Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Speaker Safari

needed more projects ..still have my head above water , so went on a speakers safari today....loaded the Toyo up to the gills with :

KEF Q-10's ...nice little English 6 inch coaxials

Lancer by Soundcraftsman pair ...dont know what is in them, but sound pretty good, just need wood cosmetics

Yamaha NS-690II's ....cast basket 12 inch 3 ways..was reading that these are essentially NS-1000's w/o the be tweeter. Need foam. looks like I'll have to trim the outer edge on the 12in foam to fit...sound good on their backs, firing up. Beautiful veneer.

Anyway...got away with $20 for the whole gaggle....more projects , need more projects.

Oh yeah..a single Pinnacle to match an orphan Pinnacle I already had...add $2

was picking up an setting Yams and seemed quite heavy...LF and MF's are both cast....speaker weight is 58 pounds
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Here is what the LF looks like on the Yamaha ..mid is cast also

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-NS-690II-...QQcmdZViewItem

Very transparent surrounds.

Gordon W might be able to help out.

Ian

I finished up the Yammy's and connected source.....My golly , they sound nice...kinda like an L100plus. Very , very foreward , must be from the west coast of Japan .

Everything construction-wise was first rate ( I hate working on cheap-a$$ Infinities- where nothing works right) ..These are easily the best Japanese speakers I've ever heard, wish I had them when living with Pioneer CS77a's for 20 years)

I looked them up on the web, and they are essentially the famous NS-1000 without the beryillium hf and mf...I cant really see why those wud be needed as the NS-690II does very well with paper ones.

The output sound is rated at 90db/1m at 1 watt input, and the frequency response is rated at 35 ~ 20,000 Hz.

If looking for something to compare to...kinda like the 4412's ...but MUCH more foreward ...not a studio monitor

On the weekly safari yesterday,,,among other things, i picked up this Pioneer TT. Its in great condition with a decent ADC cart and good stylus.
    If you look down at the lower base right , there is a remote sensor. Looked it up and this was a remote controlled TT.
    So a tt collector friend of mine was present when I grabbed it and immediately started bargaining. I reluctantly agreed to trade it for a pair of L26's. They do need surrounds, but not a bad day

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I reluctantly agreed to trade it for a pair of L26's. They do need surrounds, but not a bad day
    picked them up today...a project for sure...simple refoam job , fab some grills and work on veneer, but well worth my modest investment.

my other L26s have nasty spring loaded binding posts and these have JBL twist posts....later edition ?

mcds

I looked them up on the web, and they are essentially the famous NS-1000 without the beryillium hf and mf...I cant really see why those wud be needed as the NS-690II does very well with paper ones.

The output sound is rated at 90db/1m at 1 watt input, and the frequency response is rated at 35 ~ 20,000 Hz.

If looking for something to compare to...kinda like the 4412's ...but MUCH more foreward ...not a studio monitor
    These want to be positioned fairly close to a rear wall in a not too large room. The bass should fill out nicely under those conditions.

too funny........

last week on Safari, the salvage place brought out a crummy Sony dd turntable..thrashed. dustcover shattered, platter missing , bent knobs , arm hanging loose, etd..etc..nobody wouldl buy this mess , but it had the head shell still on , so I bought the whole thing for $1. Standard shell, cart tested OK ( just a middling Shure) so I put it on the bay, hoping to get $10..................finished today.

2 guys started fighting over it..why ? darned if I know....

http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI....m=280149055989

jomina
    Hmm, I think you would need to listen to the real thing to understand why. THe cabinet is also siginificantly less massive than on the NS1000.
    FWIW, "0" is not flat on NS1000s. L-pads should be set to about -3 on the mids and between -2 and -3 on the tweets. Very midrangy otherwise.
    To judge from the photo, the midrange dome on your 690 has been bashed in. Not good.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by jomina View Post
    , the midrange dome on your 690 has been bashed in. Not good.
    Joel
    Joel
    When you pay $5 for a pair of 690II's , you take what you can get, happily..I never noticed that mid with less coverage or down on output. Looked at pushing it out from the inside, but no access, they have been restored as far as I want do go and put in storage, replaced with a big aDs pair ...few of my cheap finds are in perfect condition (except the L166's) , but NBD , they usually get passed off to friends/family or parted out in extreme conditions so that others may live. ...the well has dried up, not much more to grab at cheap prices.

