Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Safari

Safari today

no speakers, but 9 tt's and a Marantz 2230 ...any keepers ? naw, but lots of trading & CL fodder..

(yes, that is a Rec-O-Kut )

also a SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS card ..looks hisute from the box description.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I got an old Trek Mt bike at a yard sale and ride it to work occasionally, I have a road bike but I was always nervous about hopping curbs and glass in the road, the roads in CT are not bike friendly in the least, and neither are the drivers. I figure I need the exercise so what is the difference, I will never race and I am no longer in a hurry to get anywhere. Maint has been minimal on the Trek, and I am sure I can keep it running till the frame rusts out.
    Guy from work wiped out on a corner running over broken glass from an accident and got all scraped up, so take care out there.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by hmolwitz View Post
    the road, the roads in CT are not bike friendly in the least, and neither are the drivers.
    Harry

the roads in Portland are getting more bike friendly..there are dedicated bike lanes everywhere and bike only paths and green boxes at some intersections...even some bike corrals downtown..
    One of the city transportation planners let on that the goal is to have more than half of all transportation via bike by 2020.

That said..it can still be dangerous out there.... We still get 1 or 2 killed a year...most have been hit and run and it is thot to be the work of illegals with no license or insurance.

I just turned 60 (retired almost 7 years) and have a bad ankle, so biking is great exercise for me and making routes hitting the thrifts and scooping up cheap LP's is great fun
    (see "Whats playing now") ... http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...postcount=1400

Speaker Safari

Picked up 2 pairs of speakers today on opposite ends of the spectrum.
    A pair of Auratone 5c slightly beaten but working and some Allison 1s which I had some kind of unrequited mental romance with in my teenage years, so now at least I can listen to them and see if they are anywhere near my imaginings.

Looking at them now all I can think is they might make a nice rear speaker if you wired the 2 sides separately... Heh

Auratones are better than I expected, but my expectations were low.

Harry

I'm a Frugal Portlander

Quote Originally Posted by hmolwitz View Post
    some Allison 1s which I had some kind of unrequited mental romance with in my teenage years, so now at least I can listen to them and see if they are anywhere near my imaginings.
    Harry
    let us know how the Allisons work out...they always reviewed great, but never got a chance to hear any..think they were in and out of biz quickly ?

ever wonder why the safari is so much fun ? I fit right in wif my town ..

"cultural pursuits both high and low" ..thats me !!

Frugal Portland" one of most-emailed stories on New York Times site
    by The Oregonian Monday May 11, 2009, 6:42 AM

Seems that some people can't get enough about our fair city.
    Portland was splashed on the cover of the Sunday New York Times travel section - and the story rocketed to the top of The Times' Web site's most-emailed list where it remained for most of Sunday.
    The story, "Frugal Portland," celebrates the city's indie ethic and its deep bench of culinary stars. Today, the story is still lingering near the top of the most popular story, taking the No. 2 spot on the most-emailed list.
    Amid economic catastrophe -- Oregon has the country's second-highest unemployment rate -- there was a general indifference to wealth. In its place was a dedication to the things that really matter: hearty food and drink, cultural pursuits both high and low, days in the outdoors and evenings out with friends. It's the good life, and in Portland it still comes cheap.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/05/10...rtland.html?em

Anybody know anything good about these? Sansui SP-X3U

Today I picked up my first pair of non-JBLs. A local guy who was the original owner gave me a pair of Sansui SP-X3U speakers. He said he had used them in his home recording studio for years as monitors but moved and no longer has a studio. His wife wanted him to get rid of the speakers and offered to put them in her yard sale. The guy said he'd rather give them to someone who might appreciate them. That turned out to be me.

They're three-ways that look like L80T clones, and tomorrow I'll put them side-by-side with the L80Ts to see what they do. Raining too hard right now to get the other one out of the car. They're 14x26.5x12.5" in heavy, sturdy MDF cabinets covered in oak-grained vinyl veneer. I took the drivers out and they are cheap stamped frames with simple magnet assemblies but the crossover looks like someone spent some time on it, the mid is in a sealed tube that runs the entire depth of the cabinet, and it came new with 5-way binding post set up for dual-bananas. Made in USA and rated to handle up to 250-watts. The owner even had the original owner's manual. In very clean condition with one stuffed dustcap on one mid-range that I was able to Hoover back to perfection since it's some kind of rubbery fabric

Drivers are described as:
    Woofer: 10" Carbon-filled Polypropylene Cone & Butyl Rubber surround (inverted roll)
    Mid-range: 5" Carbon-filled Polypropylene Cone
    Tweeter: 3/4" Liquid-cooled Soft Dome
    Efficiency: 90dB/W/m
    Crossover frequencies: 700Hz, 5,000Hz
    Impedence: 8-ohms
    Response: 35Hz-23kHz
    Weight: 43 lbs.
    Type: Acoustic suspension
    In build quality they should be similar to the LX-55 though with a cloth-dome tweeter they could be a bit smoother. We'll see. Regardless, they're going to pass to someone interested in Sansui speakers because I already have way too many and I'm probably past rationalization with my wife and family—unless they're JBLs. Luckily my wife and one daughter just left for Paris so I'm free to experiment . . . for a while!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post

They're three-ways that look like L80T clones, and tomorrow Made in USA and rated to handle up to 250-watts.Weight: 43 lbs.
    Never heard of USA made Sansuis...usually they are Kabuki specials, tho these look restrained..43 pounds for a 10 incher seems pretty substantial.

