Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 60's Altec info

60's Altec info

looking for info to distinguish Carmel and Avalon ... found components as
    414-series 12" drivers (pair) and 804 or perhaps later 806 driver on 811B,
    800Hz crossover. Both appear to be similar (or identical) lowboy type cabs
    with legs (~6") or a short pedestal. Not sure about the reliability of this info
    vs. stock...:dont-know

thanks and regards, -grumpy

something like an 844 flipped to used on the floor...

Altec 1965 cabinet listing

a kind person offered this pdf (includes 858A, 855A, 856A, and 859A cabinet info, which is a start):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grumpy, I had a pair of Carmel's years ago. They had a pair of 414Z, 811B, 806A and I think the xover was an N800E or F in each cabinet.

I'm not familiar with the other model you mention.

Charles.

Thank you sir!

I may be mistaken but I dimly recall that the Avalon used a single 414 in the same sized box as the Carmel which used a pair.

Thanks Tom,

At this point, I think I'll punt and just replace the baffle boards to serve my whim.
    The cabinets have been modified to run 604's, and came without rear-panel ID labels.
    They were claimed to be Avalon's and I was curious about their lineage.
    There are two sets of 414's for sale in Canada that could turn these into ersatz
    Carmel's, but that's $$$ and I picked these up for fun .

-grumpy

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to confirm what Tom Brennan posted.

The Avalon and Carmel do have the same cabinet and components. The difference is that the Avalon has a single woofer and the Carmel has two woofers. According to my audiophile uncle, it was a common mod at the time to purchase an Avalon, then add the second woofer to convert it to a Carmel configuration. (He did it to his Avalon.)

W

Aloha wws944

Heathkit also came out in the '50's with the "Legato" line that used Altec components. They were grey color paint.
    There were several different configurations.
    Most are familiar with the Legato HH-1 that used two 15" woofers and the 511 horn and 802 driver. It came in different finishes.
    They also had one that had the 12" woofers in a similar design in a low boy cabinet with short legs.
    I also seem to remember in one brochure that they had a design listed with a single 12" or 15" woofer too.
    Back then the 15" woofers has the paper surrounds. I can't remember if the 12" woofers did also. I would have to dig out the papers and brochures from my files to verify it.
    Here is a link to the Heathkit museum with a pict and info on the Legato 15".
    http://www.heathkit-museum.com/hifi/hvmhh-1-c.shtml

The semi-retired Altec dealer where I live has mentioned numerous times to me that he prefers the 9844 design for its sound over the 15" models.

Steve

Altec Avalon

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum.

I have a pair of Altec Avalon and have been searching for information about them so I stumbled upon this forum! The speakers are loaded with the 804A, (1) 414Z and N-800-F crossover.

The outsides are a little beaten up, but I can't complain, a friend parted with them for $150 after I helped him move. I can post pictures if anyone would like. I have not played them as other speaker projects have been calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Grillsargeant View Post
    Hello all,

I'm new to this forum.

I have a pair of Altec Avalon and have been searching for information about them so I stumbled upon this forum! The speakers are loaded with the 804A, (1) 414Z and N-800-F crossover.

The outsides are a little beaten up, but I can't complain, a friend parted with them for $150 after I helped him move. I can post pictures if anyone would like. I have not played them as other speaker projects have been calling.
    Welcome Grillsageant.....Wow, that is a sweet score....I am sure they sound like great!

please do post some pictures....we would love to see them....!

Shaan

On a similar topic, I've been hunting down parts to restore a pair of Carmels and think I have everything now so I can start my project. However now I'm wondering if I have the correct horns- I picked up a pair of 806-8A/811B, but it appears that the originals were 804? Can anyone advise if these are (somewhat) interchangeable?

Thanks- Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDA View Post
    On a similar topic, I've been hunting down parts to restore a pair of Carmels and think I have everything now so I can start my project. However now I'm wondering if I have the correct horns- I picked up a pair of 806-8A/811B, but it appears that the originals were 804? Can anyone advise if these are (somewhat) interchangeable?

Thanks- Mark

The 804 and 806 are the same driver, I mean exactly the same. For some reason Altec changed the number from 804 to 806.

That's great news, Tom. Thanks. I was also a little concerned because the 806 horn doesn't completely fill the open cutout on the front baffle. The prior owner had just stuck in a piece of plywood with a cone mid and dome tweeter mounted on it, so I've never seen it done 'right'.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDA View Post
    That's great news, Tom. Thanks. I was also a little concerned because the 806 horn doesn't completely fill the open cutout on the front baffle. The prior owner had just stuck in a piece of plywood with a cone mid and dome tweeter mounted on it, so I've never seen it done 'right'.

Mark---The horn isn't supposed to fill the entire hole, the spaces to the sides are the bass reflex ports for the woofer. Note the photo shown of my Heath AS-21s, a Heathkit version of the Altec Carmel. See the space to the side of the horn where the grillcloth shows through? That's one of the ports.

In this photo you can see the ports on either side of the horn.

Thanks, Tom. Is there any concern over the tweeter impedance, or are they all the same in that regard too? I've made sure to get all the same 414-Z woofers.

Thread Information