Page 61 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

rode down to my salvage place today

raining, the whole trip .... not much audio, tho a friend had a
    National Panasonic R2R deck in nice shape ... he claimed that the last one on ebay went for $1,100

I started to dig in a wireball, and pulled out a pair of these. (see pic). got home and looked them up , stupidly expensive.

packed them in the bikes bag and immediately my iPod nano sounded like a much more expensive DAP (and they were 4 feet away from it). Detail new to me, like the veil was lifted. did not realize that the lead singer for Iron Butterfly was actually Diana Krall.

Guess they were worth my quarter investment, tho if 30 cents, well ....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Since I'm "grounded" for a month now and until .... ?

been doing deferred cleaning. Found my box of pendulum bobs. The Aichi clock (circa 1905) that I picked up in 2015 has never had a satisfactory bob. I gave up , it was running pretty good with a sparkplug , but didn't look quite right , put on a handy real bob and it wouldn't even run anymore.
    So the first one I picked out of the box this week was right length,weight, appearance and so installed it 2 days ago ... been running strong since then.

Just have to regulate it now and find some wall space for it ... kinda like it's tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chavez View Post
    Did I miss something?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Did I miss something?
    oh, he and his gang of sock puppets (michael, tony sullivan, mac, joseph smith jr. , jimmy e. james, craig smith, collin and finally (?) Wagner) .... were exposed and he's throwing a fit.

Tom

Nice clock. If you can't find some wall space for it, my wife will here...

Got "deferred cleaning" to do too, but I guess it will need to wait a little longer, look at this:

"A total of 30 to 50 centimetres of snow is expected by Friday evening. Snow will intensify this evening and persist through Friday. In addition, strong northeast winds will gust up to 60 kilometres per hour. These winds combined with snow will cause blowing snow over several areas..."

Isn't that lovely. First real storm of the winter (got twice 4-6"). Lots of fun on the way with snowblower. Putting spray lubricant on inside of snow discharge chute (e.g. silicone), the day before storm so it dries and sticks to metal, then snow flies out to the other side of US border, lol or maybe Portland... Maine though.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Tom

Nice clock. If you can't find some wall space for it, my wife will here...

Richard
    Oh, there are 4-5 other wall hangers waiting for an opening of bare wall. The only one that I can't move is the 6'10" oak Grandfather. Also a beautiful early 1900's oak French hanger with Westminster chimes , easy fix..if I ever get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    "A total of 30 to 50 centimetres of snow is expected by Friday evening. Snow will intensify this evening and persist through Friday. In addition, strong northeast winds will gust up to 60 kilometres per hour. These winds combined with snow will cause blowing snow over several areas..."
    Keep it all to yourselves.

Guess it would not make much difference. haven't been outside (except for med. appts) in 5 weeks (see "Tom & his bike vs. the 7000 pound Monster Truck").

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post426846

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post427026

lots of time to surf. I was NAVY back in the olden days. Loved my pea coat. The NEW Navy has abandoned all that and now everything is cammo. bought another jacket this week. New USN surplus Gore-Tex parka ... really, really nice.

https://www.goreprotectivefabrics.co...-working-parka

so now, just waiting for the legs to get back to normal so I can go run around in the poor weather with the new jacket.

Noodling around on Facebook Marketplace today and came across some DCM TimeFrame DF500s pretty close by for "$75 negotiable. Seemed like nice folks so I stopped by after another trip to our new Harbor Freight for more stuff. The husband was the original owner and they were blending families after a recent marriage. The wife thought these were too large so they've gone the Bose mini route. I took along a flashlight and a Crown DC75A, my iPod, some cables to test them. We hooked them up in the living room and I do believe the seller got nostalgic just hearing them again. The surrounds were rubber, and all drivers worked. Sounded . . . okay. I expected a little more after reading about them on various sites. I'll try them with some power and a good source and see if they improve. They really need nothing to be just about perfect. Kind of cute in a flat-panel way. Can't believe anyone thought these too big for a living room. Look at them in my basement storage/workshop compared to stacked L80Ts and L7s!!

