Page 14 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    I am guessing since it is Tues you have already taken he amp in but if you haven't ...Checked all fuses? there are some inside too. the switch does go bad on these and many people just use the surge protector for on off. the one on the b460 is on 24x7 no hot cold hot cold etc issue for it and no switch wearing out. The one upstairs is on a surge protector and is rarely used
    Have you tried any Dalquist speakers yet?
    well I'd been looking at the top of the Adcom and it looked like a combo of philips screws and rivets....so got out my trusty Harbor Freight security bit set and found one to open the top....4 fuses in there , one on each card....2 were blown , replaced them, turned off power switch and plugged in....power light is ON tho wont turn off in either position...will hook it up to cheap speakers tomorrow....PROGRESS

(Doug -my tech- went camping with his family...imagine him abandoning me in my hour of tech need ) he'll be back Wednesday.

I had 1 Dahlquest that got parted out...drivers were beautiful, cab very well made,,never got to hear it...but quality construction.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

the GFA -555 is on, but no output...so off to Doug it went

found this interesting tidbit on the web
    Attached Images Attached Images  

did the fuses blow after install? i believe they are 7 amp?? anything look or smaell burned?

Did you check prices on the new retro amps, 1299 list, as cheap as 870 but also selling for list (or at least some stores are charging list). Seemaexpensive for what it is, competes w/5500 model, doesn't make sense to me. but in a few years someone will sell like it was original for cheap and hopefully you can make a safari there..
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

did the fuses blow after install? i believe they are 7 amp?? anything look or smaell burned?.
    fuses stayed good,,,250mv , no burn/smell ...Doug will let me know whats going on....have no current use for it , was just a deal, so had to grab it.

the fugly finities & surprising Advents

I find inifity stuff usuall sounds better than it looks or should.

Duanage was over last night playing w/my stuff(helping) brought back Dq3 woofers and I reinstalled, my fav bookshelf(limited back ground though).

Ran a an impedance test on my 250, found modified XO doesn't look right and I have a "hole" at 200hz. The beat set w/orginal XO tested good

more research...

could be a "customer" on the Adcom, lots of variables to over come, but at least "maybe"
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

I find inifity stuff usuall sounds better than it looks or should.
    could be a "customer" on the Adcom, lots of variables to over come, but at least "maybe"
    I dont like working on finities...they are fussy, usually odd sizes,odd materials or odd assembly. ie: 2 inch screws holding the woofers in..beauty rings glued onto baskets, speaker leads that dont like to stay on..etc..etc....just little things that add up.

nice thing bout taking the Adcom to Doug..he does a 90 day warranty that IS transferable

I wud keep it, but have no place to use it...too much gear already.

Funny Day

so I set out on the bike for Gresham (the 20 mile loop)..garage sales everywhere, I stop at the first......there is a beautiful condition Trek 730 Multitrack (Made in USA) bike...straight and clean...they want $25...I told em that if still there on the way home..I'd take it....went another half mile and started thinking "it wont be there later" ...turned around , found the sale again and asked them to hold it 20 minutes..came back in the truck and offered 23 ...Wow, they had to have a family meeting and big discussion to give me 2 bux off..
    So I take it home, the phone rings...a guy who bought a bunch of foams last week...at that time he had asked me what speakers I like ...replied JBL, of course. he says "bought my first JBL's and I need foams", so he comes over and buys $22 worth of foams & caps ...now I'm only out a buck on the TRek.

So we go to his car to look at his new JBL.....L65a's ..beautiful condition with grills,glass tops, black felt stuff and even logos...he just picked them at a garage sale....on his first visit,,,he turned them DOWN for $25, went to the library and looked them up on the web, then went back and bought them for $15.

Feeling bummed at a novice grabbing a deal like that ..I took off on the bike...first GS I stopped at there were a pristine pair of AR4x's for $2, but it was half price hour... , so $1

Got to the thrift and someone had just dumped their vinyl collection ...in pristine condition, I got

Wednesday Morning 3AM S&G (have never seen their first album before)
    In search of the Lost Chord - Moodies
    M.U. The best of Tull
    Stoney End - Ronstadt & Stone Ponies - rare
    Steely Dans's GH - its different than my other copy.

Got these L166's from CL in Atlanta......

Haven't had a chance to do much listening other than at the sellers house. Want to A/B them with the L100's using my Sansui 9090. Will post my thoughts as I have any.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    Haven't had a chance to do much listening other than at the sellers house. Want to A/B them with the L100's using my Sansui 9090. Will post my thoughts as I have any.
    I found them to be better overall than the L1's ...YMMV

nice score ...price ?

Price......

$225

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    $225
    thats prolly fair if they are in good shape and RTG.

they are a real sleeper IMHO...better than L100's which usually go for more.

sold my 3 pairs for $400,375,375 (all needed refoam and TLC when purchased, but I only had 75 in all 3 pairs.)

It is uncanny the ..........

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    thats prolly fair if they are in good shape and RTG.

they are a real sleeper IMHO...better than L100's which usually go for more.

sold my 3 pairs for $400,375,375 (all needed refoam and TLC when purchased, but I only had 75 in all 3.)
    deals you find. I too, enjoy your escapades. Very informative and entertaining. It is something I could see myself doing, if only I had the time.

Hey, JBLRaiser,

I agree with you, completely! This thread is always interesting, informative, and educational! And, like you, I love hearing of SeaWolf's successes at this never-ending journey!! Great stuff!! Please keep it up SW, and may it long continue! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who has your kind of luck, when I go out looking for backpacking stoves! Around 450+ of the little devils, to date, and still adding to my collection. Oldest one is from 1872, and it still works like a champ!)
    Last edited by Doc Mark; 08-23-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: an "oops"...
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I like them

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    My advantage is that I do have the time....retired 7 years ago - dont know why I waited so long ....

always enjoy watching the traffic cams on the morning news and remembering the days of 1h20m to do 24 mile commute to Intel....I worked solid from 17 to 53 and that was enough. I knew the layoff was coming so pulled out some cash and paid the house off ( and Bimmer & truck) ....when most of the bills you have are utilities, taxes & food ..the stress level subsides.
    Medical care is free the rest of my life and most of my income is tax exempt, (tho I'd trade it for a good ankle) so I get to play with toys that were only a dream most of my life..(but I'm still cheap - A "Penthouse Pauper" the OL says) -sorry, old CCR song-

So how do them Horizons sound ???
    After reading enough from our esteemed members with them, I knew they would be an improvement on the L100's. Cranked them up and they are not as forward as the L100's, nor as boomy. Tighter bass. More accurate and pleasing. I don't have any real profound remarks, just your run of the mill audio dialect regurgitation. I'm taking in some Gary Jules' 'Trading Snakeoil for Wolftickets'. Nice.

picked this up today....seem to be rather rare .. eBay likes them
    the meter is for rotation speed and when the meter is ON, the strobe goes OFF...recommended to me by a forum member..who says he can hear the diff with strobe off...

Thread Information