBL L7's ...ie: 4 way , hf, mf, 8 in lm on the front and side firing woofers , very close in physical size.

If the L7's looked like this , wud still have them

what most 250ti owners are looking for......18ti's

BUT ...

only 1 logo , 1 rat shack woofer , no grills , 1 dented 044ti , 1 frayed screen etc..etc

BUT

they sound very nice....I think that a nice non-donor pair should now be on my radar..

Very nice AR's!

This 250Ti owner eventually discovered that the 120Ti is a better "spare" to have in the house because you get a set of 104H's in the deal too. Plus they seem to be more common and a bit underpriced at the moment. Not to mention that they have bass the 18 can only dream of .

YMMV...but I'd encourage any 250Ti owner wanting to have spares in the house to find a nice pair of 120Ti while they are still cheap...

jblnut

4406 + OEM stands

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    4406 + OEM stands
    Nice looking speakers and stands. Interesting -- OEM ... as in, JBL sold those stands?

I ran across and rescued a pair of JBL L-46s. one bent back corner, small scratches but they sound good, and do produce a lot of in your face fun for such small boxes.

Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Nice looking speakers and stands. Interesting -- OEM ... as in, JBL sold those stands?
    I think they were designed for the Decade/Century series. There are a couple of threads about them , slightly low for my needs.

You remember those AR90's from a bit back ?? they are in the BR/HT and being placed on both sides of the bed kinda muffled them....Recalled that I have 2 super valuable BIC passive subs...that now lay on their sides, raising the AR's about 16 inches , sounds really fine now...best function those subs ever performed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Ding View Post
    I have a JBL brochure that shows two bases. The nature walnut wood one appears the JBL emblem is painted on in black, but it could be
    Bill
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Speaker-stands

Speaker Safari 2010 (revised)

new motto...."Let them come to Me" ....

retailers sticker on rear: Graham Electronics 2/75

A compact 2 way speaker system.
    A cabinet is a natural oak and, in a grill, a color becomes a brown by fabric finish.

As for a unit, a Woofer adopts a 1.1kg Alnico V magnet with 20cm aperture with 2 way stream compositions, and a tweeter is a 3.6cm cone type which carries a 15,000 gauss magnetic circuit.

LATER: hooked these up and played at dinner...very nice

not really speakers, but....

Stopped at GW on the way home from the VA...one of my buds was hot to show me what he'd pulled off the tables...I was impressed and told him if he changes his mind that I'd be happy to take it ...he came by later on and said...It's yours. Cashier called price check and the asst. ran his finger under the cart and noted that the stylus was bent ,,so .....$5

using the Wiki guide ,,,looks like it was produced in June of either '81,'91,'01 or '11 ..it weighs 28 pounds.

Powered up at home..speeds are right on....

nice grab. I've got the dark gray version that rotates vinyl well enough... pretty sure you
    can get parts if you need them (e.g., dust cover, pop-up light, arm bearings, 45rpm puck etc...).

I hope this isnt the start of THE SLIPPERY SLOPE

AudioQuest Interconnects..

My system sounds better since buying them, and I havnt even installed 'em yet....

Thread Information