Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL D123 Cabinet Ports?

I ordered some speaker connection plates with gold binding posts from Parts Express, plus some of that foam seal.

Here are the ports I made. One is painted black and the other unpainted. I installed the painted one and left the other speaker port unedited. What difference should I be hearing? I have these speakers downstairs on a thin piece of carpet on concrete. The speaker with the port edit seams to have a little more bass resonance than the unedited one. The unedited one seems a little more punchy? I haven't done the foam seal around anything yet, nor have I moved the tweeter to the front of the tweeter baffle. While I am disconnecting the wires to add the new binding post connections and to move the tweeter, I picked up some 18ga hook-up wire from Radio Shack to rewire from the 30 plus year old wire that is in them.

That sounds right. The ports aren't going to really do their job properly 'til you get all of the other leaks sealed....

This is the wiring that is in one of the speakers. Not sure which one is + or - on the speaker connector on the back, but assuming the + goes to red on the woofer, here it is. Also assuming the red mark on the tweeter is positive. Is anything not correct?

Bo

The basic wiring is correct, yes.

Whether the tweeter should be connected in phase or reverse phase depends upon many factors.

Try it both ways and do what sounds best in your system.

Did anyone know the make of the tweeters in these? See the photo previously posted.

The reason I want to know is that I am thinking of selling them and wanted to post what brand tweeter is in them.

Thank you for any info.

Bo

Listening Experience

Well, after listening to these for awhile I think the full rangeness of the JBL doesn’t have the upper range for the treble. And the tweeters don’t seem to be working well. These don’t have a 2 way crossover so I was wondering if there was a JBL 2 way crossover that would work with these. Thanks for any info.

Bo

Thread Information