Page 36 of 63 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    It happens to me all the time, but I find the young chicks really dig that black ash look!
    glad you've found an "in" with them.

The L-88's & L-110's just walked out the door , and I didn't even have them for sale.
    (in addition to a bunch of other audio stuff ...all headed to Saigon) ...he was really lusting
    after the AR-90's & Yammy's. We'll see what happens when he returns tomorrow ....

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    got it running at 4 ghz
    moved HD from old Dell ...650GB inside, 3TB external
    Gigabit ethernet is fast...
    LAST post abt the new PC , promise.

think I'm finally done.

My 2 TB external is USB3 capable ..but I never ran it that way , since didn't have the ports.
    so I crawled under the desk and moved the 1TB & 2TB drives down there. Hooked the 2 to the USB3
    port ..Wahoo that puppy is F-A-S-T , now.

then , stuck in the house today , finally unpacked the new Comcast gateway/modem/router . It took
    longer to clear space for it than to activate. Comcast can be a$$es, but the install was simple enough , even enough for me. .
    Coupled with the Gigabit ethernet port on the PC ...yow...fast internet , fast drives , 2 GB of
    video memory , LightScribe if I need it , fab sound card , total 3.6 TB spinning storage , fast DVD burner , so quiet that I don't bother to turn off PC at night. MAY install some SSD ..that's about the only tweak it could possibly use (at this time)

Oh yeah , I juiced it up a tad , that GUI BIOS is great ...now all 4 cores running at 4.4 ghz
    will prolly keep incrementing up the speed until it becomes un-stable and then back it off a bit
    Tweeker sites say that CPU can do 4.7 on air cooling , not ready for water cooled, yet.

glad you've found an "in" with them.

The L-88's & L-110's just walked out the door , and I didn't even have them for sale.
    (in addition to a bunch of other audio stuff ...all headed to Saigon) ...he was really lusting
    after the AR-90's & Yammy's. We'll see what happens when he returns tomorrow ....
    He took the LE10-1's and the Tandberg R2R too , and he's now drooling over the AR-90's

got to digging thru speaker graveyard #3 (the patio) and found some
    Pioneer CS-53's. Looked on the web and could not find an identical pair.
    Note the rope like fascia.
    stuck them on CL ... gone in 3 hours.

same buyer as last week
    Attached Images Attached Images  

overcast today, but NO wind/rain ..nice day for a long bike ride. Went down to GW salvage , got lots of small things.

Was ready to leave but then they wheeled out more bins. nothing outstanding , but started digging in a box of
    electronic misc. Sure did look like a Nano gen 6 in that box , just like the one in my pocket (my little riding friend) , but this one is light blue.

Things there are $1.59 /lb. , so this came out to 27 cents. Plugged it in when I got home. It's the 8GB model.
    Formatted and loaded some test tunes. Can find NO problems

another fun day.

got to digging thru speaker graveyard #3 (the patio) and found some
    Pioneer CS-53's. Looked on the web and could not find an identical pair.
    Note the rope like fascia.
    stuck them on CL ... gone in 3 hours.

same buyer as last week
    Pioneer wanted to make sure that you could tell which one is the "woofer"
    (and which is the "tweeter" )

So last month , an Asian Flipper Man cleaned out nearly 20 pairs of speakers from my stash
    ( 2 JBL pairs = L88's , L110's) and mostly brands that I didn't want to work on.

Every time he returned , I'd get another offer on the AR-90s. He only wanted them to flip
    and I turned down all his offers. Today I sold them to a nice guy who I am sure will enjoy
    and treasure them . We had a nice long talk and demo.

Sometimes after all the work you put into a pair, you really do want to see them stop traveling
    and stay in 1 place with a new appreciative owner.

LATER: I did NOT have them listed for sale. A very happy prior buyer referred his friend to me , with the promise "Tom will treat you well" ..I did.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Sometimes after all the work you put into a pair, you really do want to see them stop traveling
    and stay in 1 place with a new appreciative owner.
    You're giving flippers a bad name!

Good for you!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Have you ever came across any NEAR New England Audio Resource speakers out in Port?

Seawolf
    I spent a good two hours or more looking over this thread.
    You could star in your own TV show!

By the end, I thought about one of my old speaker setups, and if you ever see them.
    This applies to all anyway, but what ever happened to the liquid suspension theory, that NEAR had in the 90s?
    N.E.A.R = New England Audio Resource
    The company was ran by William (Bill) Kieltyka around 1988-1997, when Bogen bought them.
    Now Bogen makes outdoor speakers under the name.

read more here
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/arc...p/t-82907.html

They built a spiderless woofer, and floated it in oil (which was leak prone at times).
    The local HIFI store here in Davenport set me up with a set of NEAR 10-M's and I later bought some 15-M's
    I like them still, and stocked up on drivers, to keep mine running.
    I ran them with a monster Kinergetics subwoofer, so they were a mini satellite system, with a hidden sub.
    The setup worked good, but where has this liquid suspension theory gone?
    Did it make it to any higher level?

In 2013 I got hooked on the the two way sound that older JBL's have.
    I haven't tossed my old NEAR's yet, but am sad I didn't have my JBL C-36's sooner!
    I like the bass reflex sound, and it amazes me at how much hooey is in the HIFI world.
    JBL had this figured out in the 50s, and since then its been hype and tricks, improving sound.

