Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    I really get a kick out of this thread. Its alot of fun. How many speakers have you gone through, and how many do you still have?
    Funny timing...I was thinking abt that question at like 3AM today.

Have prolly sold 30/40/50 pairs ...still abt 25 pairs being stored...20 total speakers up and active in the house right now.

I dont mind buying , restoring , getting some more experience with a brand and then moving them off to someone who will appreciate them also ...if I
    make a couple of bux in the process, then so much the better ..
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Funny timing...I was thinking abt that question at like 3AM today.

Have prolly sold 30/40/50 pairs ...still abt 25 pairs being stored...20 total speakers up and active in the house right now.

I dont mind buying , restoring , getting some more experience with a brand and then moving them off to someone who will appreciate them also ...if I
    make a couple of bux in the process, then so much the better ..
    Fantastic, keep us posted...

After a long dry spell..GW had some speakers today....not familiar with either model, but found some pics on the web....the first day out..the prices are high but they drop each day , so by Friday they may be OK

anyone know about either:

AR 98LS or
    Infinity WTLC ??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wtlc

I recall seeing those, but not hearing 'em... this was the best source I was able to find at the time:

http://www.davidsaudio.com/html/infinity_.html

Would be interesting if they were functional. The AR's ... not so much
    (in my personal eye)... that looks like teledyne-era stuff. Not terrible,
    they just don't float my boat (have heard them or units very much like them).

The higher end "Magic" AR's were altogether different, but I hate to think of what
    happened to all of that foam that was a major part of the design.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I recall seeing those, but not hearing 'em... this was the best source I was able to find at the time:.
    Thx Grumpy..

that link got me to a link to the WTLC owners manual...looking at them I didnt realize that there is a 2nd downfiring woofer....mebbe I'll give them a try if still there ..

....mebbe I'll give them a try if still there ..
    on the way back to the store ,I told the OL that the best thing for me wud be that someone already got them, but if there I'd buy them (just wasnt very impressed with the looks of the drivers) ...got back and they were gone...just didnt have storage room.

did get some small Advents , so I wudnt come home empty handed.

Funny part is that while i was looking at them, one of my eBay auctions finished -selling electronic turds- and that wud have paid for the speakers, and did a
    2nd chance offer and a second turd sold for a dollar less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MESOX:IT

Not actually a speaker (but that hasnt stopped me from going OT in my own thread b4) ...headed out to pickup a power-on challenged GFA-555 (the price is right) ....read that they are 200 wpc...otherwise know nothing abt them.

Anybody have advise -good or bad about this model ?

http://stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/678/ They liked it !! ( in 1985 )

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    http://stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/678/ They liked it !! ( in 1985 )
    yes, they DID like it , thanx for the link Mac

"The Adcom GFA-555 was a powerhouse. Output at clipping was 231.7W into 8 ohms (23.6dBW), increasing to 331.9W into 4 ohms "

hope its not too much work to get it back up & productive.

I use 1 bridged on my b460 and a 2nd is upstairs on a set of 120TIs with a lower end velodyne. I find them a good value watts/$ w /adequate sound

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

yes, they DID like it , thanx for the link Mac

"The Adcom GFA-555 was a powerhouse. Output at clipping was 231.7W into 8 ohms (23.6dBW), increasing to 331.9W into 4 ohms "

hope its not too much work to get it back up & productive.
    Interesting - apparently there are multiple versions of the GFA-555 floating around ... the original, and the GFA-555 MkII.

I see the for sale ads are in conflict tho, with verbiage like
    "GFA-555 - the original 200w/ch design, not the cheap assembly line versions of the MkII made later lah de dah ..."
    and
    "GFA-555 MkII - the same conservatively rated 200w/ch power of the early model, redesigned with significantly reduced distortion blah blah woof woof..."

The Stereophile review says the later one has more fins and a fan that only runs when temps exceed thresholds ... it never mentioned early design or anything about a mass produced later design ... so the sellers comments could be so much foul vapours ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Mr. Seawolf, One of these days I would like to go on safari with you. I am from New Orleans so if one of your deep jungle safaris has to deal with mosquitos I'm ready and I also have an interest in those elusive specimens you seem to be able to uncover..............all the best ...

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Interesting - apparently there are multiple versions of the GFA-555 floating around ... the original, and the GFA-555 MkII.

I see the for sale ads are in conflict tho, with verbiage like
    "GFA-555 - the original 200w/ch design, not the cheap assembly line versions of the MkII made later lah de dah ..."
    and
    "GFA-555 MkII - the same conservatively rated 200w/ch power of the early model, redesigned with significantly reduced distortion blah blah woof woof..."

The Stereophile review says the later one has more fins and a fan that only runs when temps exceed thresholds ... it never mentioned early design or anything about a mass produced later design ... so the sellers comments could be so much foul vapours ...
    its the mk 1 ...great cosmetic condition....doesnt power up..switch feels OK, will take over to Doug on Monday ...the seller/giver had been using it and 1 day didnt turn on ...ran an ad .."Amp for gratis" , to someone who can appreciate.

Will prolly refoam his KEFs as a return gesture....

one of our premier members (Hi Mac) sent me the schematics, but Doug is cheap and fast and has the tools , so I dont mind putting a little into repair.

Stopped at GW and a fellow was looking at those AR98ls's mentioned a couple of posts up ..we got talking and looks like I lined up a refoam job...he bought them.

Originally Posted by midlife
    Mr. Seawolf, One of these days I would like to go on safari with you. I am from New Orleans so if one of your deep jungle safaris has to deal with mosquitos I'm ready and I also have an interest in those elusive specimens you seem to be able to uncover..............all the best ...

come on up ....

I bird dog deals for my friend in Oz. and he finishes the deals and has them shipped to Sydney ....can resell half a shipment and he keeps the other half for free ....just a little sweat equity
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Just finished up a pair of Infinity Studio Monitors SM100 ..(bot last week)

cheap cabs, cheap drivers , they glued the plastic beauty ring onto the basket, no batting etc..etc ....but they sound OK

cudn't figure out why the speakers were so heavy as they are light stamped out baskets...then it was obvious ...baffle was 1 3/4 in thick MDF

I am guessing since it is Tues you have already taken he amp in but if you haven't ...Checked all fuses? there are some inside too. the switch does go bad on these and many people just use the surge protector for on off. the one on the b460 is on 24x7 no hot cold hot cold etc issue for it and no switch wearing out. The one upstairs is on a surge protector and is rarely used

I had one repaired after I tried to be spiffy working with it on and the leads were caught kissing for a few seconds before they let out 1 gasp of smoke. 200 to repair a 300 amp but it was my fault and has been working constantly for a year or so

Mark

Have you tried any Dalquist speakers yet?
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Thread Information