Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    didn't CC shoot themselves in both feet, losing a ton of bux on DIVX ??

DIVX was developed by Circuit City and launched in 1997 as an alternative to DVD. DIVX discs cost $5 each, but could only be played for 48 hours on proprietary set-top players before a continuation fee was required to continue viewing. The player was connected to a phone line to check whether the disc was still valid.[70] Opposition to the format and limited acceptance by the public led Circuit City to discontinue the format in 1999. Circuit City took a US$114 million loss to close its DIVX division.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_City

I remember seeing JBL L7's in their demo room, but randomly placed and not even hooked up ..like they did NOT want to sell them.
    In my defense, DIVX wasn’t my idea - I was just a lowly salesman. I left in 1995 or so after another round of commission cuts made it pretty much impossible to make over $28k/yr. The “Man on the street” opinion of DIVX seemed to be “I buy a movie, watch it, then throw it away? That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard”. They were right. CC also came up with CarMax, so not all of their ideas were bad

Even worse than your L7 comment - when I was in the Santa Barbara store, we had 250ti’s sitting on an endcap - not even in the demo room. In a sad way, CC was like Harman - Harman uses a few Halo products to add value to their brand, when they’re really just interested in selling OEM car audio and Bluetooth headphones. CC had a few good products, but was perfectly happy selling $799 Technics one piece rack systems all day long, as long as you sold an extended warranty with it.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Saw a local Craig's List ad over the weekend:

(2)JBL 1" Horns
    JBL 1 Horns in McCauley boxes, at one time these things were the sh*t and I think i paid 2 grand for them.
    Been using them for shelfs for years, moving and they gotta go..FREE

I responded in an email and got a reply that they'd already been promised to someone but, if it fell through, to leave a phone number. Today I was about to leave work and checked my messages, saw an unknown number and a voicemail. Caller said he was tired of waiting for the first responder and if I wanted them to they were sitting on his front porch and he gave me the address. A little chat brought forth that he had been running and installing sound systems in our town for nearly 50-years and even claimed to have taught friend of mine the art of sound reinforcement. He'd had a rough time recently with caring for parents who passed and he had just bought a house in Myrtle Beach and was leaving the area.

I really had no idea what I would be seeing but I drove over to a neighborhood he described as "crack alley" and saw them in front of his house. After I loaded them in my truck and was about to leave, he came out and we talked for quite some time. Interesting guy with quite a history of being asked to join Jerry Lee Lewis' band as a drummer at the age of 13, only to miss the opportunity when Lewis got sick before he could leave town with them. Or so he said.

So, here's what I got:
    (2) JBL 2461 compression drivers mounted to 2345 horns in plywood road cases with recessed twist latches designed to be tossed atop bass bins. The horns are seven serial numbers apart and the drivers are six. I'll check the DCR later, with no real expectation for them to be functional. Some pics later, too. (I'm working 11-days straight with no time off at the end of the month, as usual.) These are real road-warriors from the glory days of rock!

UPDATE: Pleasant surprise. DCR 10 and 9.5. At least not blown.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Saw a local Craig's List ad over the weekend:....
    you in "acquisition mode" again ?
    trying to fill new house ?

or just deals that are impossible to pass ?

I'd have taken 'em too, but nowhere to store anymore.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Magnavox

Thoughts Asking $95 expect to pay <$40

I'd have taken 'em too, but nowhere to store anymore.
    Hard to pass up free JBL Pro stuff. Even if only to do what I did with the sub cabs I stumbled on to . . . trade to someone here for something else I might like. Have yet to plug-in the Crown Studio Reference-II I got last time, but hope to.

Don't know if I'll ever need or try these but they should make someone part of a good SR system! Old school — big, sturdy, and heavy!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Drug (15 pounds ea.) these home yesterday.....B&O ...big amps
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Did they previously belong to Prince ?

