Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    This remains one of my favorite threads.
    +1

Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Fangio View Post
    +1

Tom.
    Thanx very much Fangio , I'm now officially old.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I decided to go on safari to my unused bedrooms closet ... a nice little pair of AR4x's ....(besides the old rags) ...tested them, all play well ...
    just sold the little 4x's ....set them up to demo ...my my they sounded nice for non-JBL
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thanx very much Fangio , I'm now officially old.
    You are not old yet! - you got 15-20 yet before O L D kicks in!
    (maybe more, the way you talk about bicycling around that town!)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    You are not old yet! - you got 15-20 yet before O L D kicks in!
    Tell that to my bum ankle ..VA is talking up surgery again.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    (maybe more, the way you talk about bicycling around that town!)
    I was out on the Fuji 2 days ago (its a mountain bike, I cant get down "on the drops" of a road bike anymore)..just cruising along, turned the corner and about 120 feet down my lane was a radar trap ..with a big readout "YOUR SPEED IS.....XX..." ...so I jumped on the pedals and gave it full speed.
    Radar showed 14 MPH ...I was jazzed until I remembered that the track guys who run 4 minute miles are averaging 15 mph for a whole mile...I cant do that one..

Smile RE: a/d/s L1290

Have not even dusted them yet.....sound fantastic - 2 eights, both active, I think- , beautiful veneer
    ( i'm a veneer junkie) .....they were set to bi-amp, but the wrong posts had been used, the correct ones were screwed down tight , the wrong ones were half way up ..
    Just watched a pair on 'da Bay sell for
    Winning bid: US $670.97
    went out on safari yesterday and grabbed ? but the real finds were a Pfaff sewing machine (like new)
    Wow ,,,I gotta find more of these ..sold fast for good bux.

things are getting lean, but 2 TT's and an LX44 ...anyone need single drivers ?
    Hello,
    By anychance you still have the woofer of that LX44 and how much, please?
    Thank you,

jomina
    I looked them up on the web, and they are essentially the famous NS-1000 without the beryillium hf and mf...I cant really see why those wud be needed as the NS-690II does very well with paper ones.
    Hmm, I think you would need to listen to the real thing to understand why. THe cabinet is also siginificantly less massive than on the NS1000.
    FWIW, "0" is not flat on NS1000s. L-pads should be set to about -3 on the mids and between -2 and -3 on the tweets. Very midrangy otherwise.
    To judge from the photo, the midrange dome on your 690 has been bashed in. Not good.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by jomina View Post
    , the midrange dome on your 690 has been bashed in. Not good.
    Joel
    Joel
    When you pay $5 for a pair of 690II's , you take what you can get, happily..I never noticed that mid with less coverage or down on output. Looked at pushing it out from the inside, but no access, they have been restored as far as I want do go and put in storage, replaced with a big aDs pair ...few of my cheap finds are in perfect condition (except the L166's) , but NBD , they usually get passed off to friends/family or parted out in extreme conditions so that others may live. ...the well has dried up, not much more to grab at cheap prices.

What do you get for $5 in Tokyo ?

I was out on the Fuji 2 days ago (its a mountain bike, I cant get down "on the drops" of a road bike anymore)..just cruising along, turned the corner and about 120 feet down my lane was a radar trap ..with a big readout "YOUR SPEED IS.....XX..." ...so I jumped on the pedals and gave it full speed.
    Radar showed 14 MPH ...I was jazzed until I remembered that the track guys who run 4 minute miles are averaging 15 mph for a whole mile...I cant do that one..
    found 2 more radar traps yesterday on the bike ...was prepared and made it to 18 MPH thru one and the 2nd was at the bottom of a hill and I registered 28 MPH ..WooHoo !!

jomina
    Joel
    When you pay $5 for a pair of 690II's , you take what you can get, happily..I never noticed that mid with less coverage or down on output.
    Fair point... And they're not insubstantial speakers either. If they're similar to the NS-1000s, the L-pads really work and are worth playing around with.

What do you get for $5 in Tokyo ?
    bento lunch box and a soft drink.

Fair point... And they're not insubstantial speakers either.
    good eye on catching the mid indent....as I recall JBL L-100 is about 48 pounds,,the Yammie is 62 pounds and approx the same cab size. They are very forward for Nipponese speakers and wud be in daily use if I didnt have many many others to use. So forward that I usually joke that they must be from the West Coast of Japan. L-pads do work and are set as you suggested.
    They are very undervalued IMHO ..a pristine set (which mine arent) normally sell for under $150

jomina
    Could be that the dent is causing the forwardness. It must be having some effect. My experience with the 1000s (1000x) is that with the L-pads engaged they are not forward sounding in the mids/treble. They should have a slow, reasonably smooth roll-off from around 5kHz.
    This is what I like. Paid a bit more than $5 for mine, though. There were many, many NS-1000 clones produced in Japan in the seventies and eighties. Not too many of them are remembered now, and from what I've heard, with good reason...

