Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    ...found a pair of L-26's with grills/badges ..needing refoam...no price so i asked an employee.....he carried one to the backroom and reappeared a moment later ...... $5/pr , but hold on ...half price time so $2.50/pr ... Did I want them ?
    LATER: put signal to them..all drivers work, binding posts good, all grill posts there, grills look great (washed them in the shower) and NO plant stains on top
    Oh yeah...the store employee told me they were only $5 because of the obvious woofer damage
    finished up the L26's (but the pic reminds me that I wanted to repaint the baffles) ....hooked them up and listened to "461 Ocean Blvd" remastered and extended...dont know if I got an especially good pair or what ...but they were fun & very musical , wonderful imaging-even sitting side by side....they and L166's are my favorite JBL consumer bookshelves....(& L88's)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

...but they were fun & very musical , wonderful imaging-even sitting side by side....
    Reminds me I have a pair I paid $26 for off Ebay(!) that a friend picked up and brought to me from South Carolina. They've been sitting in storage ever since though the surrounds looked good and everything was working. Now you've got me excited to pull them out and return them to top shape.

So many speakers, so little time. I guess I need to retire!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Reminds me I have a pair I paid $26 for off Ebay(!) that a friend picked up and brought to me from South Carolina. They've been sitting in storage ever since though the surrounds looked good and everything was working. Now you've got me excited to pull them out and return them to top shape.

So many speakers, so little time. I guess I need to retire!
    I like them MUCH more than the L80T's (or L40's or L56's or L86's or L100's and esp. L36's) .... come on now, I followed your lead on L7's...now you gotta try the L26's...the bass wont compete with your big ones, but I'll bet they image better.

.... come on now, I followed your lead on L7's...now you gotta try the L26's...
    I'd love to, but I actually went back to work after being jobless for six months and now I have no time. Of course in the snow I have time 'cause I can't work, but then I can't get to the storage building, either. Still have L150A and L112s waiting for re-surrounds, too.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I like them MUCH more than the L80T's (or L40's or L56's or L86's or L100's and esp. L36's) .... come on now, I followed your lead on L7's...now you gotta try the L26's...the bass wont compete with your big ones, but I'll bet they image better.
    Don't recall the L36s any more - kinda need a one to one test to be sure - but i have a pair of L26 I got last winter that needed surrounds - we've got them set up in the basement near the treadmill and my workbench - but i brought them upstairs into the living room when I demoed the 6230 and 6260 amps a few weeks back (didn't want to show off the big walnut to potential buyers). Those L26s impressed both the buyer and me - don't think I'd been hitting them with that kind of power before. I think they had a lot to do with his decision to buy BOTH amps!
    But they're back in the basement now and the L200plus-3ways are back in place.

And I've been playing with a squeezebox Classic system in the living room, but I think I'll ship it back for the refund next week.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

...the bass wont compete with your big ones, but I'll bet they image better.
    Funny you should say that. Right now I'm listening to an odd recording; Marian McPartland's "Piano Jazz" radio-show recording of her interview—and playing—with Steely Dan. When Donald, Walter, and Marian are all talking there's a very distinct sound stage occupied by three people in three separate-but-together positions: Marian in the middle, Walter to the left of her, and Donald just to the right but all within about a five-foot-wide space. Eerie. That's with the big boxes nine-feet apart, toed-in slightly, and me sitting eight-and-a-half feet from each of them.

But as Greg said, "no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Those L26s impressed both the buyer and me - don't think I'd been hitting them with that kind of power before.
    I've got the L26's on my demo setup....a Denon receiver @90wpc ....they are very happy with that power...I've had 4 or 5 L26 sets over the years and liked every one...

On the PC playback...I have 2 desks butted together in an "L" ..very efficient to work at the oak roll top and then swivel 90 degrees to the big custom oak drafting desk with the 'puter....each desk has an L26 in the footwell, then 2 two way Sonances' (8 in. 2 ways) on ceiling mounts for image..they are run by a Technics receiver under the monitor ...it really does sound quite nice..

Above the roll top is shelves with all the HT components and MD deck running off to the L7's , a/d/s's, JBL sub...there is a turntable attached to each system (besides the 3 in the LR)
    When just needing small sound from TV..its audio is handled by an Altec sat/sub system.

