Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Preamp recommendations ?

[quote=Storm;178620]I think we already covered that. He does not want Mac stuff.

If you want to use a preamp that's not too expensive, I can highly recommend
    you the harman citation 17.
    It sound s very well with my 4350 studio monitors.
    A well maintained and serviced piece can, in my opinion, easily compete with
    some of the Mac's.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/THEVAU...ITATION17.html

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I am very happy with the APT/Holman unit , no issues at all, BUT the fabled BGW 203 preamp came up on eBay this week (only the 2nd in a year - thanx for the tip, Loach71) so I bid and won. Will prolly be a week before I see it, but then can A/B with APT . keep the better of the 2 OR save one for backup ?

I would personally keep both and sell the other pres you are not using...

you are 'the man' at finding stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    I would personally keep both and sell the other pres you are not using...
    I think I agree with you. Mailed out the yamaha c-4 yesterday to D.C. - to a guy at the NSF, and still have the Hafler dh-101 for sale (hate to see it go, sounds so nice), but 1 main preamp and 1 backup shud be enuff.

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    you are 'the man' at finding stuff....
    that comes from being retired for 5 years. ( retired at 53 , dont know why I waited so long ) , but I started accumulating mucho gear at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    the fabled BGW 203 preamp came up on eBay this week (only the 2nd in a year - thanx for the tip, Loach71) so I bid and won.
    So today is the 18th, I sent the seller this message today " Ok, its been 12 days since I paid for this item. Its only going to Oregon. I dont have it. Not 1 email from you. IS IT TIME TO START AN EBAY COMPLAINT ??? "

and now the very FIRST communication from the seller:

Hello
    Sorry for the delay.The unit was sent alreadt via fedex.This is te tracking number #045796810023652.Thanks and apologize for the inconvinints.
    Rafael

So now I check with FEDEX tracking .....picked up at 5:02 today.

A$$hole Seller ID=santamaria461
    (in case you ever want to bid with him)

__________________________________________________ ______

from FEDEX tracking

Jan 18, 2008 5:02 PM

Picked up

ANAHEIM, CA

received the BGW 203 ( 18 days after I paid - only went from Cal to Oregon )

eBay Ad stated "SOUND CORNER Auctions prides itself on the quality of items sold. We pack and ship our items professionally to ensure each item you buy from us arrives safely and in the listed condition."

What a joke !!!! A huge monitor box with loosly wadded up newspaper for fill and a tiny little handwritten label.

Fortunately - it was in good condition ... weights 22 pounds, guess they couldnt throw it around.

seem to work fine, have only tried with phones and a portable CD player for input.

was parting out a dead Sansui receiver and noticed the wood case was approx size so slipped it on...maybe with a little mods it will be OK.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I know the original point of this thread is now moot with the arrival of Seawolf's BGW, but his ordeal reminded me of my last pre-amp purchase only months ago when my Ebay purchase got sent to someone else who bought a Kenwood amp from the same seller. And guess what I got? Wrapped the same as Wolf's BGW and rattling around in the box. I re-packaged the Kenwood and sent it back to FedEx who made the incorrect swap in the first place but I eventually got my Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control Four and highly recommend it in this price range. I paid $113 plus shipping and I know you're tired of hearing from me about Soundcraftsmen, but the darn thing has the sweetest controls, fantastic input capacity, and two loop circuits if you just have way too much stuff to connect. It adds nothing to the sound path unless you want it to and offers slick digital switching and a superb volume control, IMHO, but I'd buy another. Here are the fuzzy auction photos:

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I know the original point of this thread is now moot with the arrival of Seawolf's BGW,
    no sweat...I enjoy reading others opinions on preamps. wish I had known about the soundcraftsman when I started the search.

OBTW - Still have to sell the Hafler dh-101 preamp. Anyone ?

Got the BGW 203 preamp installed today. trimmed and detailed the ex-Sansui/now BGW wood case. This is a big unit with 19 inch rack face and 21 + pounds.
    The switches and controls seem commercial grade and very heavy duty. At this point, I dont see a need for the EQ any longer ( and the SRS is out too ), the tone controls are doing all that I need ( there is seperate BASS & Treb for each channel).
    It doesnt have all the bells & whissles of the APT , but it seems extreemly clear and transparent...I guess thats all you need from a preamp ??

(All the above saved the seller from a neg - tho he deserved it)

After 6 weeks using the BGW 203....I went back to the APT.

no problems with the BGW, it was just large and didnt have the control of the APT , tho sound was just as good.

These little APT/Holman's (Holmen ??) are jewels, if you ever need a good pre , and dont have too much money to spend, they are worth seeking out..

What about a good Nakamichi pre amp? Like a CA5-AII or a CA5?

Those are cheap - under $300.00 and well worth the money!

Nak.

lovethatsound ,

I have a Nak CA 11 sitting here doing nothing . Mint condition. You would need to get someone to convert to US power,but like I said "MINT" 200 bucks + shipping.

Rich

Apt/Holman Preamp

I had one of these for around 5 years. It was just about perfect... never put a foot wrong and I have absolutely no idea why I sold it. I believe that I imported it from the USA when I was living in Germany.
    Now I am using an equally good (but more limited) pre-amp, The Pass Labs X2. The construction of this is a bit OTT but it has nice touches.. such as the front panel never getting marked by finger tips because the control knobs have large skirts. The edges of the case are very sharp and that is my only criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by georgebrooke View Post
    I had one of these for around 5 years. It was just about perfect... never put a foot wrong and I have absolutely no idea why I sold it.
    agree 100 percent ...every now and then there is a product thats "just right" and the APT is it...

Quote Originally Posted by lovethatsound View Post
    What about a good Nakamichi pre amp? Like a CA5-AII or a CA5?
    !
    And as I've told you in the past NotStorm, Nak and Mac are not what I want.

Sorry !

Seawolf ,

sorry mate . I jumped in as usual . I didn't realise this was the same thread.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Seawolf ,

sorry mate . I jumped in as usual . I didn't realise this was the same thread.
    Rich
    nO PROBLEM , Rich ..I always appreciate your comments

(least you arent some banned wanker pretending he's someone else , 'cause he moved and got a different IP.)

Thread Information