Thread: DIY with Car Audio equipment?

DIY with Car Audio equipment?

I've been thinking about making my own Front speakers with some Car audio gear I have left over. I was looking at a 4 way setup/ or really a 3 way with sub attached. I will be makeing my own boxes. Most likely using some Pro Amps, in the 500 - 1000 watt range to power them. And they will be tri or bi amped. Most likely 1000 watts to two JBL GTi 15's in the base, and then 500-800 watts to the 6.5" and 1" tweeter from the GTI608 set ups I have. I'm looking for a 8" or 10" midbass for the setup though. I think I'll run the 6.5 with the tweet using the crossover that came with them. The 8/10" mid will be getting about 800 watts to it and the all the speakers will be in thier recomended space. Is there any chance this can work out nicely?

Are you quoting "peak" power or "RMS" power?

RMS is a good, standardized measurement. Use RMS power when matching a speaker to an amp, or when comparing speakers to each other. On the other hand, "Peak power" is not very well defined, and has turned into an ugly marketing gimmick in the car audio industry.

Remember that car audio is a totally different application than pro or home audio. It might be hard to set up the box / crossover for a home speaker. Does JBL publish TS parameters for car audio products?

Sorry, I've been in Car audio long enough to know that Peak is useless, I always quote RMS.

As far as TS? I'm not following.

I know I can get suggested box volumes from JBL along with frequency range suggestions. I can also do most/all of the crossover setup in a pre amp location.

http://www.jbl.com/car/products/prod...at=COS&ser=GTI

That one?

With a sensitivity of 89 dB and a max RMS of 150W, the numbers you're throwing out do not make sense. 110+ dB isn't loud enough?

Also, why are you talking about three-way when that will reach to 50 Hz? :dont-know

T/S parameters are in the manual....

That is the set, although the 150 RMS they list is not enough to power them correctly, they seem to be very happy with about 300 RMS and I would assume that going to 500 RMS would mean I have a lot of head room.

As far as the 50hz from a 6.5" speaker, I know they sound great down to about 100 hz, but I don't know if I want to let them cover that much ground...I think a 8 or 10 to cover 40/45- 150/200 hz would pull everything together better.

anyone else have any more information for me?

RIP 2009
    These 2250's would be ideal for lower midrange, but expensive: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=17663

Otherwise, look at stuff like 10" 2123's or 2012H, or track down some 8" 2118's.

John

Thread Information