While I hooked them up for testing we talked stereo a bit and he said when he was moving them out of the attic to list them he found a B&O "linear tracking" turntable he'd forgotten he had. I told him I had two and to watch out because they don't like not being used. He asked if I wanted it—for free—and he went upstairs to retrieve it. Then he said it turned out not to be a linear tracking table but tangental in what looks to be good shape. I'll find out later. I didn't pay too much attention but now I see it is a linear-tracking table but a cheaper version than my 400x versions. It is a TX2 with a similar (short) optical arm to the originals. Don't know anything about them and don't know that I've ever seen one. The outer trim is a "play" button so you can operate it without opening the dustcover. And—oh yeah—no cartridge! But it was free! Well, it was included in the $60 I ended up paying for the DCMs.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Noodling around on Facebook Marketplace today and came across some DCM TimeFrame DF500s pretty close
    nice deal, I have a single TF600 .. a little disappointed by the size of drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    nice deal, I have a single TF600 .. a little disappointed by the size of drivers.
    Yeah, sorry: TF500. . . not DF!
    I figured the driver was as big as the L1, or L20T, and larger than an LSR305P. Not sure they sound as good as those baby JBLs. I may play with them tomorrow and compare.

For anyone who cares, the DCM TF500 is a very nice speaker! That won't surprise those of you who have owned DCM's various models.

I hooked up a quickie little system of spares in the basement to give them a fair chance. Crown Power Line Three with Crown Straight Line Two playing a TASCAM CD/iPod player. At first I thought the HF was a bit laid back. Not so much that the bass over-ran it as some have suggested, just that the tweets needed a little help. I gave the treble control a notch or two and settled in to listening. A little David Crosby SkyTrail and some Six-String-Theory. After a while I hooked up a pair of LSR305 powered monitors. I set tone to flat and did some A-B listening as best you can do it with powered monitors on a pre-amp with two outputs but no way to switch them. I just turned down the amp to hear the JBLs and switched off the JBLs to hear the DCMs.

To their credit, the DCMs sounded clear and seemed to cover the spectrum nicely with enough punch where the music required it. Switching to the JBLs, it's just astounding how much bass those little powered monitors are capable of. They out did the DCMs, which don't have a much larger woofer, really. But the box size says it just shouldn't be so! A pretty good comparison, all together. If you want to know what the DCMs sound like, grab a pair of LSR305 for around $150 these days. They both present a very credible soundstage and I could listen to either of them for a long session without fatigue. The DCMs are a bargain out in the marketplace. Yet another victim of the lack of WAF floor-standers have in our modern world. Very sad.

I sold DCM for years, and they were our go-to speaker for people that actually listened to music. Surprising sound, considering the drivers - most of them were a 6” or so woofer with a 1” voice coil, and a cheap 1/2” hard dome tweeter mounted coaxially over the woofer on some metal mesh. However, DCM got the absolute best sound you could get out of those cheap drivers. They were also really forgiving of the room - sounded good just about anywhere. Pretty much all of us had at least a pair, as every fall DCM would let the retail salespeople buy a pair or two at some ridiculous discount - 70% off or so. Put a pair of those together with a Harman Kardon integrated amp that you bought off the open box shelf for $99, and you had a really killer sounding system for nothing. Unfortunately for DCM, Circuit City was almost all of their business, and at one point they dumped Cerwin Vega and DCM, but brought back DCM only because they promised to build cheap CV knockoffs - 15” 3 ways that were super efficient for $299 or less.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    However, DCM got the absolute best sound you could get out of those cheap drivers.
    Same thing Bose & Infinity did. Do not like working on those.

located design engineer ?

IHowever, DCM got the absolute best sound you could get out of those cheap drivers.
    The oddball construction sort of reminds me of how cheap a Dahlquist DQ-10 looks when you strip it down.

I've been spoiled for over a half-century by JBL's incredible industrial design which produces drivers that not only sound fantastic but are a thing of beauty to see stripped down.

Here's what the inside of a TF500 looks like:

The oddball construction sort of reminds me of how cheap a Dahlquist DQ-10 looks when you strip it down.

I've been spoiled for over a half-century by JBL's incredible industrial design which produces drivers that not only sound fantastic but are a thing of beauty to see stripped down.
    absolutely agree, didn't that DQ-10 use the Advent driver ?

Unfortunately for DCM, Circuit City was almost all of their business, and at one point they dumped Cerwin Vega and DCM, but brought back DCM only because they promised to build cheap CV knockoffs -
    didn't CC shoot themselves in both feet, losing a ton of bux on DIVX ??

DIVX was developed by Circuit City and launched in 1997 as an alternative to DVD. DIVX discs cost $5 each, but could only be played for 48 hours on proprietary set-top players before a continuation fee was required to continue viewing. The player was connected to a phone line to check whether the disc was still valid.[70] Opposition to the format and limited acceptance by the public led Circuit City to discontinue the format in 1999. Circuit City took a US$114 million loss to close its DIVX division.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_City

I remember seeing JBL L7's in their demo room, but randomly placed and not even hooked up ..like they did NOT want to sell them.

Thread Information