Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Preamp recommendations ?

Killer deal! I like Adcom stuff

been looking for both myself, not sure which exact preamp model yet but a 2 channel remote and a DAC.They have a 700 model DAC, not sure the difference yet.

Again great score

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    They have a 700 model DAC, not sure the difference yet.

Again great score

Mark
    I dont know the diff either , ASSUME newer DAC chip..there are a number of sites instructing on how to hot rod the 600

User Comments
    GDA-600

PCM63 for Peanuts
    Bruce, Ca. (4/24/2007) This is an outstanding DAC and the cheapest way I know of to get the mighty Burr-Brown PCM63 (multi-bit)treatment for your CD's. Highly praised by Stereophile in 1994, it deserves every accolade. Lots of weight and slam.

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic...._page_number=4

The Adcom GDA 600 does indeed employ the highly competent Burr Brown PCM 63 20 bit resistor ladder dacs. This is the very unit that Robert Harley paired with the original DTI Pro which has a 24 bit chip as opposed to the DTI Pro 32 which has a 32 bit floating point chip although the two use the same resolution enhancement algorithm.

According to Robert Harley the pairing of the DTI Pro and the GDA 600 was a "sonic revelation" and compared the sound to many DAC's he'd heard that sold in the neighborhood of $4,000. Coming from a guy who uses a Mark Levinson No.31/No.30.5 Digital front end that is high praise indeed.

this link is really good for drilling down to find the model with specs that you want

http://www.adcom-usa.com/prod/shopdi...ries.asp?sid=1
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Mark

so the other day I biked past "Audio Specialties" , the top repair shop / used gear gallery in the Willamette Valley ...Doug, the owner, is one of the good guys , I even introduced Mr. W. to Doug and he agreed with my assessment.

Doug had an Audio Research tube preamp for sale marked at big bux. I relayed to him that I was interested, but had just picked up an Adcom pre that was pretty nice too...and I thot Adcom was good bang for the buck / built well.

He just normally goes about business unless you are waving around $$ , all of a sudden he comes alive and replies "yup , great stuff for the money" , "OBTW , I have access to everything that comes thru the store , I took that AR pre home and my Adcom GFP-5XX was sooo much better"....he gave me the model number and now I'm on the lookout for it too

Me too - I have a couple deployed.

But the home "mains" run off a Bryston BP26 DA - thanks to advice from Widget. The difference was, well, audible...

Quoting Seawolf:

"I also avoided the black plastic and found a very solid metal , meticulously built unit that has the feel of aircraft instrumentation"

One cannot get those hours spent flying in Helos out of his system. I have not.

That's a GOOD thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    Hello
    If you like the Hafler sound take a look at the DH110 preamp.

Mike Caldwell
    funny thing is that I now have one of these. Found a good one, cheap,cheap,cheap. Had noisy pots , but OK now. Sounds pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post
    Quoting Seawolf:

"I also avoided the black plastic and found a very solid metal , meticulously built unit that has the feel of aircraft instrumentation"

One cannot get those hours spent flying in Helos out of his system. I have not.

That's a GOOD thing!
    After working with MILSPEC, most popular priced gear looks/feels like junque.

In Saigon (2007) the street venders had piles of gauges from helos/fixed rotor aircraft for sale , they must have parted out everything we left.

OT: now the US govt. is buying Russian helos ??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...p_ref=politics

Thread Information