Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Speaker Safari

needed more projects ..still have my head above water , so went on a speakers safari today....loaded the Toyo up to the gills with :

KEF Q-10's ...nice little English 6 inch coaxials

Lancer by Soundcraftsman pair ...dont know what is in them, but sound pretty good, just need wood cosmetics

Yamaha NS-690II's ....cast basket 12 inch 3 ways..was reading that these are essentially NS-1000's w/o the be tweeter. Need foam. looks like I'll have to trim the outer edge on the 12in foam to fit...sound good on their backs, firing up. Beautiful veneer.

Anyway...got away with $20 for the whole gaggle....more projects , need more projects.

Oh yeah..a single Pinnacle to match an orphan Pinnacle I already had...add $2

was picking up an setting Yams and seemed quite heavy...LF and MF's are both cast....speaker weight is 58 pounds
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Here is what the LF looks like on the Yamaha ..mid is cast also

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-NS-690II-...QQcmdZViewItem

Very transparent surrounds.

Gordon W might be able to help out.

Ian

I finished up the Yammy's and connected source.....My golly , they sound nice...kinda like an L100plus. Very , very foreward , must be from the west coast of Japan .

Everything construction-wise was first rate ( I hate working on cheap-a$$ Infinities- where nothing works right) ..These are easily the best Japanese speakers I've ever heard, wish I had them when living with Pioneer CS77a's for 20 years)

I looked them up on the web, and they are essentially the famous NS-1000 without the beryillium hf and mf...I cant really see why those wud be needed as the NS-690II does very well with paper ones.

The output sound is rated at 90db/1m at 1 watt input, and the frequency response is rated at 35 ~ 20,000 Hz.

If looking for something to compare to...kinda like the 4412's ...but MUCH more foreward ...not a studio monitor

On the weekly safari yesterday,,,among other things, i picked up this Pioneer TT. Its in great condition with a decent ADC cart and good stylus.
    If you look down at the lower base right , there is a remote sensor. Looked it up and this was a remote controlled TT.
    So a tt collector friend of mine was present when I grabbed it and immediately started bargaining. I reluctantly agreed to trade it for a pair of L26's. They do need surrounds, but not a bad day

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I reluctantly agreed to trade it for a pair of L26's. They do need surrounds, but not a bad day
    picked them up today...a project for sure...simple refoam job , fab some grills and work on veneer, but well worth my modest investment.

my other L26s have nasty spring loaded binding posts and these have JBL twist posts....later edition ?

Where on earth do you find all this stuff ?

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Where on earth do you find all this stuff ?
    thrift stores, garage sales , CL.trading with friends like everybody else, (yesterday I missed a single Conus speaker - made in Oregon, never seen anything like it - huge walnut tower with a curved slot port ($5) and a beautiful condition Marantz 2252 (also $5) - dont know yet if it worked.....my monster miss was last month three (3) Pioneer sx-1250's were in the thrifts at $5 ea. within 2 weeks.

finished up the refoam on the L26's ,upgraded the binding posts, painted the baffles , found compatible grills ( AR48b 10 in 3 way fit perfect) , working on veneer. Hooked them up and ran all afternoon , sounds great !!

They did have a funny rattle in them when aquired. When I pulled the woofers for refoaming, I found orange peel. Must have been in there for years, hard like a rock. Gotta love kids and open ports.

00Robin
    oh yeah,the thrifts past the Mississippi,like the Hellman's Best Foods line are the thrifts to go.

my other L26s have nasty spring loaded binding posts and these have JBL twist posts....later edition ?
    when painting the baffles, I removed the tweeter. it was a LE25-4.....I found a post in the archives from Lancer with a chart that said L26A uses a 125a and LE25-4. so although it does not say L26A on the foilcal, I think that they are.......maybe that explains the twist posts ( that have now been replaced with gold 5 ways)

mcds

I looked them up on the web, and they are essentially the famous NS-1000 without the beryillium hf and mf...I cant really see why those wud be needed as the NS-690II does very well with paper ones.

The output sound is rated at 90db/1m at 1 watt input, and the frequency response is rated at 35 ~ 20,000 Hz.

If looking for something to compare to...kinda like the 4412's ...but MUCH more foreward ...not a studio monitor
    These want to be positioned fairly close to a rear wall in a not too large room. The bass should fill out nicely under those conditions.

too funny........

last week on Safari, the salvage place brought out a crummy Sony dd turntable..thrashed. dustcover shattered, platter missing , bent knobs , arm hanging loose, etd..etc..nobody wouldl buy this mess , but it had the head shell still on , so I bought the whole thing for $1. Standard shell, cart tested OK ( just a middling Shure) so I put it on the bay, hoping to get $10..................finished today.

2 guys started fighting over it..why ? darned if I know....

http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI....m=280149055989

Quote Originally Posted by Pointsource View Post
    Those turned out to be a bargain for someone , I almost bid, but just don't need more

I acquired my Yams w/o grills. Started looking around my grill stash and found a pair of EPI's that were about 2 in. too tall and wide. So found my little miter saw and removed 8 2in sections of the HDF (it really is High density)...they fit prefectly except for mounting...used round pegs from defunct Advents...the then the Yam grommets were too small, so replaced them with rubber Boston ones...They now fit so tight that a Force 5 hurricane s/b no problem. cutouts to clear HF and LF were needed.
    Finally set them up on stands and draped black cloth over 1 and the EPI brown on the other...took comments for 3 days and the brown was the unanimous favorite (tho orig Yam color was black)

Anyway , now happy with their looks and sounds

I drug home a pair of DAS DS-12 speakers today ...work great and have commercial mounts on them. Anybody know anything about them ???? Made in Valencia, Spain. They should clean up very nice.

Thread Information