Page 15 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

was sitting in a thrift store going thru records yesterday (yeah, there is a first time for everything) and the donation guy went past with a dolly of speakers & receiver.....he noted to me in passing...."aint these beautiful ?"

I got him to stop long enough to check it out... ordinary Sansui speakers and a gorgeous Marantz model 22 receiver with teak case....they wont price it or bring out till Monday...

Is it worth pursuing ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Was on Safari too, last week

and scored twice – hope you don't mind Seawolf, maybe I'll start separate threads later. Got

- a pair empty Altec 879A cabinets with grilles/badges. No own pictures yet, but here are good ones

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picture...ntana_879a.htm

were local pick up only, 10min away from me. Won the boxes in decent shape for 3,50 and the grilles with Altec badges in a second ad some minutes later for 22,50 ... indeed nice sized project speakers at 3.5 cubic feet / +100 liters ... will look around for ideas how to add ports, or for a suitable closed box driver

- and a pair 4310's, both w/ 123A-1, LE5-2, LE20-1. Also local to me, walnut cabinets need a bit refinishing ... have a pair grilles in vgc left from my 4312 project, perfect fit ... sound is expected to be „fake but fun” and ... at 200 euros I just couldn't resist. White woofers in the house again, and I mean white, both pre-owners were non-smokers.

Exactly what I need now that the longer winter nights come along.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Fangio View Post
    and scored twice – hope you don't mind Seawolf, maybe I'll start separate threads later.
    nice ...no need for another thread, there is plenty of room here ('cides ...I have more going OUT the door than coming IN ..anymore)

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I found them to be better overall than the L1's ...YMMV

..('cides ...I have more going OUT the door than coming IN ..anymore)
    well, at least a little coming in......

gotta figure out how to pullout 033's ...now I have 2 dimpled drivers
    (and nowhere to store more speakers)

well, at least a little coming in......

gotta figure out how to pullout 033's ...now I have 2 dimpled drivers
    (and nowhere to store more speakers)
    Nice grab. I need those woofs, or I have those spare tweets...I'd have gone for them if they were local for sure.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Nice grab. I need those woofs, or I have those spare tweets...I'd have gone for them if they were local for sure.

je
    they took a 46 mile RT , but the price was good and the weather was nice.

I'll trade you my woofs for your tweets.....Uh.hold on...wait a minute..that aint gonna solve my problem..

think I'll make 1 good pair (2 good hf's) and 1 bargain pair (2 dimpled tweets) ..since both pairs are 40a's ..everything shud be interchangeable.
    (but..not identical...one grill frame set had foam mounted in a 3 side partial surround on the underside)

I stopped at big blue yesterday and ran into a friend who spends 6 hrs/day there waiting on the rolling bins....he was telling me abt this find ....

it gots quite a motor there

http://cgi.ebay.com/KS-MUSICMASTER-T...item2556e59e33

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-KS-MUSIC...item2556e5c786

Guess I never finished up the Adcom GFA555 story...

I had brought it back to life ...the external fuse was fine but 2 of the internal ones were blown - 1 per side (of 2 ) ....have since read that this is a fairly common problem.

Did not realize that power light staying ON, after the amp being turned OFF for a bit IS normal
    Must have been drunk when I tested it ...came back from repair estimate with NPF ..

So.... I have 2 full systems in my LR ...2 sets of first line speakers, 3 turntables, 2 subs..etc...

The 250ti's have an amp switch box so that they can be used with either system...#1 is a BGW 750D #2 system is a Denon RDA-775 receiver (85wpc) ..the receiver just doesnt have the oomph to do the JBL's any justice....

Got the Adcom back and had an idea ...put it under the Denon receiver and jumpered it to be a preamp ....so I gain remote capabilities...didnt have high expectations as all it gives me is tone & balance & volume...

Had some "me time" today....and got to test it..

The Adcom is one that they hired Nelson Pass to consult on and is rated at 200wpc...to shorten the story..I ran the 250ti's today LOUD on the Adcom/Denon combination and it was very very good ! (Much much better than directly off the Denon)

the GFA 555 usually sells for abt $300 and if you have 250ti's and are looking for an amp for it....you should give it some consideration

Tom,

To do this coreectly try a bridged gfa-555 on each speaker...been there, done that, it is was LOUD!
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Tom,

To do this correctly, try a bridged gfa-555 on each speaker...been there, done that, it is was LOUD!
    But - didja LIKE it??
    Did it sound Good to ya?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

serious respomse, not sure the xo were hooked up phased properly at the time, just remember LOUD!

I suppose sopmeday I could do it again, a little more trouble than it sounds w/the 2 different style connectors I am using w/the Perrreaux, the 2nd amp is upstails now, etc
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

serious response, not sure the xo were hooked up phased properly at the time, just remember LOUD!

I suppose someday I could do it again, a little more trouble than it sounds w/the 2 different style connectors I am using w/the Perrreaux, the 2nd amp is upstairs now, etc
    Ah, okay, keep thinking maybe the way to go is to use a pair of matched amps,
    tied to my biamp setup, set up side to side, like Rolf recommended.

Instead of a big amp to run Bass and a lower powered amp for the hi split,
    each amp would run bass on one channel, hi-split on the other - more headroom overall.

Maybe next year ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Tom,

To do this coreectly try a bridged gfa-555 on each speaker...been there, done that, it is was LOUD!
    I had done some archive reading and a person (you ? ) had done that and didnt think it was worth the effort.....they get louder than I need on a single 555 right now.

Evening, All,

I have what is probably a stupid question. I have always thought that amplifiers preferred to be bandwidth limited. "Back in the day", I was running bass on one side of my original Crown DC300, and the HF stuff from the other side. I was told, on a number of occasions, that this was not good for the amp, and that amps liked to either produce bass, or HF, but not both, one from each channel. Hummmm.... I know that amps can reproduce the full range of frequencies, but wonder if there is any problem with distortion levels when an amp is split between LF and HF? What say you, Folks? Thanks for educating me. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thread Information