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Did they previously belong to Prince ?
    factory color. Violet
    New metal frets were introduced at the end of 2001. From the previous replaceable cloth fronts, they are now manufactured in pearlescent aluminium

BeoLab 2500 Active Loudspeakers
    Manufactured: 1991 - 2004
    Designer: David Lewis

Accessories: Front cloth 6036 Black, Blue, Green, Silver, Red, Yellow
    Front cover 6039 Light Blue, Silver, Black, Russet, Violet

Power amplifier modules 2 units, Class AB
    Long-term maximum output power per module* 65 watts
    Effective Frequency range* 55 - 20,000 Hz
    Cabinet principle Bass Reflex
    Magnetic shielded No
    Woofer 11cm
    Tweeter 2.5 cm
    Net volume 2.8 litre

https://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=368

Interestimg if a little unusual . Probably sound OK+ , most B&O did.

I think what attracts people most to B&O is usually the originality design aspect, i.e. the differentiation of that compared to mainstream equipment. Their mentioning the name of the designer is kind of reinforcing the design importance. JBL has sometimes indicated the name of the Design Engineer in litterature but less so for a cab appearance designer.

Apart from color, can't say this speaker strikes me in comparison to various other B&O products released. On the other hand B&O is somewhat expensive here, could be marketed as a niche product? Wondering if folks can still do as good or better sound wise for less money, without having the design naturally.

Being a bass reflex system then the applicable rules are pretty clear: box size, LF extention and efficiency. Changing one of these comes at the expense of one or two others. My impression is that B&O sacrificed some efficiency here.

In view of the B&O's net box size and 55 hz bass claimed (if real like F3), then its likely efficiency is where the compromise was made. A 4.3" woofer would need a pretty large cone travel capability to even reproduce 55 hz bass with good output. This one can do it but at a reduced level, when full power is not used ("under normal listening levels.") Having the amp boosting bass at lower levels seems to be in accordance with the Fletcher-Munson ear sensitivity curves vs levels.

A quick backwards calculation from the stated max 65W/98 db SPL (pair) indicates to me the sensitivity would be around 80 db (pair). Seemingly low by today's standards, however high output wasn't the goal here, target was probably more along the lines of getting the small woofer to go deeper than it normally would. Doing that at lower efficiency is much easier than at high efficiency considering the small driver/cab involved. Bose has done it also with small 4.5" woofers, but with 8 or 8+1 of them with equalizer, leading to higher 91-92db sensitivity in models 802 and 901.

B&O's Adaptive Bass could be LF EQ modulated according to level, or some form of adaptive B6 type alignment?

Still an interesting find to bungie at the back or on top of the presidential limo...

Did you see the B&O announcement of around 95 refurbished 4000-series turntables being offered for $11k, each? Wonder how much they'll pay for the two I own?

https://www.engadget.com/bang-and-ol...Fxct7GTH842pe8

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Apart from color, can't say this speaker strikes me in comparison to various other B&O products released. On the other hand B&O is somewhat expensive here, could be marketed as a niche product? Wondering if folks can still do as good or better sound wise for less money, without having the design naturally.

Still an interesting find to bungie at the back or on top of the presidential limo...
    they seem to take proprietary plugs and some type of trigger. No real need for them, so may just flip. Here's some other B&O's hanging around with no real need.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Did you see the B&O announcement of around 95 refurbished 4000-series turntables being offered for $11k, each? Wonder how much they'll pay for the two I own?
    I did... a beautiful piece of industrial design. I’ve always loved it. I wish they were producing them again instead of merely refurbishing 95 existing units and charging a ton for them, but they are fairly easily sourced on the used market.

The Beogram 4000/4002, the Nakamichi 700 Tri Tracer, and the JBL Paragon are three magnificent examples of industrial design and interesting engineering. I would love to have all three in my personal museum along with a number of items from Dieter Rams at Braun.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The Beogram 4000/4002, the Nakamichi 700 Tri Tracer, and the JBL Paragon are three magnificent examples of industrial design and interesting engineering. I would love to have all three in my personal museum along with a number of items from Dieter Rams at Braun.

Widget
    I had a B&O 4004 , could never get that arm to behave, sold it to a guy who didn't care about that. His LR was Danish modern and it's looks blended in ... he didn't even spin records.

Also had a Nak 700. Acquired after cassettes were fading and I'd moved on to MD.

I had a B&O 4004...
    I’m gonna go out on a limb and say, I imagine the list of equipment that you have not owned is rather short.

Widget

Thread Information