What do you get for $5 in Tokyo ?

I was out on the Fuji 2 days ago (its a mountain bike, I cant get down "on the drops" of a road bike anymore)..just cruising along, turned the corner and about 120 feet down my lane was a radar trap ..with a big readout "YOUR SPEED IS.....XX..." ...so I jumped on the pedals and gave it full speed.
    Radar showed 14 MPH ...I was jazzed until I remembered that the track guys who run 4 minute miles are averaging 15 mph for a whole mile...I cant do that one..
    found 2 more radar traps yesterday on the bike ...was prepared and made it to 18 MPH thru one and the 2nd was at the bottom of a hill and I registered 28 MPH ..WooHoo !!

If the Safari uncovers a Technics SL 1100 TT that appears to have been played only on Sundays, I'd appreciate a shout

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    If the Safari uncovers a Technics SL 1100 TT that appears to have been played only on Sundays, I'd appreciate a shout
    did pick up an OK SL-1200 mk2 last year ...traded for a load of JBL carcasses .....new owner rebuilt it ....
    check CL, there are decent ones out there for not too much ....
    oh and my beautiful , ready to play (after cleaning) SL-M2 for $5 last summer (its a high gloss rosewood finish, like the big Denon's)

snagged an M&K Goliath today , too big to bungee to the bike, have to take the truck back tomorrow.

went back to p/u the Goliath today (its a passive Volkswoofer)
    and snagged this AR TT ...both for same price..

the goliath is refoamed and ready for a demo tomorrow ..vaguely remember that it was sold in the early 70's with satellites called "Davids" :ie Davids and a Goliath ..dual voice coil sucker has a pretty substantial magnet and beautiful cabinet ....I bought it Saturday and had to go back Sunday to pick it up ....thats when I found the AR-XB ....on the way home I stopped at the record store ....they have a little segregated area next to the front door to leave FREE stuff ...sometimes good records are there. this time there was a Technics TT ....free, so I hauled it along with my purchases ....gave it power at home and NO JOY... snapped a couple of pix and stuck it up on CL for parts or repair - $35. A rep from a local playhouse just came to buy it ...to be used as a prop in a stage production

later: http://www.stereophile.com/interviews/136/
    in 1973, Walter Becker, from Steely Dan, asked me to design a speaker system to use in mixing Pretzel Logic. That system included a new subwoofer I'd developed that had excellent transient response. Everybody fell in love with that subwoofer. All the guys in the band wanted one—and so did our customers with Quads and Magnaplanars, because they blended extremely well with those speakers. Other Quad and Maggie dealers noticed how many of those speakers we sold and wanted to know what our secret was; when we told them, they wanted to buy our new subwoofers, too. In 1974, we formed a separate corporation for manufacturing subwoofers on the second floor of our Beverly Hills store on Wilshire Boulevard. I continued to record, and I even cut some demo records from my tapes. One day, mastering engineer Doug Sax walked into the store and heard his Missing Linc album playing on the radio. He got so excited hearing his record that I got excited too, and decided this would be a great business to be in, and that I had to start doing direct-to-disc recordings. We recorded two direct-to-disc albums at an outside studio, which meant we had to lug all of our gear over to an empty office that was next-door to the cutting lathe—not an ideal way to work. So we bought our own Neumann lathe and set up our own operation back at the store. We'd record at night and sell hi-fi during the day. About that time, we got our hands on some tiny loudspeakers by a company called Visonik [David]. We hooked them up with our subwoofer and everyone was amazed at how good they sounded together. The Visoniks had wonderful, clean, natural midrange and highs, and the woofer just put the frosting on the cake. We decided to build a subwoofer with a crossover built-in for those speakers—we called it the Goliath. The "David and Goliath" system marked the beginning of the modern era of small satellite speakers mated with subwoofers.

traded some little black 6 inchers for some crappy DJ speakers with 10's ....
    plus this 320 - B in pretty nice shape ...strange connections (to me)

flash sure shows you where cleaning is needed .

Thread Information