A few pages back, you drug home some Cerwin Vega D-9s...
    I had a set of those for two months, and wanted to flip the guts, and keep the boxes for JBL drivers.
    At first listen, I told myself they were all show and little go (in stock form and restored)
    They are narrow, and don't take up as much floor space as a C35 or 36 JBL.
    I hooked up some LE-85s, with a 3110A crossover, and kept the Cerwin Vega woofer in place.
    That really sounded great... I was ready to keep them this way, but a buyer knocked on my door, and they left. The guys that like them are many, and the D-9 speaker has a cult following.

It continues to impress me that the LE-85 and a 15 inch woofer can deliver the sound as good as any.
    My NEAR's will be surround or bedroom speakers going forward.

Don from Iowa

further reading on Bozak to NEAR and the real designer?

Further reading on Bozak to NEAR and the real designer?

this guy claims design for NEAR 15M
    Athanas Acoustic Devices is the R&D home of audio designer and inventor Lewis Athanas
    http://www.athanas.com/design-history.html

The NEAR saga is another chapter about re-make, re-model and resuscitating an old and respected brand name. Here the name is Bozak, and NEAR was the old Bozak line in everything but name. (read more from the link above)

Don

Quote Originally Posted by donsof View Post
    Seawolf
    I spent a good two hours or more looking over this thread.
    You could star in your own TV show!

By the end, I thought about one of my old speaker setups, and if you ever see them.
    This applies to all anyway, but what ever happened to the liquid suspension theory, that NEAR had in the 90s?
    N.E.A.R = New England Audio Resource
    The company was ran by William (Bill) Kieltyka around 1988-1997, when Bogen bought them.
    Now Bogen makes outdoor speakers under the name.
    thanx for the reply Don ...it's been fun that we've allowed this threat to wander all over.

I have never even heard of NEAR , I guess they didn't make enough to get this far.

Here in Oregon, we get a lot of California refugees. I think they haul their JBL's along with them, although the sales of same have dropped off lately. Many are keeping what they already have ??

I was lucky to return to places in Asia from my military days. The current foam surrounds that we use are made there. Grabbed all that I could carry , and have been busy refoaming ever since. I sell the foams too and have made lots of customer/friends.

current goodwill pricing

So Is the goodwill there still selling at rock bottom pricing?
    Around here, they are turning into antique stores, with much higher pricing than a few years ago.
    Sometimes they are higher than ebay!
    They don't clean, refurbish, or test and still want market prices.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by donsof View Post
    So Is the goodwill there still selling at rock bottom pricing?
    Around here, they are turning into antique stores, with much higher pricing than a few years ago.
    Sometimes they are higher than ebay!
    They don't clean, refurbish, or test and still want market prices.

Don
    The GW retail stores are terrible. Just not much to buy there and prices can be higher than new.

Items that are big or ugly or broken or unknown do not go to their retail stores. That stuff goes to their 'as-is" salvage outlet stores. Most things are priced low to move quickly, otherwise they'd get smothered in inventory.

When I started this thread , GW priced speakers, receivers, unknown at $5-10. That single store was grossing over $100k a day , with little overhead. They use county offenders that work off their "public service" time on the weekends pushing bins. Regular employees are paid (by GW) 8 cents an hour , the rest of their minimum wage is made up in govt. grants. The local GW CEO (who supervises about 40 stores) made $831k a year , with paid house and driver ... until the local paper exposed it all. He took a "voluntary" pay cut to only $634k ,, to be "more on the same wavelength" with the common GW employee. (it's now back up to $720k)

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/....html?page=all

Now even GW salvage is in a "greedy mode" . Almost everything is on a "per pound" basic. Want JBL's ? let's see..50 pounds times 2 times the per pound price. Up till recently everything has been $1.39 a pound. After a lot of complaints , now an item over 3 pounds is 89 cents a pound.

There are of course, great deals and rotten deals. I bought a book yesterday for $2 (someones Xmas present 1918) and found a copy on ebay for $175 starting price. There are dealers that "go to work" and stay in that store 8 hours a day , everyday. Some selling books or clothes are doing $10k/month in gross sales.

As for buying speakers , right now CL is working best for me. I run a recurring WTB ad.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/goodwill-outlet-milwaukie

the buyer of the AR towers returned today for the beryllium Yamahas. Last night I set them up for the early meeting today. They acquitted themselves very well. A very definite L-100 sound with a better tweeter.

I was planning to keep them, but didn't like the wood look vinyl wrapped cabinets. Then the 120 Ti's came along and they are just so much prettier , without giving away any SQ.

Using the 24/192 DVD player through the VanAlstein tube buffer/amp box to play the "V for Vendetta" CD really produced a nice demo.

Oh yeah, "Papa was a Rolling Stone" dubbed from LP to MD demoed well too.

When the AR towers (and now the yamaha's too) - buyer returned , mentioned he was so impressed with my demo (Roy Orbisons's DVD - A black & white night) , that he went out and bought the LP - R.O.'s Greatest Hits

It's not audio , but yesterday I picked up a 1950's vintage Linhof German tripod ballhead , s/b/ ez flip.

These showed up in Sweden for sale this week, seems like very Nice build!

They were advertised as "K2 9500", consist of 2xLE14-3 and 2435/H9800:

Name:  2460145894.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  31.5 KB

Thread Information