Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Dinner in England!!

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    You guys are too kind

Hey, I aint Kind . I'm hoping for an expensive , esoteric present

welcome home , post some more pics !

Rich

Well the new Orb album's worth a listen and not out over here... a copy for you sir. Sadly I couldn't find anyone to ship the Nissan Skyline coupe.

Didn't take many pictures - too busy listening to rather large Westlakes. You would love the maid bars Rich.

What?

What, no bloody westlake's for moi........ ? Your forgiven.
    the new ORB sounds good. As long as it aint waylon and bloody willie.

Thats done it I'll be next to get banned now.

Dinner soon Mate !

Rich

Nice to hear from you Merlin.

Ian

The JBL Day at Rich's

Hi,
    I seem to have been remiss in not posting the photos of Rich's Day. One of the reasons (I think) was the discussion that I had with Rich. Until I saw what he had been up to my hobby was quietly meandering along, with a tweak here and a tweak there and generally a hobby-approach to improvements. Then I saw Rich's work! Not only self-made, but of the highest quality finish and, of course, sound. Since then I have been reworking my own plans to try to get halfway to that standard. As he is (apparently) leaving the country I might get a bit of peace out of this, but due to the Internet, I doubt it.
    Anyway, here are my photos. Rich has got the best combination of workshop and listening room that I have ever come across. The space needed for speakers like the 4545s is considerable and here they could really shine. I was not there just as an observer. Rich needed me to help himself and Ian get the speakers onto an elevated plinth (possibly a pair of railway sleepers?). Anyway, it all worked out fine and it was a really great listening day and an opportunity to meet some new friends. Thanks to all involved

George
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post

welcome home , post some more pics !

Rich
    Karaoke done properly!

JBL 4645
    Ian

My digital camera really sucks for £50.00 pounds and those digital images Ian, I like them, the tone of the light and shadow looks wonderful, focus is sharp, it’s almost like being there.

JBL 4645

Rich

Do you think the JBL 4345 sound best on a concrete floor, and if so would a customized wooden floor made of timber beams and layered with sheets of MDF over it, make for a good sounding platform for the loudspeakers?

Its improbably for Rich to know as he has not heard them in another environment as yet.

I was fortunate to have heard them at Bo's , at Rick's and Rich during my breakfast in America tour in September 2007 and at home in the Tardis.

In each instance the rooms were entirely different but I enjoyed each encounter.

I leave to the owners to describe if they wish their impressions in their rooms.

Ian

Edit : The pommie git was more concerned about whether he had it "right" when I was there and it did not take me long to earn my board and keep. Then there was the "british" blooding moaning & constant nagging that went on for days about the midrange until we got artistic span the diaghragms on the turntable with some aquaplas.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Its improbably for Rich to know as he has not heard them in another environment as yet.

I was fortunate to have heard them at Bo's , at Rick's and Rich during my breakfast in America tour in September 2007 and at home in the Tardis.

In each instance the rooms were entirely different but I enjoyed each encounter.

I leave to the owners to describe if they wish their impressions in their rooms.

Ian

Edit : The pommie git was more concerned about whether he had it "right" when I was there and it did not take me long to earn my board and keep. Then there was the "british" blooding moaning & constant nagging that went on for days about the midrange until we got artistic span the diaghragms on the turntable with some aquaplas.
    Ian

Well at any rate I think concrete is a good surface, thanks.

Yes an no,

Great for sleeping on if you have a crook back and great for a work shop.

But it does not allow the low frequency energy to escape the way a wooden floor does.

Ian

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Yes an no,

Great for sleeping on if you have a crook back and great for a work shop.

But it does not allow the low frequency energy to escape the way a wooden floor does.

Ian
    So is concrete are friend or foe for sound?

Mass

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    So is concrete are friend or foe for sound?

Ashley,

concrete in mass is our best friend. If the floor is pre-cast and post-tensioned (SPRUNG FLOOR) need I say more ? 25 mm MDF on the floor , isolated from the floor will absorb the energy . Remember your room is basically an extension of the enclosure . open windows and doors are your ports. If you put the sofa on the MDF floor you will not need so much volume to achieve the same experience .

Please ! someone jump in If I'm talking through my arse

Rich

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Ashley,

concrete in mass is our best friend. If the floor is pre-cast and post-tensioned (SPRUNG FLOOR) need I say more ? 25 mm MDF on the floor , isolated from the floor will absorb the energy . Remember your room is basically an extension of the enclosure . open windows and doors are your ports. If you put the sofa on the MDF floor you will not need so much volume to achieve the same experience .

Please ! someone jump in If I'm talking through my arse

Rich
    Rich

That sounds technically correct to me.

It would help if you knew why you were asking the question here.

I sense you are really trying to relate this to your new flat with your sub.

That being, please realise its a case by case thing and you are best to open a new thread with all the background facts rather than distort this thread with OT noise.

If Andy is watching he would be the best qualified to answer you questions in the appropriate place and context.

Ian

Thread Information