Page 16 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Who know what I did yesterday much less back then. at the time I hadn't bought these other amps and needed one for the sub???I don't remember..Still remmeber it being the loudest and bassiest of anyting I tried up to that point

when I got 2 identical amps and used a XO with passive bi amp capable I played with the which way to go on the bi amping. I think I may have heard a difference but it was so slight if I did.... I went with Rolf's thread and left 1 amp on each speaker instead of 1 amp for bass and 1 for the rest, I liked the logic of thread when I read it.

I must admit a lot of the nuances are wasted on me.

"I know what I like but I can't express it well. I can tell in just a few moments though if that is the sound I like" ...something like that
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Horse pucky (regarding Doc's concern)

The more shortcuts that were taken in the amp design, the more likely
    there might be audible effects. A well designed and operating dual-channel
    amp that is not over-driven should not have problems running separate audio
    bands in each channel.

Would one have the same concern running four mono amps?
    Is there end-user worry about the amps in a self-powered,
    bi-amped monitor?

Shorter speaker cables are generally a good thing.

I suppose uneven tube "wear" in a power output stage is possible and
    might be considered "bad" for the amp.

Hey, Grumpy,

Thanks for the clear and concise statement! "Horse pucky", just about says it all!! Well, heck, you never know, unless you ask, right?! I had heard that so many years ago, and had actually forgotten it, until this current conversation on amplifier usage popped up. Thanks for laying to rest that, apparently, "Old Wives Tale", Grump!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Philips 312 electronic...the included M95ED may be worth more than the TT ....sounds OK, 100% manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Morning, Seawolf,

We still use our Philips 312 TT, and with a Shure V15 Mark III, it sounds and works very well, indeed. Years ago, I gave a bit of thought to "updating" to a newer TT, but soon decided, why replace it when it works so well in our system?! Good find for you. I'm sure you can turn it and make a few bucks. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

the GFA 555 went one channel on me couple o months ago

finally had the motivation to pull the 18 screws and see what was going on...blown fuse. I think mebbe a loose banana was the culprit. replaced fuse and pulled the bananas and wired straight to the posts..
    thot I'd take a pic, in case anyone was nterested in whats in dere ..

each of the 4 cards has its own fuse...so the master/outside can be Okay, but still have problems with one of the internals

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    thot I'd take a pic, in case anyone was interested in whats in dere ..
    Thanks, Seawolf!
    There seems to be a huge variation in those early GFA-555 amps.
    I recently got one like this with the built in rackmounts ears and wide square handles.
    There is another style with round handles and built in rackmount ears,
    and another with fins on the upper front face, no handles and no rack mount holes.

I know there was a GFA-555- II that was different, but its the early ones seem to have a range of styles.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

snagged this JBL...(cheap) ...sounds OK for 1 inch speakers (and now my son will wash the dishes, since he can listen to his tunes)

snagged this JBL...(cheap) ...sounds OK for 1 inch speakers (and now my son will wash the dishes, since he can listen to his tunes)
    We've got that donut at our lake house...I keep wanting to hate it, but it does pretty well for its size.

je

finally had the motivation to pull the 18 screws and see what was going on...blown fuse. I think mebbe a loose banana was the culprit. replaced fuse and pulled the bananas and wired straight to the posts..
    thot I'd take a pic, in case anyone was nterested in whats in dere ..

each of the 4 cards has its own fuse...so the master/outside can be Okay, but still have problems with one of the internals
    I think fuses will just go due to age and heat. Here a year or so ago I had an internal fuse blow in my HK AVR-7200, the unit was completely dead. Pulled it out of the cabinet and took off the cover to check the fuses. I found the weak sister, replaced it and it has been working fine ever since.

The same thing happened to our HVAC system the first couple years we were in the new house. The repair man came out and found an open 5 amp fuse, replaced it and it has worked fine ever since. The outfit was going to charge me $90 for the service call. I have a Trane 10 year warranty on the system. I asked why it wasn't covered, they said it was an "act of God" or due to a power spike and they assumed it wasn't covered! They told me they hadn't even submitted it Trane, I told them to submit it, and let Trane make the call. I said the fuse failed and we don't have problems with the power spiking here, at least it is very rare. Trane covered it.

So I went back to the flea market and picked up the Definitive Technology LCR 2300 ....with a MSRP of $649 , it must be OK ...all drivers work..cast baskets...etc ..that 8 inch top sub gives an idea of the speaker size....

Then decided to hit the thrift since it is a half price weekend....found a pair of L-26's with grills/badges ..needing refoam...no price so i asked an employee.....he carried one to the backroom and reappeared a moment later ...... $5/pr , but hold on ...half price time so $2.50/pr ... Did I want them ?

Walked around a bit (approx. 3ns) and decided to gamble on 'em...

LATER: put signal to them..all drivers work, binding posts good, all grill posts there, grills look great (washed them in the shower) and NO plant stains on top

Oh yeah...the store employee told me they were only $5 because of the obvious woofer damage

So I went back to the ... thrift since it is a half price weekend....found a pair of L-26's (for) half price time so $2.50/pr ... Did I want them ?

Walked around a bit (approx. 3ns) and decided to gamble on 'em...
    Dood! You're a genius! This will be some fun. Those tweets look gorgeous...

Still, my favorite thread...

Well, I'll park this post here for lack of better place.

Was rearranging the audio hubris to gain room to add more ... found a vnice cond NAD CD player ...put power to it...looked and ran fine , went to plug in some rca's to test it ......and only 1 would go in...????

looked at the back ...PO had broken off the center shaft of the rca plug in the jack - flush- blocking entry. I tried to grab it with tools, but not enuff exposed to get a hold ...tried prying around it -no joy- ...pulled the case top and looked to push it from the back ...good idea, but no access ....so it sat for a week while I contemplated the next move..

tried superglue ..it just didnt have enuff area to glue to ...got to wondering what is the stickyest stuff that I can use ??? then a light came on ......went in and grabbed the soldering iron and heated just a drop and placed right on the exposed brass and let cool.

Piece-O-Cake !!! grabbed the ball of solder and the whole post slid out so nice ...

Well, I'll park this post here for lack of better place.

Was rearranging the audio hubris to gain room to add more ... found a vnice cond NAD CD player ...put power to it...looked and ran fine , went to plug in some rca's to test it ......and only 1 would go in...????

looked at the back ...PO had broken off the center shaft of the rca plug in the jack - flush- blocking entry. I tried to grab it with tools, but not enuff exposed to get a hold ...tried prying around it -no joy- ...pulled the case top and looked to push it from the back ...good idea, but no access ....so it sat for a week while I contemplated the next move..

tried superglue ..it just didnt have enuff area to glue to ...got to wondering what is the stickyest stuff that I can use ??? then a light came on ......went in and grabbed the soldering iron and heated just a drop and placed right on the exposed brass and let cool.

Piece-O-Cake !!! grabbed the ball of solder and the whole post slid out so nice ...
    Isn't wonderful when the light bulb comes on!

So, Tom, this CD player was something you already had and had forgotten about?

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by LRBacon View Post
    So, Tom, this CD player was something you already had and had forgotten about?
    Larry
    yup, just some CL fodder, that the prior owner had given up on..since he couldn't shove rca's in anymore....long forgotten in my stacks.
    I'm not a NAD fan, so wud never actually use it.

Thread Information