Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Underpowering JBL 250TIs....??

Musical watts is not a constant.

The key is not to run your amp into clipping or distortion...distortion kills voice coils because of the DC voltage offset nature of clipping that overheats the coil by pushing it partially out of the gap with no movement, thus eliminating the heatsinking ability of the motor structure.

There is a balance between over and underpowering....sure speakers can be overpowered too...but boy would that be loud.

At any given reasonable listening level with a good quality amp, the 400 watt amp will have way less of a chance to clip than a 100 watt amp.

And it will sound better too.

Moderation is the key..and common sense. if it sounds distorted or scratchy...turn it down.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Understood.

My Nak has never clipped and living in an apartment, I never crank it up at all. Normal to above normal listening levels.

So, what is the verdict?

Do I need a better amp or am I fine?

I am not being rude, I just dont want to ruin the speakers.

Thank you.

-Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Musical watts is not a constant.

The key is not too run your amp into clipping or distortion...distortion kills voice coils because of the DC voltage offset nature of clipping that overheats the coil by pushing it partially out of the gap with no movement, thus eliminating the heatsinking ability of the motor structure.

There is a balance between over and underpowering....sure speakers can be overpowered too...but boy would that be loud.

At any given reasonable listening level with a good quality amp, the 400 watt amp will have way less of a chance to clip than a 100 watt amp.

And it will sound better too.

Moderation is the key..and common sense. if it sounds distorted or scratchy...turn it down.

Nakamichi PA5 Stasis amplifier. 100wpc into 8ohms,160wpc into 4ohms....Dynamic power 150wpc into 8ohms,270wpc into 4ohms....Dynamic Headroom 1.7db into 8ohms, 2.2db into 4ohms....Output current capability 12 amps continuous, 35 amps peak per channel...Power supply; 450watt toroidial transformer.

My opinion is you should be just fine given your living conditions and the fact it's a Nak. Some 100 wpc amps are better than others.

Stay with the Nak.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I am still confused..

If JBL recommends one to power speakers with more than needed watts, then why do they only state the "MAXIMUM WATTS PER CHANNEL" in their catalogs?

You would think they would have a minimum watts per channel.

So, am I really underpowering them or am I fine?

Thanks.

-Storm.
    Storm, amps are rated at minimum wattage whereas speakers are rated at maximum wattage.An example is that my SX1250 is rated at 160 Watts rms per channel but I have read numerous post and articles that it is closer to 200 watts per channel.An amplifier or receiver must meet minimum stated wattage but can be in excess of stated wattage.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    Storm, amps are rated at minimum wattage whereas speakers are rated at maximum wattage.
    If we are talking about damaging speakers, wouldn't the makers of both want to be on the same page so one knows which one to get in order not to damage anything?

Just my $0.02 worth.

-Storm.

If we are talking about damaging speakers, wouldn't the makers of both want to be on the same page so one knows which one to get in order not to damage anything?

Just my $0.02 worth.

-Storm.
    Unfortunately it's just not that simple. But I do agree that consumers should be made more aware of the fact that underpowering speakers is more likely to damage them than overpowering for the reasons stated earlier.

Just my $0.02 worth.

-Storm.
    In a perfect world...yes. But you know how perfect this world is.

Along with that...not all manufacturers answer to the same ethical standards.

Some quality amps are deliberately rated on the conservative side, while others are rated...well...let's just say on the optimistic side.

Storm, it sounds like given your cirumstances, you're fine.

Just use it wisely, that's all.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

clmrt
    You're fine, Storm.

As you may have read, I've had as much as 225w available per channel and currently run 15w.

Granted the 225 watter worked better than the 15, but when I had an HK PA2200, rated @ 100 per with no headroom (guessing on my part, since the specs look weak) it would play very loud with authority for long periods and I could detect no stress. Iron Maiden, 98db peaks in the room, for an entire album...which is plenty damn loud. I wasn't even in there for most of it - I just wanted to see if the rig could do it, and it did.

Your Nak is a class or two above that, and your domestic situation won't allow it to approach the danger zone. You're just experiencing normal paranoia audiophilia. Don't start chasing power amps. Let them come to you through happenstance.

Yes, it does.

When it clips, two red LEDS flicker.

With the valencias, I cranked it up so high I clipped it a couple times. Learned my lesson quickly.

-Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    dont know the piece..does it have clipping LEDS ?

Yes, it does.

When it clips, two red LEDS flicker.

With the valencias, I cranked it up so high I clipped it a couple times. Learned my lesson quickly.

-Storm.
    There you have your own answer. If it clips, turn it down.

If this happens a lot and the result is that you're unhappy with the volume level you can safely get, then look for another amp.

If this happens a lot and the result is that you're unhappy with the volume level you can safely get, then look for another amp.
    ...and make friends with a budding otologist.

My thinking is that you might try out different amplifier types as you have
    the funds and desire, rather than concentrate on watts and clipping... or
    just enjoy the fine sounds that you have and pursue more important things

-grumpy

Since the tweets are no longer repairable and this is what is most likely to be damaged if you do go into clipping, I wonder if you can fuse the tweets as an additional protection.

Don't know if it is possible or worth trying but might be food for thought and I bet Zilch would have the answer.

Gary

I think that is the bottom end of the power range for a loudspeaker that has the potential for dynamic range like the 250.

If you have it in a bedroom okay but 100 watts is not going to give you any headroom on that one ocassion when you need it.

Try a more powerful amp (300-400 watts, don't bother with 150 or 200 watts) if you have the opportunity but getting the same quality as the Naka at a good price is going to be stuff.

A big Bryston would be nice or this that is too $$ look at the Crown or QSC stuff. (even hire one and try it out)

I run my L250s (not 250Tis) with a Hafler SR2600 (600W/ch) and they can produce an immense amount of sound with no disortion. I usualy stop at around 1/3 rotation of the volume knob on the pre/pro, with the amp gains set at 0.

Thread Information