I need a bigger house , too many speakers and I hate to sell the good ones.

got to digging around BR3 (aka:the speaker graveyard) and found this pair that have never been hooked to signal ...no name ....I think the drivers are SEAS ? sound great , prolly better than the similar L86's...anybody know what they are ?

I believe those are made by "fanfare accoustics"

Quote Originally Posted by wd4090 View Post
    I believe those are made by "fanfare accoustics"
    found this thread and dont think they are fanfare accoustics
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28495

but it looks like the LF is SEAS
    http://www.seas.no/images/stories/vi...282_p21rex.pdf

had never noticed on the real thing...but saw in the label pix....faintly in
    large letters "SEAS"

cant find anything on the MF

JBL's are getting harder to find....settled for some OK Advents....the GW cashier called a "price check" on them, the EXPERT supervisor came over and pronounced the "woofers are BLOWN" , so $5....

the roads in Portland are getting more bike friendly..there are dedicated bike lanes everywhere and bike only paths and green boxes at some intersections...even some bike corrals downtown..
    One of the city transportation planners let on that the goal is to have more than half of all transportation via bike by 2020.

That said..it can still be dangerous out there.... We still get 1 or 2 killed a year...most have been hit and run and it is thot to be the work of illegals with no license or insurance.
    Darned..I missed the annual blessing of the bikes yesterday

Following the speeches, Reverends Dennis Parker and Ken Arnold blessed the bicycles with a prayer and by placing a few drops of bike lube on their chains. The service ended with the ringing of bike bells.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting...ops_bicyc.html

it was at a small church downtown...but at least the newspaper reprinted the text, mebbe I'll print it out and tuck into the rack bag..

Leader: The Portland Bicycle Shrine was established as a place of prayer and memory in support of those in our community who travel by bicycle and in supplication for the safety of everyone on our streets. Named for the Madonna del Ghisallo in Italy, the Patron of Bicycles, our shrine is for everyone. All are welcome to come here to pray. We also welcome all who wish to dedicate a plaque in memory of loved ones who have died or give thanks for prayers fulfilled.

We will now bless the bicycles you have brought with you today, praying for your safety and joy as you ride.

Bicycles are blessed; bicycle bells are rung together at the end of the blessing.

Litany for Safe Journeys (All Standing)

Leader: May the spirit of the morning sun warm us

Response:

Protect us, Holy Spirit, breath of God, as we ride
    in joy and safety

May the spirit of the rains cleanse us

Protect us, Holy Spirit, comforter of souls, as we ride
    in joy and safety

May the spirit of the Douglas Firs enfold us

Protect us, Holy Spirit, sustainer of hope, as we ride
    in joy and safety

May the spirit of this ancient land uphold us

Protect us, Holy Spirit, fire of love, as we ride
    in joy and safety

May the rivers and valleys be our guide, and the mountains be our haven

Protect us, Holy Spirit, mother of our days, as we ride
    in joy and safety

May those who have died continue in our hearts

Protect us, Holy Spirit, bearer of peace, as we ride
    in joy and safety

Even the famous

Have not even dusted them yet.....sound fantastic - 2 eights, both active, I think- , beautiful veneer
    ( i'm a veneer junkie) .....they were set to bi-amp, but the wrong posts had been used, the correct ones were screwed down tight , the wrong ones were half way up ..
    So I had the L7's in the HomeTheatre -tho more for the attached turntable, dont really watch that many movies- and the computers are there too, so no need to go out to the living room to hear vinyl....

L7's went away...replaced them with the Yammy NS-690II's which were great in the LR,,but never sounded that nice in the HT environment ...bass shy ..dont know why.

Got energetic today and pulled the Yammys and substituted the A/D/S 1290's ...I felt bad abt storing and not using them- anyway,,WHAT A DIFFERENCE

WOW ...back to the sound the L7's were producing ...I dont really know why, but a Happy Camper am I... ....they really do deserve the rave reviews they garnered

I bet those sound really nice.

I have a pair of aDs 710s with those same wonderful mids and tweeters.

They sit out of the rotation, but I swapped them into the bedroom system a couple of weeks ago while I had to put new foam on the JBL 4425 monitors.

I was very happy with the 710s, using with a Manley tube amp and Cambridge Audio 640p phone amp. Wonderful sounding mids and HF's.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Thread Information