Tom,

I went through a radr trap wheezing "flying" through and I think I hit 17. Also in the same park the group of pros go by, spandex, colorful shirts, and nice bikes.They are chatting, laughing w/each other just cruising along, b not being serious at the time... I can't keep up at full speed and this is when I am "in shape" lol

I still love biking, just not with them yet(or ever is my guess)

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Could be that the dent is causing the forwardness. It must be having some effect.
    I shud have clarified that...was referring when pads set to zero or +1.

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Tom,

I went through a radr trap wheezing "flying" through and I think I hit 17. Also in the same park the group of pros go by, spandex, colorful shirts, and nice bikes.They are chatting, laughing w/each other just cruising along, b not being serious at the time... I can't keep up at full speed and this is when I am "in shape" lol

I still love biking, just not with them yet(or ever is my guess)

Mark
    Mark..I get passed by road bikes often..dont hear them coming and then they just pull away....but I cycle more for the rehab on my ankle than taking it seriously

(there are only 2 exercises that are not destructive to an ankle...swimming & biking)

...10-12 miles is a good trip for me and most of the time I have LP records in a plastic bag strapped in front of the bars...there are 5 thrifts within my range and fast food places to match..
    But I am serious about safety..gloves, helmet, green vest and I follow traffic rules/laws as many times I'm on busy roads.
    When I had an expensive road bike ...man I cud go fast, but spent too much time on the side of the road fixing flats ....Now, with the mountain bike, never had a flat and estimate is that have accumulated 3000-4000 miles on it. Good Japanese ChroMolly Alloy frame keeps on going, and the Shimano Deore set just does its thing.
    Funny, last summer I bought a new TREK MultiTrack and just havnt ridden it much..its all China made and the quality does not hold even close to my 90's Fuji..

My son comes over on his Cannondale..sucker looks like its doing 40 when sitting still ..you hold it up and even a little breeze and it wants to roll ..he's headed to London for school in Sept so I may get a chance to try it when he is gone.

But you are right ..I love cycling too,,its like flying (but on land)

When I had an expensive road bike ...man I cud go fast, but spent too much time on the side of the road fixing flats ....Now, with the mountain bike, never had a flat and estimate is that have accumulated 3000-4000 miles on it. Good Japanese ChroMolly Alloy frame keeps on going, and the Shimano Deore set just does its thing.
    Funny, last summer I bought a new TREK MultiTrack and just havnt ridden it much..its all China made and the quality does not hold even close to my 90's Fuji..

My son comes over on his Cannondale..sucker looks like its doing 40 when sitting still ..you hold it up and even a little breeze and it wants to roll ..he's headed to London for school in Sept so I may get a chance to try it when he is gone.
    Bikes in some ways are very much like hifi and many other products. Despite the current industry's best minds trying to make every possible improvement to their products, the stuff made in the past is perceived to be better. You didn't mention the selling prices of either bike, but I would guess a Deore (LX)90's Fuji went for between 700-$1000. Referring to a "Multitrack" usually implies a model 7100, which sold for about $329 in the past two years. To compare a bike to the older Fuji, with inflation, a bike costing around $1000-$1400 should be used. Some of the older components do have a nicer finish and do look better built I must admit, but repair wise everything regardless of build period seems to fail at the same mileage or abuse. Some people get very attached to their older bike and have a hard time finding something new they like, some people instantly are happy with the newer model. I would venture a guess that to cover a 1000 calorie burned distance on the MTB, the Multitrack would only require 925 calories. Besides my username brand, I also retail Fuji, Cannondale's parent companies other brands, and a bunch of others, btw. Ok, back to 375's and 2231B's....

Trekman - pretty close on most guesses...the TREK is a 7200 and the Fuji a Suncrest ...the Fuji must be at least 5 pounds heavier, tho no shock protection at all..I didnt buy it new, but have had it since mid 90's ..
    I'm not attacking TREK (although the grip shifters suck..mebbe all of them do) , but after doing a lot of auditioning last summer , nearly bought a Kona Dew+ over various Treks..but then the Fuji just goes and goes..

My standard coasting test,(slightly downhill) I can give the Fuji a couple of spins and it coasts a quarter mile..the 7200 will not do it, takes continual pedaling. You are right tho, one gets comfortable like an old pair of shoes and its hard to change to new one(s).

I shud note that the Fuji looks nothing like the current MTB's and actually has a longer wheelbase than the TREK.

Thread Information