(heresy to follow) ....stamped baskets ? of course we wud like to have cast, but in the real world I've never heard any difference...have some big Marantz's with a generic (looked up the manf code , didnt recognize the name) 12 inch stamped woofer, sounded just fine.

since I didnt like my departed L80T's..hoping that they sound that good doesnt mean too much. Think they may be closer to an L-36.

Keep us informed with the listening impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    ..43 pounds for a 10 incher seems pretty substantial.

since I didnt like my departed L80T's..hoping that they sound that good doesnt mean too much. Think they may be closer to an L-36.

Keep us informed with the listening impressions.
    Seemed heavy to me, too, but that's what the manual lists. Shipping weight is listed as more so that should be bare. I hugged one on the scale with me and came up with only slightly less but then my bathroom scale gets severely taxed when asked to figure beyond 250-lbs. and it's already gone 'round once in that range!

I mentioned L80T because the grille treatment mimics that model, and since I have a pair of those. I know you're a 4410 fan and we've gone down this road before, but with the GordonW mods to the cabinet volume with extra fiberglass batting and duct extension, the L80T is really not a bad system. On some music they outperform the L96s. On others they're muddy by comparison, but isn't that always the case?

Looks like the skies are finally clearing, at least temporarily, and maybe I can dodge the cats and dogs to bring the other side inside soon. I have no expectation that these'll perform anywhere close to L36 or L80T levels but if they sound even half as good as the crappy little LX22s, they'll be worth their free price and can be passed along to a Sansui true-believe, if such people exist.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I have no expectation that these'll perform anywhere close to L36 or L80T levels but if they sound even half as good as the crappy little LX22s, they'll be worth their free price and can be passed along to a Sansui true-believe, if such people exist.
    I have a pair of Bolivars......(see... http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=3454 )

they were JBL's budget line speakers (tho better than Radiance) and the 3 way 10 incher is about 90 percent as good as an L-36 , tho the cabs sucked -big time-

Not that anyone here cares, but here goes.

Initial reaction: If you didn't tell anyone what they were, hid the vinyl-covered cabinets and stamped frames, many would probably think these Sansui SP-X3U's were some pretty darn nice speakers. My L26s are stashed away so I can't do an A-B comparison but using the L96 and L80T I can tell you the Sansui lacks bass extension of the kind that you can hear outside the room and that makes you really feel that instrument when in the room.

The tweeters are pleasant enough, actually a bit brighter than the L96 044s run flat, and the mid-range is a bit "forward" as I've heard it described and as I think I understand that descriptor. But, compared to my JBLs, when playing jazz with piano accompaniment or harmony vocals, the sound is artificial, not particular high-fidelity, and the vocals and the accompanying instruments get a bit muddled together. There's a nice cut on Lyle Lovett's "Joshua Judges Ruth" with Ricky Lee Jones singing harmony. Say what you will about her, this is a really nice song, but Lyle and Ricky come out of the Sansui as if they melded their voices into an almost indistinguishable blob. Likewise the piano on (any) Fourplay CD gets lost as background instrumentation where on the (any) JBL it's truly a solo instrument playing its part and not really coming out of a soup can after all.

I suppose like most 10-inchers, the Sansui will benefit from placement and some barrier reinforcment. Together with my LX22s they might make an okay small HT system for my brother-in-law's living room. I had slated the L80Ts for him but I'm enjoying them fairly often, mostly to compare and contrast to the L96s just to reassure me one really is that much better than the other. It's often kind of hard to rationalize the enthusiastic following the L96 gets here when your main system is an 18" 4-way JBL monitor and the second system is L7s, but they are stars compared to nearly anything else, for sure. The L80Ts, as updated and nice as they are, prove this whenever I want to. And the occasional interloper like the Sansui really cements that impression.

And then I take the same CD downstairs and play it on the bi-amped 4345s and wonder, "Why do I have all these other speakers?"

That's all you're gonna get from this loquacious Virginian on that topic right now (though I'm actually from Harry Truman's home state). If you know some Sansui fan in the Mid-Atlantic area who has a hole in their collection just waiting for this model, tell them I don't accept cash but will take nearly anything JBL in trade!

Sorry, I just type quickly becauase I do a lot of it for a living.

original L166's (yes, there are 2) ...B&O 4002 ..works great
    made offer on Horizons and he countered 40 percent LOWER

oh yeah,,some Senn HD414's..need pads

Pristine !!!!
    yes- there are 2 with boxes w/all hang tags , original waranty & instructions
    just played them for half hour,,,foams are usable (tho dont know for how long)

was watching a B&O 4002 just like mine in the above post....WOW !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120444385288

--BANG & OLUFSEN TURNTABLE--BEOGRAM 4002--EXTRAORDINARY!

Winning bid:US $510.00

was going after licorice pizzas today when I noticed the fancy binding posts of early L-series JBL's ...well, they were Altec 893B Coronas ....I applied all the available discounts ( vet , over 60 , grumpy , sunday..ec) and took them home for a reasonable price....gave 'em some program at home -didnt expect much as drivers are unimpressive looking- and Alrighty !!!! sound much better than they appear ...like a budget Altec version of L-26's

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    and a really decent pair L-56....need foam/rubber natch, but cabs and grills and HF's all look great !!!! and all for under ...
    they sure look like rubber, but I read they (L56) are foam, anyone know for sure ???
    sold the L56's today to a repeat customer (he got my L-166s also) ...anyway I set them up on tilted stands and connected to the Denon receiver and they gave an outstanding performance...hadnt run them in a while and had forgotten how good they were .....if you ever find a pair at a good price,,dont hesitate to pull the trigger recommended.

I really get a kick out of this thread. Its alot of fun. How many speakers have you gone through, and how many do you still have?

Thread Information